U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2016, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Tampa
649 posts, read 433,103 times
Reputation: 510

Advertisements

How did Florida cities and in particular Orlando come into this conversation? As a person that has lived in Florida most of my life and lives in Tampa now, you would have to pay me more to live in Atlanta based on what it has to offer. Its whatever floats your boat, but if you are person that is use to being on the coast and near a lot of water. ie ocean, rivers, bays, lakes etc. Georgia will be a hard to adapt. Florida beats Georgia in all scenery (IMO) except they have some Mountains to the North. But if comes to career and getting more experience and pay is higher on your list, maybe Atlanta is the place. But Florida probably has just as high paying jobs just depending on the industry. Atlanta versus Orlando is not a good comparison. Maybe Orlando Versus Vegas or some other huge tourist city. Atlanta is not a major tourist travel destination like Orlando. Its a work destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2016, 01:31 PM
 
33,217 posts, read 30,547,101 times
Reputation: 21073
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
How did Florida cities and in particular Orlando come into this conversation?
Second post in the thread.

Quote:
As a person that has lived in Florida most of my life and lives in Tampa now, you would have to pay me more to live in Atlanta based on what it has to offer.
Wages are higher in Atlanta than Florida:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm
Cost-of-Living Adjusted Wage Data for U.S. Metro Areas

Quote:
Its whatever floats your boat, but if you are person that is use to being on the coast and near a lot of water. ie ocean, rivers, bays, lakes etc. Georgia will be a hard to adapt. Florida beats Georgia in all scenery (IMO) except they have some Mountains to the North. But if comes to career and getting more experience and pay is higher on your list, maybe Atlanta is the place. But Florida probably has just as high paying jobs just depending on the industry. Atlanta versus Orlando is not a good comparison. Maybe Orlando Versus Vegas or some other huge tourist city. Atlanta is not a major tourist travel destination like Orlando. Its a work destination.
Actually Atlanta is a major tourist travel destination, but it's more for conventions/trade shows, sporting events, regional attractions, etc. Its tourism industry is of a different sort than Orlando's which revolves around theme parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 02:35 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,039,138 times
Reputation: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
How did Florida cities and in particular Orlando come into this conversation? As a person that has lived in Florida most of my life and lives in Tampa now, you would have to pay me more to live in Atlanta based on what it has to offer. Its whatever floats your boat, but if you are person that is use to being on the coast and near a lot of water. ie ocean, rivers, bays, lakes etc. Georgia will be a hard to adapt. Florida beats Georgia in all scenery (IMO) except they have some Mountains to the North. But if comes to career and getting more experience and pay is higher on your list, maybe Atlanta is the place. But Florida probably has just as high paying jobs just depending on the industry. Atlanta versus Orlando is not a good comparison. Maybe Orlando Versus Vegas or some other huge tourist city. Atlanta is not a major tourist travel destination like Orlando. Its a work destination.
WOW,Really one sided of you. Georgia has everything from Mountains t,Waterfalls,to beaches so how does Florida exactly beat Georgia in "scenery"?
Not much you cant do in Georgia that you can in Florida,but lots you cant do in Flrida youn can do in Georgia.

You dont really know much about Atlanta based on your remarks.
Atlanta has as many Forturne 500 companies headquartered as there are in the entore state of Florida,so how do you think Florida has as many or more high paying jobs?
We are not talking about rich retirees from Canada and the Northeast.

As fsr as Atlanta being a "work destination" as if it has little history or culture that people would visit like Florida which really only has beaches and weather to offer,its silly.
Not everybody vacations at a beach.When I do I go to Savannah or Jekyll Island.That is unless I leave the country completely.

I dont hate Florida as I have roots there but when I look at Florida and the look at a state like California with all its high tech jobs AND service jobs,why cant Florida hae more of those ttyoe jobs?
Why is it still so conservative and slow to adapt to change?
When i think of Florida I think of a person on the interstate in front of me driving 10 miles with their left blinker on going 50 in the fast lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 02:56 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,758,921 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
How did Florida cities and in particular Orlando come into this conversation? As a person that has lived in Florida most of my life and lives in Tampa now, you would have to pay me more to live in Atlanta based on what it has to offer. Its whatever floats your boat, but if you are person that is use to being on the coast and near a lot of water. ie ocean, rivers, bays, lakes etc. Georgia will be a hard to adapt. Florida beats Georgia in all scenery (IMO) except they have some Mountains to the North. But if comes to career and getting more experience and pay is higher on your list, maybe Atlanta is the place. But Florida probably has just as high paying jobs just depending on the industry. Atlanta versus Orlando is not a good comparison. Maybe Orlando Versus Vegas or some other huge tourist city. Atlanta is not a major tourist travel destination like Orlando. Its a work destination.

LOL


The only thing Tampa has over Atlanta is better winter weather and a beach. Our city has a better skyline, we have more sports teams, more events, more entertainment, better nightlife, better airport, better concerts, no natural disaster threats, better economy, better transportation, better shopping, better restaurants, etc, etc, etc. Dont compare Atlanta to Tampa, Tampa is should be compared to Nashville, New Orleans, Austin, Charlotte, etc instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Jonesboro
3,617 posts, read 3,567,391 times
Reputation: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've never understood why so many Atlantans like to look down on Florida.

Seems to me, they always have cities that outperform ours on metrics like this.

Actually in terms of looking down on Florida, the reverse is also true, my friend.
We have had a couple of repeat visitors to the Atlanta forum in the past who were out of Fl. & whose only purpose to visit here was to poke fun or point out our warts, as if any place doesn't have their own particular set of problems.
Good grief! Just look at Florida in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 03:12 PM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,758,921 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've never understood why so many Atlantans like to look down on Florida.

Seems to me, they always have cities that outperform ours on metrics like this.
Terrible way of thinking. When judging something you can either like it or dislike it. Nobody has to like something just because. Take chitterlings for example. Everybody doesnt automatically have to like chitterlings. Some people may love them or some people may hate them but to say people that look down on eating chitterlings should automatically like them is crazy. Im sure people in Miami look down on people in Jacksonville. Stop acting like people should not have the right to judge things and they should just automatically like them.


People live where they love generally speaking. If a person loves what Florida has to offer then that person probably lives in Florida. They probably like beaches and warm weather. If they choose to live there they probably love where they live. Just because they love to live in Florida doesnt mean they automatically have to like South Dakota

Last edited by fieldm; 12-15-2016 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Tampa
649 posts, read 433,103 times
Reputation: 510
I said whatever floats your boat. This is one article example of the top USA cities visited by foreign visitors. Atlanta is not on that list, Orlando and Miami are.

The 10 Most Visited Cities in the US by Foreign Travelers - EscapeHere

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second
Orlando in 2014 became the first U.S. city to attract more than 60 million visitors in a single year.

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second - UPI.com

By domestic tourist, yes Atlanta is on the list as top cities visited, which is understandable.

Everyone has opinions and I have reached out to people that live in Atlanta and people that have moved from Miami to Atlanta. Thought of moving there in the past because my parents live on the Tenn/Georgia line. They told me to stay in Florida if you are use to South and Central Florida. Not knocking it, I am sure there are people that love both states and cities. If you can make a lot more money in Atlanta, I'm sure the move would be beneficial, but if same salary, I don't see the appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa
649 posts, read 433,103 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
WOW,Really one sided of you. Georgia has everything from Mountains t,Waterfalls,to beaches so how does Florida exactly beat Georgia in "scenery"?
Not much you cant do in Georgia that you can in Florida,but lots you cant do in Flrida youn can do in Georgia.

You dont really know much about Atlanta based on your remarks.
Atlanta has as many Forturne 500 companies headquartered as there are in the entore state of Florida,so how do you think Florida has as many or more high paying jobs?
We are not talking about rich retirees from Canada and the Northeast.

As fsr as Atlanta being a "work destination" as if it has little history or culture that people would visit like Florida which really only has beaches and weather to offer,its silly.
Not everybody vacations at a beach.When I do I go to Savannah or Jekyll Island.That is unless I leave the country completely.

I dont hate Florida as I have roots there but when I look at Florida and the look at a state like California with all its high tech jobs AND service jobs,why cant Florida hae more of those ttyoe jobs?
Why is it still so conservative and slow to adapt to change?
When i think of Florida I think of a person on the interstate in front of me driving 10 miles with their left blinker on going 50 in the fast lane.
Florida being conservative is funny. Do you mean fiscally or socially? You must mean some counties that touch Georgia in North Florida which is totally different to be honest. We don't have those silly Sunday drinking laws you have. Also our big cities like Miami and Tampa don't close the clubs at 1:30am. California is pretty and progressive, but can most of the USA afford it. So many people leaving since they can't afford it. Oh and you call those beaches near Savannah. That water and shoreline can not compare to our beaches. Its laughable.

The problem with Florida is that we pick a governor on off Presidential years. We don't get that high of a turnout, where we end up with Governor Scott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 PM
 
Location: morningside, atlanta
388 posts, read 500,561 times
Reputation: 359
i'm from florida, born in tallahassee and moved to central florida shortly after (outskirts of tampa, then orlando) until my early teens. georgia is smaller, but a lot more well rounded both in its landscape and cities. atlanta is a much more diverse economy than any of florida's big cities (orlando is probably closest actually with its growing tech industry) and in some ways actually reminds me of a mini-dallas. (rolling hills in certain areas, sparse trees, lots of freeways/tollways for its size)

still, give me georgia, and i can take a trip down to florida to visit tampa/orlando or even miami in a quick trip. (once made it from atl->mia in about 9hrs :P)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Florida being conservative is funny. Do you mean fiscally or socially? You must mean some counties that touch Georgia in North Florida which is totally different to be honest. We don't have those silly Sunday drinking laws you have. Also our big cities like Miami and Tampa don't close the clubs at 1:30am. California is pretty and progressive, but can most of the USA afford it. So many people leaving since they can't afford it. Oh and you call those beaches near Savannah. That water and shoreline can not compare to our beaches. Its laughable.

The problem with Florida is that we pick a governor on off Presidential years. We don't get that high of a turnout, where we end up with Governor Scott.
you don't really seem to be that familiar, honestly. (silly sunday drinking laws? clubs closing at 1:30?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 07:01 AM
 
4,010 posts, read 2,758,921 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I said whatever floats your boat. This is one article example of the top USA cities visited by foreign visitors. Atlanta is not on that list, Orlando and Miami are.

The 10 Most Visited Cities in the US by Foreign Travelers - EscapeHere

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second
Orlando in 2014 became the first U.S. city to attract more than 60 million visitors in a single year.

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second - UPI.com

By domestic tourist, yes Atlanta is on the list as top cities visited, which is understandable.

Everyone has opinions and I have reached out to people that live in Atlanta and people that have moved from Miami to Atlanta. Thought of moving there in the past because my parents live on the Tenn/Georgia line. They told me to stay in Florida if you are use to South and Central Florida. Not knocking it, I am sure there are people that love both states and cities. If you can make a lot more money in Atlanta, I'm sure the move would be beneficial, but if same salary, I don't see the appeal.
Whatever that makes you sleep better at night bro

(Btw, I didnt read your reply)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top