U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,098,103 times

Advertisements

I don't pay too much attention to these "lists" that are hard to decipher. I would have thought that Atlanta's job growth for this year would be better than 35th... I was under the impression that Atlanta's job growth had returned to near the top five.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 06:14 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,036,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Florida being conservative is funny. Do you mean fiscally or socially? You must mean some counties that touch Georgia in North Florida which is totally different to be honest. We don't have those silly Sunday drinking laws you have. Also our big cities like Miami and Tampa don't close the clubs at 1:30am. California is pretty and progressive, but can most of the USA afford it. So many people leaving since they can't afford it. Oh and you call those beaches near Savannah. That water and shoreline can not compare to our beaches. Its laughable.

The problem with Florida is that we pick a governor on off Presidential years. We don't get that high of a turnout, where we end up with Governor Scott.
Compared to California,yes.Its conservative socially.
So many statements you just made are inaccurate.

Even in Macon or Augusta bars and clubs dont close at 1:30am

There state "Sunday drinking laws" in Georgia are the same as they are in Florida.Each county city has to vote whether or not when or if to sell on Sundays

You are right that the beaches in Florida are much better but in Georgia we have more pristine natural beaches like Cumberland Island National Seashore.
You can call the beaches laughable if you want but it cant be too bad if North American best resort ranked by several different publications is located along those beaches.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,527,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
LOL

The only thing Tampa has over Atlanta is better winter weather and a beach. Our city has a better skyline, we have more sports teams, more events, more entertainment, better nightlife, better airport, better concerts, no natural disaster threats, better economy, better transportation, better shopping, better restaurants, etc, etc, etc. Dont compare Atlanta to Tampa, Tampa is should be compared to Nashville, New Orleans, Austin, Charlotte, etc instead
I live in Tampa now and I'm from the Atlanta area. It's not fair to compare Atlanta to any city in Florida unless it's Miami. The rest just doesn't compare.

Florida is a poorer state than Georgia as well and it's always ranked near the bottom 10.

Other than winter weather, Florida isn't for me and they have the worst drivers in the country but maybe it's because they're allowed to text and drive....Who knows!

Old 12-19-2016, 11:43 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,845,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That's a terrible reason to leave laws alone.

Also not everyone works a M-F schedule. For one of my friends, Sunday is her Friday and she has Monday and Tuesday off so Sunday is a perfect day to grab a bottle of wine or whatever. But according to you it only affected raging alcoholics.
Clearly my statement was not an endorsement of the Blue Laws.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:29 PM

4,767 posts, read 3,976,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Clearly my statement was not an endorsement of the Blue Laws.
I know it wasn't. But that indifference is exactly why GA's stayed around for so long.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM

578 posts, read 355,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
2016 Best-Performing Cities » Large-Cities-Rankings

ATL comes in at No. 21, up from No. 26 in 2015.

Probably will crack the top 20 soon with the way things are rolling.
atl is a fake city,the money is in other cities

Old 12-19-2016, 06:05 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,845,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I know it wasn't. But that indifference is exactly why GA's stayed around for so long.
My indifference stems from the fact that they did not affect my life in any meaningful way. I was in favor of getting rid of them, however. I don't appreciate Fundamentalists dictating my life choices.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:20 PM

241 posts, read 182,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I've never understood why so many Atlantans like to look down on Florida.

Seems to me, they always have cities that outperform ours on metrics like this.

Northern Florida & South Florida are like 2 different states. It's like comparing North Carolina to California. I love southern Florida I hate the Northern parts.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,557,868 times
Default Best performing cities in U.S...

I found the following chart at a Chicago media source, hence the Chicago lead on it's heading but thought it a relevant addition to the original chart ranking of best performing cities that was posted at the thread start.
This link contains a comparison of both residential & overall construction spending in most of the the largest metros or the most active metros in terms of building activity & shows the year over year 2016/2015 change in dollars in percent terms as well as the actual total dollar values.
Interestingly, Atlanta& Los Angeles are the most stable in terms of avoiding wild fluctuations either up or down in the 2 years compared.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/10/28...september-2016

Old 12-21-2016, 04:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,098,103 times
When I looked at that list, I was surprised when I came to Dallas. At first, I couldn't figure it out. They are saying Dallas MSA has only 4.4 million? Then it hit me. They are not including Ft. Worth. I wonder why they didn't include Ft. Worth? The census does.

It's rather funny when you think about it. Only because Dallas had the good luck to be founded and located fairly close to another settlement that grew into a sizeable city-Ft. Worth-is it the largest. As a stand-alone MSA, it would be significantly smaller than Houston, Atlanta, or Miami. It's almost the same as having Atlanta and Birmingham 30 miles apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or