Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 10:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chardae08 View Post
Wouldn't buying a home in an area based on your commute to work equate to your life revolving around work?Your home is probably more permanent than your job/career yet in Atlanta a lot of us make our home buying decisions based on where we work given the level of traffic in this city. Not saying either way is wrong because my goal is to be within close proximity to work...it's just interesting that a lot of us make housing decisions based on where we work which can change even if you're in a stable field at a stable company. And I wish I worked 9:00 - 4:00 lol. Out of curiosity, what part of town are you on?
I'd say if you work in a part of town you hate, then yes you're right. But if it's a nice area, living close to work gives you time to actually enjoy life post work. I can't imagine these people adding 2 hours to their day commuting. They basically work, eat and sleep.

I'm on the east side, near midtown. I think all the neighborhoods on this side are great, especially north of Memorial Drive and especially north of dekalb avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 10:05 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Its more of common sense. If your grocery store ran out of pig feet when you got there at 8am and said they would have a shipment in at 10pm would you wait there until 10pm or would you come back at 10pm?
I don't get your anology at all, but if my job starts at 9am and I live in Alpharetta, and I have to leave at 630am and arrive at 730am just to beat traffic, I have just left my house 2.5 hours BEFORE work starts just due to traffic. If traffic means you get home at 630pm after leaving at 5pm, you've turned your 8 hour workday into a 12 hour work day.

That's the recipe for a miserable life. I don't know why or how some people do these just to live in a slight bigger home out in the burbs. You are literally working nonstop, and by the time you get home you just eat dinner, go to sleep, and do it all over. I have a good 6-7 hours post work to enjoy life every day, which keeps me sane and happy and creates a proper work life balance. I'd go crazy if I had 2-3 hours to relax after a 12 hour day.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:14 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I hope you have a friend that can give you advice. After looking at the post, I would be more confused. You will learn that generally it's the same people that know everything and must reply on each thread. I hope you find what you looking for.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:23 AM

147 posts, read 216,071 times
@fieldm

We currently live in the alexandria arlington VA area. Is there something similar in Atlanta?

Old 12-24-2016, 10:24 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
From ATL, live in NOVA.

I would advise looking along the corridor from about 14th street/Midtown to Chastain Area along Hwy 19/Roswell Rd.

Do lots of driving and find an area where you like the feel. Then be prepared to look hard for places to live because the RE market in these locations is booming.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@fieldm

We currently live in the alexandria arlington VA area. Is there something similar in Atlanta?

Demographics wise Smyrna/Vinings is the closest

Old 12-24-2016, 10:34 AM

@Forhall

Thank you for the advice! Convenience to work is definitely important. We are not interested in 40 minute plus drives to downtown. I do agree people make Atlanta seem super cheap but its not as cheap as we thought. Nevertheless anywhere is better than DC. lol. We could probably do more than 400k so if its a good home in a good neighborhood we will go over that budget. Now i'm confused on North Atlanta because I heard it was the better area but also heard thats where the worst traffic comes from. I will definitely check out the east side!

Old 12-24-2016, 10:39 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
@Forhall

Thank you for the advice! Convenience to work is definitely important. We are not interested in 40 minute plus drives to downtown. I do agree people make Atlanta seem super cheap but its not as cheap as we thought. Nevertheless anywhere is better than DC. lol. We could probably do more than 400k so if its a good home in a good neighborhood we will go over that budget. Now i'm confused on North Atlanta because I heard it was the better area but also heard thats where the worst traffic comes from. I will definitely check out the east side!
Its super cheap compared to DC and most large cities. Maybe not super cheap if you are coming from Camilla, GA. Housing alone is X2 in DC. Dont forget to throw in the red light cameras tickets that will be mailed to you, paying hundreds of dollars monthly for parking, paying "peak on peak" to ride the METRO, etc, etc.

But lets get back on topic. What will be your work hours in Atlanta?

Old 12-24-2016, 05:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Unless you need to get a home in the middle of Buckhead or a gentrified area in town or you require 3000+ sq feet in a good school zone in the burbs 400k will be enough to find something good. Not sure what these people are talking about.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:30 PM

@fieldm Very True! More than likely my work hours will be 8-4 or 9-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta