Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 262,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what is it about MN that you dislike?

I only ask because you mentioned it a few times, and I just want to be certain that maybe some of the same issues aren't prevalent here.
I'm pretty sure most my issues can be found anywhere, but my reasons are.
The weather (specifically winter), the huge hunting/fishing environment that is full of "if you dont you're a ***** liberal" which I full under, the lack of culture and diversity and art outside of Minneapolis, the smaller cities and even some parts of St. Cloud are full of hicks who are either racist as hell, homophobic as hell, transphobic as hell, or a nasty combination of the three, and just a multitude of horrific memories being made in this state alone and one in the making currently.

This state, like every other, had the potential to be awesome but I was showed the ass end a prompt ten minutes into my first day of school, then two days later out on the streets with comments I did nothing to receive other than having a nice amount of melanin (aka racist comments). Want to know where, in my short life currently, I have heard and received the most disrespect based on my race? Minnesota. Want to know where I have heard and received the most disrespect based on my sexuality? Minnesota. Want to know where I have heard and received the most disrespect based on my gender? LGBT friendly Minnesota.

Want to know where my friends and I lives were in danger based on our genders and sexuality? Freaking Minnesota, where we were blamed if we were jumped and told that "you shouldn't provoke". Cops called on me in stores for using the womens restroom, yet I was (at the time) barred from the mens. Big ass grown men,obviously three times my size, threatening me for no reason other than the fact that I physically can't fight back.

This state has grown from a minor annoyance to a literal cesspool of memories I wish to forget about. Hell, my depressed as **** phase, when I was also dangerously suicidal, wasn't this bad because I was in a city and state I loved and had more happy moments and memories being formed with friends I loved and family I was cool with. Minnesota has the friends part, minus literally everything else besides, like, my brothers and granma when it comes to family. That and one good memory: graduating high school. Promptly followed by going to school and me realizing that was the worst decision I ever made, but that's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 06:30 PM

So I have learned from my mistakes, but I also learned I will never learn to like Minnesota and if you have to learn to like a state, you're probably never going to be truly happy there in the first place. You should be able to go to a state, take some getting used to, and realize "this is good. this was a good choice" and not have it be you go to a state and almost four years later have a worse taste in your mouth about it than you did when you first moved here. And trust me, I tried to like MN but I realized I just wasn't. This state isn't for me and never was in the first place.I was unhappy and depressed when I moved here, now I'm just angry and pissed when I think about the reality that I might be stuck here longer than I need to be.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:38 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Think about it! How can we honestly answer this question if we are not you.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Think about it! How can we honestly answer this question if we are not you.
Because you live in Atlanta and I don't?........

That's like telling someone who wants to know how expensive gas is in another state to think about it. I live in another state, you live in the state I'm curious about, I can't really "think" about it. I can think all I want but thinking about it and the reality of it are two different things, asking someone who lives there can help the two connect a little. My experience will obviously differ from yours but if I don't live there I can't possibly think on what it would be like.

I hope this made sense.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Because you live in Atlanta and I don't?........

That's like telling someone who wants to know how expensive gas is in another state to think about it. I live in another state, you live in the state I'm curious about, I can't really "think" about it. I can think all I want but thinking about it and the reality of it are two different things, asking someone who lives there can help the two connect a little. My experience will obviously differ from yours but if I don't live there I can't possibly think on what it would be like.

I hope this made sense.

Hey! Will p.m. You when I have the time. Have you considering going to university in Minneapolis? Maybe you could even dorm there. I say this because I think you need to have a degree for what you want to do in life before moving.to Georgia. Even if you earned 15 or 16 an hour, you may find.it difficult to make it on your own. Iknow you hate Minnesota but I dont want you to suffer here and end up hating it too.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Hey! Will p.m. You when I have the time. Have you considering going to university in Minneapolis? Maybe you could even dorm there. I say this because I think you need to have a degree for what you want to do in life before moving.to Georgia. Even if you earned 15 or 16 an hour, you may find.it difficult to make it on your own. Iknow you hate Minnesota but I dont want you to suffer here and end up hating it too.
Thanks for the concern, I realize it might be crazy hard to move there without my degree. I'm actually scared to go to U of M or SCSU, big colleges, because of cost. I'm first generation in three generations, both sides, and can't afford it. So I only look at community/technical colleges. I'll have to find housing but I know, from my one semester at a uni, that it'll be cheaper. I'm actually still paying off SCSU now because my fafsa didn't cover ****ty dorms at $2000 a semester. I couldn't work enough to afford it and wasn't even being paid enough to try. All my paycheck always went straight to my phone, food, or books. Because of that I would much rather never move into dorms again unless I had a full ride. It's too expensive for me to realistically do.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:41 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Thanks for the concern, I realize it might be crazy hard to move there without my degree. I'm actually scared to go to U of M or SCSU, big colleges, because of cost. I'm first generation in three generations, both sides, and can't afford it. So I only look at community/technical colleges. I'll have to find housing but I know, from my one semester at a uni, that it'll be cheaper. I'm actually still paying off SCSU now because my fafsa didn't cover ****ty dorms at $2000 a semester. I couldn't work enough to afford it and wasn't even being paid enough to try. All my paycheck always went straight to my phone, food, or books. Because of that I would much rather never move into dorms again unless I had a full ride. It's too expensive for me to realistically do.

The only thing I can think of and it may not be ideal but what about air bnb/couchsurfing? Maybe you can try that first while looking for a job in Georgia or better yet, land a full-time job before you get here.

I forgot about this and maybe a realtor could help you find a house but you can rent a room in the house and that would provide you much much more stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: