U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:10 AM

17 posts, read 9,587 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm new to Atlanta and my daughter will turn 5 on September 14!!! I know there is a big debate out there if it's beneficial for your kids to be the youngest and start a school program early or if you should hold back one more year instead. I just would like to explore the possibilities that we have and see which one will be more suitable for her. Do any of you know which and if private schools (possibly near Druid hills, Emory, Decatur area) will accept her for Kindergarten so she can be in first grade next year?
Thank you very much for your help!!
Gabi
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:58 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,015,530 times
Default Age for First Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by maga2012 View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to Atlanta and my daughter will turn 5 on September 14!!! I know there is a big debate out there if it's beneficial for your kids to be the youngest and start a school program early or if you should hold back one more year instead. I just would like to explore the possibilities that we have and see which one will be more suitable for her. Do any of you know which and if private schools (possibly near Druid hills, Emory, Decatur area) will accept her for Kindergarten so she can be in first grade next year?
Thank you very much for your help!!
Gabi

I don't think your strategy will work unless you plan on keeping her in private school until at least second grade. Georgia has an age requirement for both kindergarten and first grade. According to the Georgia DOE: A child must be five years old on or before September 1 to enter a public Kindergarten. The child must be six years old on or before September 1 to enter first grade. School systems must verify age before enrollment.

My daughter has a September 23 birthday. It was hard for me to think about having her start kindergarten so late, but ultimately, I think it was an advantage to be older.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:15 PM

2,090 posts, read 5,002,028 times
Yeah, you're not going to have much luck with that, even in private schools. Many of the elite private schools "redshirt" children with summer (and even spring!) birthday, so mid-September will be a no go, I suspect, in most settings. You would have kids 14-15 months older than her in her grade. My daughter is a 9/26 birthday, and being older has been totally fine so far.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:38 PM

142 posts, read 132,305 times
My children both have late October birthdays and in high school now. It has worked to their advantage to be mature for their grade and I'm so glad I didn't rush them through school.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 9,587 times
Thank you all for the sharing experiences! I think a generalized "right thing to do" doesn't exist in this case. Everyone experience is different, I don't want to rush anything I'm just trying to explore our options on joining a K program because , she has been through a preschool program already this year and keep her there for the whole 2017 just doing numbers and alphabets seems a waste of a year. I'm sure everyone did the right thing for their children when it was time to decide, every family situation is different and we all respect everybody else' choices.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 PM

1,990 posts, read 1,679,987 times
ALL three of my children had early Fall birthdays. All of them benefitted from being older: two in gifted. I would seriously reconsider pushing your daughter ahead. My niece, August 30th birthday, entered school at the age of four for a FULL MONTH before turning five (schools usually start in early August around here) She has really struggled and actually wound up REPEATING kindergarten! She has done better and now is in the second grade, but STILL has difficulty with a few of the same sight words that my "older" kindergartener mastered in the first few months of school. By the way, I also have a September birthday and was caught by the then "new law' in 1980; I also feel like I personally benefitted from an "extra" year. Weigh your options, but I have met many who regret "pushing" their child on up, but none that regret waiting. Best wishes for you and your family.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:21 AM

23,729 posts, read 19,155,188 times
This is not just a GA thing.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maga2012 View Post
Thank you all for the sharing experiences! I think a generalized "right thing to do" doesn't exist in this case. Everyone experience is different, I don't want to rush anything I'm just trying to explore our options on joining a K program because , she has been through a preschool program already this year and keep her there for the whole 2017 just doing numbers and alphabets seems a waste of a year. I'm sure everyone did the right thing for their children when it was time to decide, every family situation is different and we all respect everybody else' choices.
If you have the flexibility to have your child in a half-day program, and then enrich her experience the rest of the time through music lessons, outdoor family adventures etc., she will grow and learn more than she would in most K programs. I would argue that the "waste of a year" would be having a child sitting doing pen and paper stuff too early. There will be time for that later.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 AM

4,574 posts, read 4,526,650 times
You know, she's going to be in school for at least the next 13 years, and probably another 4-6 beyond that. As you say, every family situation is different -- but not as different as you might think. :-) Parents, quite rightly, usually only have their own child as a reference group, along with a small group of little friends and family, and perspective is hard. Speaking as a parent of young adults and having worked with kids and their parents in a sports setting for many years, I will just observe that the kids that I've seen struggle the most are often the ones who's parents were determined that their kids were "special" and needed to "butt to the front of the line" in terms of pushing them ahead.

Being one of the oldest in a class is not a bad thing. Their manual dexterity is generally far more advanced, their comprehension is better and they are a bit better at multi-tasking - and they get their driver's license first :-). They tend to catch on to new concepts more quickly. It's all tied into both physical and mental maturity. Emotional maturity is also an issue, in terms of easily getting along with classmates. A much younger child may run into problems socializing with older kids.

Unless you decide to home school, you're going to be at the mercy of the September 1st rule almost anywhere you go. AtlJan had a good suggestion in terms of enrichment rather than straight academics -- kids learn best by doing. Science/art museum trips, lots of library trips, art classes, dance classes, music classes, children's theatre, sports, charity work -- what a wonderful opportunity to soak up lots of varied experiences without the time crunch that is imposed on kids who are in school full-time.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM

33 posts, read 14,824 times
Honestly, it depends on the child. My birthday is in late October, but because of my grandmother's employment position at the time, I was able to start Kindergarten at 4. I was fine, but that's because I've always been what people call an "old soul" and had a lot of maturity even at a young age. So it worked out well for me. But there are many others who need that extra year. It's case specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta