Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 02:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am glad we have some openly gay people in the legislature and wouldn't mind having a few more. We need some balance in this state.
How many are needed? Have no sense of at what point "balance" is achieved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 03:14 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
When will Atlanta set the tone for race equality. I've experienced that both gay and straight still struggle with racism.
Historically, it has. Certainly better than almost anywhere else in the south and even compared to other parts of the country. Not to say we haven't struggled (and still do, to some extent), but the reason Atlanta is the size and power it is now is because of a history of racial moderation; the "Atlanta Way"

Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
"Balance" may not be necessary, but having greater diversity in the legislature makes it easier for everyone's voice to be heard, and to stand up to bigots like McKoon.

Old 12-23-2016, 04:33 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Well, if 4% of Georgians are GLBT, then proportionately there'd be 10 members in the house.

In my experience, however, gay folks tend to be well educated and sensible people so we might want a few more than just the basic percentage.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:20 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Historically, it has. Certainly better than almost anywhere else in the south and even compared to other parts of the country. Not to say we haven't struggled (and still do, to some extent), but the reason Atlanta is the size and power it is now is because of a history of racial moderation; the "Atlanta Way"
Sorry, I don't see it. I do see homogeneity among certain communities and events. For instances there are two gay pride events: one that cater toward blacks and the other event for whites. Residential and certain communities still have huge segregation problems. You can see the racial distinction among the tone of certain Atlanta city data thread topics and responses. Although metro Atlanta has seen great growth. People still remain segregated in a majority part of daily life experiences despite explosive growth.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,636 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't see it. I do see homogeneity among certain communities and events. For instances there are two gay pride events: one that cater toward blacks and the other event for whites. Residential and certain communities still have huge segregation problems. You can see the racial distinction among the tone of certain Atlanta city data thread topics and responses. Although metro Atlanta has seen great growth. People still remain segregated in a majority part of daily life experiences despite explosive growth.
Exactly! As a black bi male that is not originally from here. I call from residing elsewhere and having less problems interacting with LGBTQ individuals of various backgrounds, but this place is very racially segregated compared to elsewhere. It's like people here assume because of the growth and size that Atlanta is immune to racial segregation, but it is not. Until we acknowledge this rather paint over this it will forever be a problem.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:09 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
I dont see it as a problem any worse than anywhere else.Also I don see why segregation as being a bad thing necessarily,
Now if you were to say people have problems integrating ,that would be a problem but I have had no probems whatsoever as a black male.Most of my close friends are from India,Korea.Turkey and Mexico.
there is no place in Atlanta do I feel "uncomfortable" like I have felt in other places.
Atlanta has a unique black culture that is very strong.
As a person that likes to intergrte but respect his own culture and heritage,I like Atlanta as it is because I can share it with those who may not have any other chance elsehwere.
I take them to a HBCU football game,or show them the history of the Herndon Home or eat at Busy Bees or Paschals for Soul Food.

Cities with rich black culture tend to be more segregated.
Look at Philly,Baltimore,Chicago etc.All are more segregated but its usually associated with "tension."
In Atlanta there is no real tension.You can integrate or not.No one will judge you but forcing people to forsake their culture to for appearances instead of substance is not something I would prefer.

How many Koreans,Indians,Europeans know much about the Westside Atlanta until the BeltLine came along?
This is not an Atlanta thing,this is a people thing.As the city of Atlanta becomes more expensive,its not going to get any better.
Look at cities like NYC as they are losing their Black and Hispanic populations to places ike Atlanta but not the city but the suburbs.
Which should also tell you its not a racial thing but more a class thing because the suburbs are not largely segregated as the city itself is.

I look at places like LA.How many racial riots have they had every so many years versus Atlanta?
Miami and its history?
I just dont see it as a huge issue.I do me and dont worry what others are doing.Live your life is what I say.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:14 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Exactly! As a black bi male that is not originally from here. I call from residing elsewhere and having less problems interacting with LGBTQ individuals of various backgrounds, but this place is very racially segregated compared to elsewhere. It's like people here assume because of the growth and size that Atlanta is immune to racial segregation, but it is not. Until we acknowledge this rather paint over this it will forever be a problem.
While I do disagree in the bigger community,I have seen and heard that there is a strong dovosion in the LBGT Community that seems less open minded that in the larger mainstream community.
Again that could be because Atlanta has such a large black gay population.Its unique in that sense.
D.C,Houston,L.A.all have Black Gay Pride also.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I think you're mistakenly conflating racial equality with desegregation levels.

The fact of the matter is that Atlanta is in America, and America is largely a (de facto) segregated country. The racial issues present in Atlanta are present in all but the most homogenous American cities.

But Pemgin is right; historically Atlanta was at the forefront of pushing for racial equality (unlike other cities in the region which actually went the opposite direction) and it's the primary reason why it has one of the largest, most prosperous Black middle classes in America.

But anyway, this is way off topic.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:23 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
While I do disagree in the bigger community,I have seen and heard that there is a strong dovosion in the LBGT Community that seems less open minded that in the larger mainstream community.
I'm a white guy in a relationship with a black guy; no one has ever batted an eye when they met us or saw us out in Atlanta. At gay or mainstream, black-owned or white-owned establishments. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I've heard this too and I wonder if it's a function of Atlanta being really big, there being a lot of different types of gay people here, and the fact that gay bars tend to specialize in certain scenes. You might get a different impression in certain places or parts of town than you do in others. I.e., we've never been to Blake's....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta