Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:32 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,072,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Whatever that makes you sleep better at night bro

(Btw, I didnt read your reply)
Your welcome. Have a good Friday. I slept well. Also it will be 84 on Saturday. Have a good weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 08:35 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,072,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i'm from florida, born in tallahassee and moved to central florida shortly after (outskirts of tampa, then orlando) until my early teens. georgia is smaller, but a lot more well rounded both in its landscape and cities. atlanta is a much more diverse economy than any of florida's big cities (orlando is probably closest actually with its growing tech industry) and in some ways actually reminds me of a mini-dallas. (rolling hills in certain areas, sparse trees, lots of freeways/tollways for its size)

still, give me georgia, and i can take a trip down to florida to visit tampa/orlando or even miami in a quick trip. (once made it from atl->mia in about 9hrs :P)

you don't really seem to be that familiar, honestly. (silly sunday drinking laws? clubs closing at 1:30?)
My bad, was in Georgia or near Atlanta before 2011. I guess they caught up to modern times recently in reference to having a beverage on Sunday.

"Beer is legally sold on Sunday in all the counties of Georgia as of 2011, except the areas of Albany, Americus, Brooklet, Brunswick, Comer, Elbert County, Flovilla, Fort Oglethorpe, Garden City, Kingland, Lovejoy, Oglethorpe, Palmetto, Pendergrass, Portal, Sumter County, Swainsboro, Tunnel Hill, Varnell, Waycross, Whitfield County and Woodbine."

https://www.reference.com/food/count...4716cd3192ea5c

Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 AM

23,325 posts, read 43,794,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
I said whatever floats your boat. This is one article example of the top USA cities visited by foreign visitors. Atlanta is not on that list, Orlando and Miami are.

The 10 Most Visited Cities in the US by Foreign Travelers - EscapeHere

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second
Orlando in 2014 became the first U.S. city to attract more than 60 million visitors in a single year.

Orlando the top U.S. destination in 2014, N.Y.C second - UPI.com

By domestic tourist, yes Atlanta is on the list as top cities visited, which is understandable.

Everyone has opinions and I have reached out to people that live in Atlanta and people that have moved from Miami to Atlanta. Thought of moving there in the past because my parents live on the Tenn/Georgia line. They told me to stay in Florida if you are use to South and Central Florida. Not knocking it, I am sure there are people that love both states and cities. If you can make a lot more money in Atlanta, I'm sure the move would be beneficial, but if same salary, I don't see the appeal.
I am one of those people to which you refer. Whenever I recall the life I had in Miami, I have to get on my knees and kiss the Georgia earth beneath me.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Florida being conservative is funny. Do you mean fiscally or socially? You must mean some counties that touch Georgia in North Florida which is totally different to be honest. We don't have those silly Sunday drinking laws you have. Also our big cities like Miami and Tampa don't close the clubs at 1:30am. California is pretty and progressive, but can most of the USA afford it. So many people leaving since they can't afford it. Oh and you call those beaches near Savannah. That water and shoreline can not compare to our beaches. Its laughable.

The problem with Florida is that we pick a governor on off Presidential years. We don't get that high of a turnout, where we end up with Governor Scott.
I've never understood why this would make a difference to anyone but a raging alcoholic.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:57 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,609,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've never understood why this would make a difference to anyone but a raging alcoholic.
It would be nice to have a mimosa before 12:30 on Sunday, though.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It would be nice to have a mimosa before 12:30 on Sunday, though.
Buy your champagne on Saturday, drink 'em at home. Worked for me all those years.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:32 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,275,291 times
Quote:
Buy your champagne on Saturday, drink 'em at home. Worked for me all those years.
But, LD, that's so not urban.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
But, LD, that's so not urban.
I'm no fan of the Blue Laws, either, but my point was that in terms of interfering with my life choices they weren't even a blip on the radar.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 AM
bu2

23,872 posts, read 14,652,785 times
Quote:
I'm no fan of the Blue Laws, either, but my point was that in terms of interfering with my life choices they weren't even a blip on the radar.
I miss the true blue laws. Sure its more convenient to be able to shop on Sunday, but I miss the peaceful, traffic free Sundays. I'm sure a lot of people in retail miss their Sundays off.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:02 AM

5,618 posts, read 5,885,301 times
Quote:
That's a terrible reason to leave laws alone.

Also not everyone works a M-F schedule. For one of my friends, Sunday is her Friday and she has Monday and Tuesday off so Sunday is a perfect day to grab a bottle of wine or whatever. But according to you it only affected raging alcoholics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta