Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 11:20 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times

Advertisements

Yep, and especially in the spring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:54 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times
Super awesome post! So happy I finally moved there. ATL is lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
While Atlanta doesn't have the huge mountains right on like Seattle, Portland, Denver and Phoenix

Atlanta environment the tail of the Piedmont region is more scenic and hilly than probably 80% of the large cities in the country,

Appalachian regional commission, Atlanta is probably going surpass Pittsburgh with have the most in Appalachia.

Kenasaw moutain

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/61689791.jpg
Sweet Mountains

pine mountain

but another thing why Atlanta stand out is the way Atlanta is develop with in forest.

while those other metros are green they are 3 millions or lesser. Atlanta is nearly 6 million, Atlanta is basically a green giant.

People don't expect a city/metro to be this large and this green at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxQe1U-s8U

How many cities do you think you ride a heavy rail in a forest environment like this?

Chattahoochee national recreation area this is a park of the national parks a lot people in the metros don't even stuff like this exist.

Inncorect

Atlanta downtown is at it's location because a "terminus" for trains need a flat area to turn around.

Which limited the area because The Atlanta region is full of creeks and hills.

This is why Downtown isn't closer to the Chattahoochee west, and to the east Atlanta had stuff like Ponce de Leon Springs and etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponce_...ings_(Atlanta)

Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I would point out that is a very limited poll.
No it ain't...

Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No it ain't...
So the only places worth considering are

Atlanta
Austin
New Orleans
Phoenix

for beautiful natural setting?

Toss in San Francisco and see how the voting goes.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
So the only places worth considering are

Atlanta
Austin
New Orleans
Phoenix

for beautiful natural setting?

Toss in San Francisco and see how the voting goes.
Well, duh!

How about we toss in Neville Township along the lovely Ohio River in Greater Pittsburgh and see how the voting goes.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I didnt read through all 10 pages of this.

Coming from Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, some parts of Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, ect.. no..Atlanta is average at best.. not really beautiful..not ugly either..but nothing more than an urban city set away in a forested region of America.
i was surprised the first time I went to Atlanta how many trees there are. That's above average as many just said. Northwest also has far more trees than many places. Very nice place as well. Between the food and the nice leafiness I quite enjoyed Atlanta.

There are many cities even in the forested southeast hellbent razing any and all trees to create pavement sprawl and even vacant lots just use them for parking. ATL was an example of planning for the car but seems to be on the rise with more innovative planning which is great!

Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Well, duh!
The thread demanded the "most beautiful natural setting". So why not put up good candidates?

Quote:
How about we toss in Neville Township along the lovely Ohio River in Greater Pittsburgh and see how the voting goes.
Or add Flint MI to ensure Atlanta wins the polling? People would have to look up Neville Island. The western part of the island in not bad. And yes the Ohio is lovely.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Atlanta is beautiful with the tree foliage and hillside views, but I still dont find it that different than other piedmont cities otherwise.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:57 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Atlanta is beautiful with the tree foliage and hillside views, but I still dont find it that different than other piedmont cities otherwise.
My view exactly. What would be an ordinary southern Piedmont cityscape takes on a different character due to the extreme foliage cover. It's almost as if a city was constructed within a jungle. It wasn't that long ago there was someone here complaining about not being able to "see" gas stations and stores due to so many trees in the way. Few cities could relate to such a "complaint."

It's hillier than many southern cities due to the foothills of the Appalachians, which is nice for some. Pancake flatness gets dull sometimes.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
The thread demanded the "most beautiful natural setting". So why not put up good candidates?
The thread you are referencing is in the City vs City room and didn't originate here, so what's your point? This is just another example of you moving the goalposts to further deride Atlanta. I'm sure you think it's subtle, but it's not.

Quote:
Or add Flint MI to ensure Atlanta wins the polling? People would have to look up Neville Island. The western part of the island in not bad. And yes the Ohio is lovely.
You're the one that suggested adding San Francisco to ensure Atlanta would lose the polling - and in a landslide at that.

Again, your agenda is showing. You aren't fooling anyone.

I realize Pittsburgh is less than optimal, but you must be really bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta