Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 AM

11,776 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Yeah, I agree and can definitely see how people can get too comfortable and/or complacent while seemingly being totally oblivious to one’s surroundings.

But I’m still having trouble wrapping my mind around why someone like Ludacris would leave his luxury vehicle (a black Mercedes-Benz) unlocked and running with the keys inside, probably some distance away from the car with his back turned to the car while at the ATM?

... It’s something that is strongly ill-advised just about anywhere and everywhere, but particularly in an area like Downtown Atlanta, where there is a very high population of extremely transient people often wandering the streets, and a place that has been the subject of many rap songs about crimes like carjacking and robbery, including many songs by Ludacris himself.

A figure like Ludacris should know much better than to leave one’s luxury vehicle unlocked and running while unattended for any length of time, including and particularly in a city/metro like Atlanta, and especially in an urban neighborhood like Downtown Atlanta. But yet, he did it anyway.
I particularly am not the most influenced by rap or hip hop so I probably do not have the best answers, however; just based on what I know about some people who are, some of them tend to have this ideal about becoming, or being the 'top dog' so to speak and in doing so, they believe they become invincible, regardless of what real mortal threats lie around them. Maybe its an ego thing. I'm unsure though. It could have also very well have been an innocent mistake on his part as well...everyone has moments when they let their guards down, otherwise we wouldn't need insurance

Another thing to note about comfort is, Atlanta's more dangerous areas, can actually come off deceivingly safe, secure and even upkept...so potential victims, especially those unfamiliar with the areas may put themselves more at ease to do things they shouldn't do in the sakes of safety thinking it will be okay... So there is that too.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-27-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:21 AM

617 posts, read 551,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe it is a generational thing.

It would never cross my mind to walk away and leave my car running and unlocked.

What is the point of having car keys if you're going to do that?
Nah I think it’s more of a careless and stupid people thing. I’m younger than Luda and would never (especially in Atlanta) leave my car running and walk away.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:27 AM

23 posts, read 17,423 times
As a officer, regardless of what people do with their property.......An environment of less tolerance for car thieves with 0 mercy on sentencing may help a lot. These thieves know better than to ever try this in places like Manalapan FL.

And no... "prison reform" help for them either.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:10 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecursiveLoop View Post
As a officer, regardless of what people do with their property.......An environment of less tolerance for car thieves with 0 mercy on sentencing may help a lot. These thieves know better than to ever try this in places like Manalapan FL.

And no... "prison reform" help for them either.
Bigger issue is how the crime is prosecuted. My friends sad sack of **** son has stolen 2 cars in the last 6 months & walked both times. First time he "borrowed" a car with another meth head & drove it 4 states away for 2 weeks until he was caught breaking & entering. 2nd time from a hospital emergency lot where a guy had walked his wife in who was having a heart attack. The car was left running, he jumped in & took off. Police had him on video taking the car, charges were dropped he if agreed to tell them where the car was left at.

Both times it was grand theft auto, but he wasn't charged because the owner was able to retrieve the cars with his help.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:04 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Well maybe if cops didn't fill up jails with people with simple possession weed charges they'd have room for actual criminals. Boy oh boy now that private prisons can't profit off of prison labor I can't wait to see how they change the system.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Well maybe if cops didn't fill up jails with people with simple possession weed charges they'd have room for actual criminals. Boy oh boy now that private prisons can't profit off of prison labor I can't wait to see how they change the system.
Admittedly on this one I can agree.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:27 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Nah I think it’s more of a careless and stupid people thing. I’m younger than Luda and would never (especially in Atlanta) leave my car running and walk away.
It may depend on the circumstances. Some wealthy people may be able to pick up their phone and say "Bring me another Mercedes" and have one there in short order. If so, why go through all the hassle of turning off your car and locking the door when you're only getting out for a few minutes?

Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
It may depend on the circumstances. Some wealthy people may be able to pick up their phone and say "Bring me another Mercedes" and have one there in short order. If so, why go through all the hassle of turning off your car and locking the door when you're only getting out for a few minutes?
lol. The wealthiest people are actually the most fickle about spending, so they are not careless about their possessions. Dubious may be another story though.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:54 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Do gas stations and convenience store owners need to do more to prevent car thefts?
We need a public campaign urging better parenting.

We need to get to the root of the problem, because for decades our correctional system hasn't served as a deterrent, and now much of it is privatized and once introduced into the system, profit is made off keeping individuals in the system one way or another. It's a racket preying on offenders without any training to walk another path once time is served.

I'll bet many youth see crime as just as a way to make it in the world, no different from any other line of work.

Establishment of better goals must start very early on when kids are preparing to enter kindergarten.

A public ad campaign calling for less criminal acts would help just as plainly as that. The media dictates what's on our minds at any given time.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:55 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
If that's too much for an adult to remember and practice, then they shouldn't be allowed to drive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta