Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:46 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You aren't ending Jack, sporto.

I'll get back on topic when you end your pathetic, continual Atlanta bashing in thread after thread.
Oh God, John, just ignore him; everyone else does. You know how it is on CD; sooner or later, the trolls dry up and fade away on here. Sort of like a hemorrhoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 07:49 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
So I havent been on here in quite sometime. I see nobody talkin about building the much needed "MMPT" as its become known as. So whats doin ATL? I do see the same stupidness is going stong though! Building 2 New stadiums and one of em are to built at the cobb cloverleaf of 285/75...WOWWWWW and no plans for rail service whatsoever! How does a modern city with bad traffic already decides to build a 60k plus stadium at that spot is BEYOND COMPREHENSION. So ATL Has money to build these stadiums yet When it comes to the Rail terminal for the Gulch its years of studies and we cant even lay a bare minimum concrete platform to serve as a startup...God this city is still just as backwards as when I lived there lol #TrafficForEver
Of course not! The state always announces something big before the election for Governor. Nothing ever moves forward.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:35 PM

272 posts, read 271,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh God, John, just ignore him; everyone else does. You know how it is on CD; sooner or later, the trolls dry up and fade away on here. Sort of like a hemorrhoid.
I'm not trolling. Though I admit this thread itself is a troll thread. You guys just can't admit there are legitimate reasons not to like Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
New York is elite BECAUSE it has rail. Unless you don't recognize this is also why London and Tokyo are the other 2 most important cities in the world?
You must have a small piece. Why the insecurity and need to always compare. Move if you don't like Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:13 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
So I havent been on here in quite sometime. I see nobody talkin about building the much needed "MMPT" as its become known as. So whats doin ATL? I do see the same stupidness is going stong though! Building 2 New stadiums and one of em are to built at the cobb cloverleaf of 285/75...WOWWWWW and no plans for rail service whatsoever! How does a modern city with bad traffic already decides to build a 60k plus stadium at that spot is BEYOND COMPREHENSION. So ATL Has money to build these stadiums yet When it comes to the Rail terminal for the Gulch its years of studies and we cant even lay a bare minimum concrete platform to serve as a startup...God this city is still just as backwards as when I lived there lol #TrafficForEver
First of all Welcome back
The MMPT is dead man. There was talking of putting Amtrak as the Doraville station. Just Talk. Greyhound and Megabus are both very close to two different Marta stations. So really the only missing link it Marta to Amtrak. That link is easy. The Amtrak rail runs right next to Lenox and Lindbergh.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:36 AM

LOL @ Saulpine and JMatl !!

I am no fan of commuter rail in Atlanta. Too many dead stations on Marta. Im sorry some of you guys LOVE and I mean LOVE wasting money. If all the Marta stops were filled in and dense, then yea commuter rail is fine as an addition to Marta. Marta plans to add more stations to the system, so let them do that first. We still have too many dead stations for this city's size. People keep over looking this fact.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yup, a lot could change (relatively) soon. I am optimistic, but I also wouldn't expect an MMPT right off the bat.

I get the feeling commuter rail lines will end at the farthest out MARTA station. With all of these lines, the most expensive part will be bringing them into the city center. Unless there is a effort to create a comprehensive commuter rail system, I get the feeling the MMPT will be a bit offset from the birth of commuter rail in Atlanta
BART is building a similar project eBART(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBART), where DMU will have direct connection to HRT at Pittsburg/Bay Point Station and extend rail transit service 10 miles east. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...4d-121.9451328

Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
LOL @ Saulpine and JMatl !!

I am no fan of commuter rail in Atlanta. Too many dead stations on Marta. Im sorry some of you guys LOVE and I mean LOVE wasting money. If all the Marta stops were filled in and dense, then yea commuter rail is fine as an addition to Marta. Marta plans to add more stations to the system, so let them do that first. We still have too many dead stations for this city's size. People keep over looking this fact.
There is little to no demand at some of those 'dead stations' for privately funded development. Unless there is demand and funding from the private side, TODs will not get built. That is why we are seeing the TODs being built in areas that already have demand for housing.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 AM

175 posts, read 235,550 times
Based on the comments Ive read is kinda 50/50. Some people say its needed others dont. Well its needed but I do understand that a project of this scale does require a team effort across mad agencies (city,state,fed,etc). It just be nice to see some discussions between norfolk southern and the city to at least put together a plan to untie howell junction (Thats the chokepoint)
And just some collaboration on the future terminal in general. Now as far as moving the Amtrak station to Lenox Im Not wit it becuase then it will be the sole excuse not to build a downtown terminal, but I do love the connectivity to MARTA that lenox would provide as I used amtrak back to nyc earlier this summer and im sure my dad wouldve dropped me off at indian creek lol. Back to the point at hand though its just tough to see all these train tracks criss crossin the city AND former rail stations that are now coffee shops,etc And all these lines converge in perfect harmony downtown. Just imagine the cost if we had to physically lay down 500 miles of track then we'd have a real ****show on our hands. The longer we wait the more expensive its gonna be and studies show that transportation is the number one priority on atlantans minds.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is little to no demand at some of those 'dead stations' for privately funded development. Unless there is demand and funding from the private side, TODs will not get built. That is why we are seeing the TODs being built in areas that already have demand for housing.
Ok well if there is "no demand" as you put it to file in the "dead stations" of the current 38, there should be no demand for commuter rail either. I know you like to debate me when it comes to dead stations, but Marta and really developers should stop running away from the stations (you and I both know which ones). Until those stations get their infill and density Im going to smack down the idea of any rail additions in Atlanta. Good post about whats going on in Avondale though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta