Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2017, 03:21 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Oh, this I gotta hear/read...
Read the paper (or about any other one on the subject) then: http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Many of the examples are suburban highways.

Honestly, induced demand is much clearer on suburban highways than the city center. People already lived in the city center before highways so you would not see an urban highway causing people to move there to use it, actually the opposite. So I'd even say Induced Demand is primary a suburban phenomenon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:21 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
It's already been explained over and over again that this is part of widening all of RURAL I 85 up to SC. Not a single person is going to move to Commerce because they widened I 85. And there are already no alternative routes for I 85 so people aren't going to reroute to 85 just because of this.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Read the paper (or about any other one on the subject) then: http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Honestly, induced demand is much clearer on suburban highways than the city center. People already lived in the city center before highways so you would not see an urban highway causing people to move there to use it, actually the opposite. So I'd even say Induced Demand is primary a suburban phenomenon.
And none of the area of concern is suburban. Past Hamilton Mill it's solidly exurban to rural.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:

Even if that were true, what does that have anything to do with a rural GDOT interstate project, which is what this thread is about? Rural is not suburban.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Even if that were true, what does that have anything to do with a rural GDOT interstate project, which is what this thread is about? Rural is not suburban.
I think about anyone out there would consider Barrow and Gwinnett suburban counties. What makes you think they are "rural"? I mean maybe 50 years ago when I-85 was first being built, but then you know, that whole induced-demand thing happened and now oh, look now we "need" another lane to handle all this "rural" traffic.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Quit being dishonest, jsvh. Makes you look pathetic.

This project begins at the northern fringe of Gwinnett, which you could maybe call the outer edge of exurban, and it ends at the SC border. This I-85 project has nothing to do with Atlanta or its suburbs. It's primarily about interstate traffic. As in, commerce and travel between states.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:38 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,598 times
Quote:

...So I'd even say Induced Demand is primary a suburban phenomenon.
I will point out, again, that this widening project is out *beyond* the suburbs.

Also, you really need to read the PDF link for yourself. It actually does say that roadway expansion in rural areas doesn't generate [latent] demand at the rate that it does in urban areas.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Quit being dishonest, jsvh. Makes you look pathetic.

This project begins at the northern fringe of Gwinnett, which you could maybe call the outer edge of exurban, and it ends at the SC border. This I-85 project has nothing to do with Atlanta or its suburbs. It's primarily about interstate traffic. As in, commerce and travel between states.
The insults do not help your case primaltech.

Considering this all takes place inside the metro Atlanta area and even the northern boundary of this widening is just as close to Atlanta city limits as SC state line, it seems like a very weak claim. If this is to serve traffic going out of state, wouldn't we need to widen it all the way through South Carolina?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:41 PM

Seriously, if this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3296.../data=!3m1!1e3

...was going to transform into Atlanta suburbia, why would it going from 4 to 6 lanes make it suddenly do that?

Old 06-30-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Seriously, if this area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.3296.../data=!3m1!1e3

...was going to transform into Atlanta suburbia, why would it going from 4 to 6 lanes make it suddenly do that?
Do you think as many people would be living in north Gwinnett if 85 was still 4 lanes the whole length?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta