Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,311 times

Advertisements

Lol
Okay Lovin,This is from 1998.
You know as well as I do that attitudes on gays has changed dramatically.Even in the Black community.
I cant tell you that I have NEVER heard any anti gay rhetoric coming from any black church I have beeen to in the last 10 years.

Those Black pastors that you posted before arer the same pastors who met with Trump.They are far outside of what most black churches are doing in their outreach or lack of outreach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 09:24 AM

76 posts, read 87,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Out of all of this, you only cited one example of a Black pastor that has actively pushed a political anti-gay agenda. For the most part, Black churches will preach against homosexuality and it stays right there in the pulpit. It's the White evangelical community that has taken up the mantle of politically crusading against the LGBT community, including politicians.
After all, it's largely the white politicians with the power too. It's not like there was much *opportunity* for black people to even be involved in the making of LGBT laws. And it's my impression that black politicians tend to be on the liberal side of the community since they do work with non-black Democrats and activists a lot as part of the job.

The history of race and LGBT rights is complex. LGBT groups, there's a fair history there of neglecting the issues of non-white LGBT individuals. While less-so now I'm sure, the tendency for some to view their groups as 'one size fits all' still leaves plenty of reason for groups with their own issues to exist. At least nowadays, said different groups also are more likely to work together.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Many of them act as if you being a black person around them is a kin to having the plague.
Sometimes it is hard to tell why people act negatively toward us. It could be something inherent like gender, race or age, but there might be other factors involved as well.

I once got my feelings hurt because of the way some folks from up north acted toward me and I thought it was because I'm southern, but my other half said, "Arjay, maybe they just don't think you are as amusing as you think you are."

Old 12-29-2016, 10:00 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
The fact that you could only manage to pull up a few obscure references proves my point: this type of thing is very rare for Black pastors and politicians. And in the third link, the effort was spearheaded by a non-Black organization trying to get Black pastors on board.

For every rare instance of a Black pastor attempting to push an anti-LGBT agenda politically, 10-20 examples can be cited for White evangelical pastors.

The fact of the matter is that the type of political activism that is most common for Black pastors to engage in includes things like voting rights, fighting crime, job training, housing, etc.--the things that affect their parishioners and community members the most. Railing against LGBT rights is waaaaaaayyyy down on the list.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroiaSD View Post
After all, it's largely the white politicians with the power too. It's not like there was much *opportunity* for black people to even be involved in the making of LGBT laws.
This is true, but you haven't even seen much in the way of Black (Democrat) politicians forming alliances with White (Republican) politicians to push anti-LGBT agendas. And it's very rare to see that sort of thing happening on the local level in cities where Blacks have a considerable amount of political clout.

Quote:
And it's my impression that black politicians tend to be on the liberal side of the community since they do work with non-black Democrats and activists a lot as part of the job.
Agreed.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
How did black people get brought into this. This topic is about GAYS (white gays) and their political power.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:42 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Well, at least one of our openly gay legislators is black. How about getting some others to run?

Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
It's sad when someone thinks they're really clever but they make so little sense, no one even pays attention to them.
You paid full attention. Im what the people call "woke"
I think that is what the kids are saying now. "woke"
Anywho I think its great all the gays are getting all their rights while the blacks are being left behind. Maybe that was the agenda the entire time. Its interesting how white women used black women for feminist causes and then abandoned them. The LGBT used the same tactics with the black gays. Groups are all about unity until a certain segment gets what they want out of life then they try to become an authority on issues. This thread is a perfect example. Stay "woke" as the kids say.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Anywho I think its great all the gays are getting all their rights while the blacks are being left behind.
Give me a break. Black folks have had all the rights that gays are now getting for some time now. And it's still legal to fire people due to sexual orientation.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, at least one of our openly gay legislators is black. How about getting some others to run?
Good question they have a way better chance of winning a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta