Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 12:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
We don't necessarily need to consolidate. What I'm hoping for is private companies running transit to Cobb and Gwinnett counties, and North Fulton.
North Fulton is part of MARTA, so probably not. CobbLinc is contracted out to a private company, look at the great job they do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:09 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
We need something much more than the status quo plus "consolidating some of their planning and funding functions".

There needs to be a new way for MARTA to permanently expand into the parts of Cobb and Gwinnett counties that would be favorable to it, and that need it most. Without a county-wide referendum required. Just a referendum in those areas, such as Cumberland. And one that could hopefully happen in November of this year.

Commuter rail, I'm certainly open to having a P3 work with GRTA for that or whatever. Especially since it needs to serve outside the 5 MARTA-allowed counties.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
We need something much more than the status quo plus "consolidating some of their planning and funding functions".

There needs to be a new way for MARTA to permanently expand into the parts of Cobb and Gwinnett counties that would be favorable to it, and that need it most. Without a county-wide referendum required. Just a referendum in those areas, such as Cumberland. And one that could hopefully happen in November of this year.

Commuter rail, I'm certainly open to having a P3 work with GRTA for that or whatever. Especially since it needs to serve outside the 5 MARTA-allowed counties.
Then I'd be getting on the horn with your state rep and telling them that.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:16 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Then I'd be getting on the horn with your state rep and telling them that.
She's a pro-transit progressive Democrat, hopelessly outnumbered and powerless. But, sure, OK, I'll talk to her.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
She's a pro-transit progressive Democrat, hopelessly outnumbered and powerless. But, sure, OK, I'll talk to her.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:09 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
That's a good thing. Legislators who are in the minority need to know that they are not out there all alone.

They also need contributions.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:10 AM

11,801 posts, read 8,008,183 times
This is a really good start but it still leaves me with some worries. -- I'll explain below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
That's amazing, I didn't know we had the funding.
I personally have always been under the impression that funding was one of the smaller things limiting the Metro from receiving more extensive mass-transit. I'm sure if the demand was there.. the money would find its way there as it did for just about everything else this city has built. I have personally felt that it has been more so about too many political figures with too many different agendas other than what is best for the metro region as a whole.

This is really good news.

However here are my concerns, also noted from your first post.

What I am really scared of is that while the funding for the bus systems may be consolidated, that the actual services themselves may still very well be divided and operate as their own company instead of one joint effort running similarly or exactly as MARTA does leaving the metro still with gaps of coverage and no coordination making the new services infeasible (commute wise, not price wise) to use .. .. I "personally" would like to see both Cobb and Gwinnett surrender and run jointly as MARTA, maybe not BECOME MARTA, but much like the Sound Transit system in the Puget Sound -- Multiple counties offer different bus services but they are all run jointly under Sound Transit which gives them an extremely large area of coverage and seamless transits making travel even from Olympia to Downtown Seattle (Nearly 70 miles) quite realistic.

This is a REALLY good start and gives us hope so don't get me wrong Im not knocking this, I'm just hoping that these counties don't intend on just "throwing money at it" and expecting it all to work because it's going to take a bit more than that... there will need to be close collaboration as to how these systems will be providing services as well....also I am hoping to see a rail system expansion / or commuter rail emerge from this as well.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This is a really good start but it still leaves me with some worries. -- I'll explain below...

I personally have always been under the impression that funding was one of the smaller things limiting the Metro from receiving more extensive mass-transit. I'm sure if the demand was there.. the money would find its way there as it did for just about everything else this city has built. I have personally felt that it has been more so about too many political figures with too many different agendas other than what is best for the metro region as a whole.

This is really good news.

However here are my concerns, also noted from your first post.

What I am really scared of is that while the funding for the bus systems may be consolidated, that the actual services themselves may still very well be divided and operate as their own company instead of one joint effort running similarly or exactly as MARTA does leaving the metro still with gaps of coverage and no coordination making the new services infeasible (commute wise, not price wise) to use .. .. I "personally" would like to see both Cobb and Gwinnett surrender and run jointly as MARTA, maybe not BECOME MARTA, but much like the Sound Transit system in the Puget Sound -- Multiple counties offer different bus services but they are all run jointly under Sound Transit which gives them an extremely large area of coverage and seamless transits making travel even from Olympia to Downtown Seattle (Nearly 70 miles) quite realistic.

This is a REALLY good start and gives us hope so don't get me wrong Im not knocking this, I'm just hoping that these counties don't intend on just "throwing money at it" and expecting it all to work because it's going to take a bit more than that... there will need to be close collaboration as to how these systems will be providing services as well....also I am hoping to see a rail system expansion / or commuter rail emerge from this as well.
Sound Transit operates much like GRTA/SRTA. In that it does not run local bus, only express bus (and in their case commuter rail and light rail.) King County Metro runs local bus, ART/BRT, and Express in King County, WA. ArcGIS Web Application
Seattle has the layered approach of transit, that many posters have been discussing.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Lawmakers say they’re not inclined to subsidize transit operations. Instead, they’ve discussed finding a dedicated funding source for capital projects.
“I think the state’s role would be capital construction,” said state Sen. Brandon Beach, R-Alpharetta, the chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee. “We do billion-dollar projects, and we’re pretty good at it.”
That doesn't sound like investment in a bus based solution, they're thinking about rail.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That doesn't sound like investment in a bus based solution, they're thinking about rail.
Instead of MARTA, CCT, GCT, and SRTA competing for FTA funds, I can see this bill organizing the planning and funding of those large capital projects, therefore getting something like a Top End transit line built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta