Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,208,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
BART is building a similar project eBART(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBART), where DMU will have direct connection to HRT at Pittsburg/Bay Point Station and extend rail transit service 10 miles east. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...4d-121.9451328
Oh yeah, I've checked out the eBART additions. Kinda cool and practical for their use. But for us, since rail lines come directly in the city center, I hope they eventually build out a direct connection to some sorta MMPT. Adding a transfer like that removes a lot of choice riders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:12 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,485,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Based on the comments Ive read is kinda 50/50. Some people say its needed others dont. Well its needed but I do understand that a project of this scale does require a team effort across mad agencies (city,state,fed,etc). It just be nice to see some discussions between norfolk southern and the city to at least put together a plan to untie howell junction (Thats the chokepoint)
And just some collaboration on the future terminal in general. Now as far as moving the Amtrak station to Lenox Im Not wit it becuase then it will be the sole excuse not to build a downtown terminal, but I do love the connectivity to MARTA that lenox would provide as I used amtrak back to nyc earlier this summer and im sure my dad wouldve dropped me off at indian creek lol. Back to the point at hand though its just tough to see all these train tracks criss crossin the city AND former rail stations that are now coffee shops,etc And all these lines converge in perfect harmony downtown. Just imagine the cost if we had to physically lay down 500 miles of track then we'd have a real ****show on our hands. The longer we wait the more expensive its gonna be and studies show that transportation is the number one priority on atlantans minds.
Whats the point, some shiny new building for shiny sake? Heck if not Marta Lingbergh is even better. My Question to everyone on this topic is where are you people trying to go? Commuter Rail stops normal traffic. The Dream of the MMPT was to what have Marta, Amtrak, Megabus and Greyhound all in the same building yes? If that was the goal the only missing link is Amtrak to Marta. So my question is where should Amtrak and Marta meet because that MMPT is not happening.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,664,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Ok well if there is "no demand" as you put it to file in the "dead stations" of the current 38, there should be no demand for commuter rail either. I know you like to debate me when it comes to dead stations, but Marta and really developers should stop running away from the stations (you and I both know which ones). Until those stations get their infill and density Im going to smack down the idea of any rail additions in Atlanta. Good post about whats going on in Avondale though
That's not how demand across the metro works.

You can have demand for a larger commuter network (see the success of the GRTA express buses), but not have developer demand on a few existing stations. They are just two different types of demands.

On one hand you have rider demand, which takes the form of those who would use the system were it available. Park-n-ride style stations would need to be in place, to some extent, since there are plenty who would drive to a station, but not necessarily live next to one for any number of reasons.

On the other hand, you have development demand, which should be noted as not the same as housing demand. There is, I'd wager, plenty of housing demand for these stations to be developed. What the problem is, I think, is that there's not enough of a profit margin, from those who would live in the neighborhoods that these stations are in, to justify the development cost.

That last part will very likely change in the coming years, as housing in the city continues to come more and more into demand, and people move more south and west to find cheaper housing. That's already happening already, and things like the BeltLine will only catylize it.

There's also the very real possibility of incorporating TODs into any new commuter rail station from the start. There will still need to be a park-n-ride component there, but, especially in the historic railroad-town downtown where stations are likely to go, we could see new apartments, commercial properties, etc. built up to help support the expenses of the service.

Basically, just because there's not enough developer demand for a TOD at College Park right now, doesn't mean that there won't be any in the non-too-distant future, nor does it mean there isn't the commuter ridership to justify commuter rail, nor does it mean there isn't demand for TOD at those commuter rail stations.

There is just too many variables to call it as flatly as you have here.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Fill what we have had for years first. Than waste money on other "dreams"

Old 12-01-2016, 11:02 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,208,578 times
There's kind of a TOD at College Park, nice new apartments w/ Google Fiber being built a block away

Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
There's kind of a TOD at College Park, nice new apartments w/ Google Fiber being built a block away
Thats good news. Let me look this up.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Thats good news. Let me look this up.
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...5-million.html
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6534...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Old 12-01-2016, 12:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,728,791 times
You should be more worried about the high cost of living, cold winter weather, high taxes, etc in NYC instead of worrying about Atlanta so much. You don't see us in the NYC forum asking when will taxes decrease or when will gentrification will stop in NYC

Old 12-01-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You should be more worried about the high cost of living, cold winter weather, high taxes, etc in NYC instead of worrying about Atlanta so much. You don't see us in the NYC forum asking when will taxes decrease or when will gentrification will stop in NYC
We dont really need some glamorous over priced train station for Atlanta be great. After all we do have Strippers and Busy Airport right Tony?

Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,664,152 times
Quote:
Fill what we have had for years first. Than waste money on other "dreams"
Again, this isn't how demand works. At all. There is existing demand for a commuter rail network. There are corridors where commuter rail transit makes a pile of sense, and which would attract a ton of riders and use. There is even potential demand, right now, to build those commuter rail stations as TODs from the get-go.

Just because the profit margin isn't there yet for every station on the existing network to be built up into a TOD, doesn't mean there isn't sense in building out an new commuter rail network, which fills a different role in the metro's transportation system than heavy rail does, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta