Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 AM

23,456 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with it.

This is just evolutionary change. Cheshire Bridge got beaten up a little when folks started running to the burbs in the 1960s and 70s but there was always a solid residential core around there. As the city has started getting back on its feet it's hardly surprising that commercial corridors like CBR are catching their second wind.

As always, the strip clubs, adult bookstores and late night hangouts will move along and find another spot where rents are cheap. It's the way of the world.
The thing is, for all the ballyhoo that Lenox Park NIMBYs have made over CBR, I fail to see what real negative impact it has had on their neighborhood. It certainly hasn't impacted their property values; it's one of the hottest intown neighborhoods around. Even the prudes should concede that only a handful of the businesses on the street have anything to do with sex.

Tokyo Valentino (sex toys and videos)
Onyx (female dancers)
BJ Roosters (male dancers)
Southern Nights (sex videos)
Tease (female dancers)

It's really a tempest in a teapot when you think about it. Besides, normally these businesses operate in a very controlled security environment. A convenience store probably poses more of a threat to a community from a crime standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,293 times
Quote:
Funny, other people said that, too. I was actually on a business mission and was risking my safety for a beat up gooseneck trailer.
FIB isn't that bad. If you're just passing thru, going to work or making a quick stop to meet someone you'll be fine. I would however, keep my head on a swivel leaving one of those clubs and walking thru the parking lot back to my car at night.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The thing is, for all the ballyhoo that Lenox Park NIMBYs have made over CBR, I fail to see what real negative impact it has had on their neighborhood. It certainly hasn't impacted their property values; it's one of the hottest intown neighborhoods around. Even the prudes should concede that only a handful of the businesses on the street have anything to do with sex.

Tokyo Valentino (sex toys and videos)
Onyx (female dancers)
BJ Roosters (male dancers)
Southern Nights (sex videos)
Tease (female dancers)

It's really a tempest in a teapot when you think about it. Besides, normally these businesses operate in a very controlled security environment. A convenience store probably poses more of a threat to a community from a crime standpoint.
From the few folks I know over there, it wasn't really prudery. It was more that they hoped to foster a "shops and cafes" kind of neighborhood retail, a la Virginia Highland. It's hard to attract those kinds of businesses into the midst of a bunch of adult entertainment venues, which tend to be bunker-like and heavily auto oriented. Adult entertainment venues typically don't devote much attention to their exterior appearance or pedestrian friendliness.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
You were risking your safety by carrying all those one dollar bills on your person when you went in there. Mmm hmm, just sayin'.
What if I had to tip the valet or buy something out of a vending machine or give somebody change for a five? There are plenty of reasons I might have needed a bunch of ones, LD!

Old 12-03-2016, 05:59 AM

72,984 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
LMAO. Pretty sure 95% of the people on this site have never and wouldn't ever step a foot in any of those spots. I'm not ashamed to admit that in my younger days I was very familiar with The Wax, Babes, Dirty Ratts( yes that was actually the name) and even went in Trapeze a few times. FIB is still sketch AF but back then it was a complete den of debauchery. I used to go because usually the spots on FIB were 420 friendly, you could roll up and spark while sitting at the bar watching the game or shooting pool. I think a lot of the strip club culture here, especially in those hood spots, is based more on hanging out than just simply perving out to some naked women.
I would never go to those clubs either. I've never been in them, never will. I went to a strip club one time, haven't been back since.

I just mention Fulton Industrial because that really is a red light district. Strip clubs, drugs, prostitution.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:04 AM

72,984 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Fulton Industrial is fine with me and it does have MARTA.

Another option would be a low performing mall or power center. That way we could have everything under one roof. There'd be plenty of parking and we could supplement with light rail and bike sharing.
I work around the FIB corridor. I don't hang out there at dark. One reason I don't visit those strip clubs. Something else. MARTA Bus goes there, not MARTA Rail.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:20 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,782 times
via their Facebook page, The Jungle has announced that they were unable to renew their lease with the new building owners. The final event at the club will be Saturday, 11 November.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:13 PM

Default !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
via their Facebook page, The Jungle has announced that they were unable to renew their lease with the new building owners. The final event at the club will be Saturday, 11 November.
More apartments and another casualty of gentrification. Get out'd the way!

Old 09-21-2017, 04:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,051,626 times
I wonder if we'll ever be able to replace the Cheshire Bridge corridor.

With the rise of apps like Grindr and gay acceptance, gay people seem to be spreading out all over the city and they don't need bars or clubs to hook-up anymore. That makes me wonder if the days of being able to count on gay people to move into an area and make it awesome in short order are gone forever. Where will all the gay bars go when the Heretic and BJ Roosters finally fall? Or will the community just deal with these places being gone?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:40 PM

20 posts, read 18,225 times
Cheshire Bridge I'm excited for.
So much potential.

So many empty parking lots and old buildings.
With great access to the highway, Lenox Mall area, Lindbergh Center, Piedmont, etc.

They should even rename it so South Lenox Road.
A complete rebrand of the street of sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta