Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 19,453 times

Advertisements

I'm moving with my wife (pregnant with twins!) down from Rhode Island to Atlanta area. My office will be in Alpharetta so would like to be nearby...although a 45 minute commute wouldn't bother me much. I would like a community that comes with activities for both children and adults (pool, Jungle gyms, tennis, fitness center etc). We're not golfers so it doesn't have to be a golf country club but I'm also not opposed to it either. I just want something in a nice development where property values are fairly stable (although I know nothing is truly stable when it comes to real estate). Our budget is $800K-$1M. A friend suggested "Crooked Creek". Another friend suggested "Country Club of South" but I didn't care too much for it when I went there. Would like newer homes at least built in the 2000's. Any ideas/thoughts/advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance!
VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
I would suggest living up by work.

Swim/Tennis/Golf communities are plentiful up there.

Country Club of the South has everything from $500k homes to $5MM.

Crooked Creek is just like many of the other communities, so I'd definitely look around.

You may want to consider in and around Roswell as well. Good schools, restaurants, outdoor activities.

If a drive doesn't scare you, you may want to check out Dunwoody. Great sense of community and your budget will go just as nearly as far there as Alpharetta/Roswell. Could get a new build in a very established neighborhood (you'll notice much of Atlanta in and near the perimeter is being torn down/rebuilt).

Old 01-03-2017, 04:04 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Crooked Creek is pretty nice. CC of the South is older and has fairly high property taxes, but there are some serious homes in there. Although you may be at the low-end price wise, I'd recommend also taking a look at The Manor and Echelon.

The Manor | Luxury Homes for Sale Atlanta

Manor Golf Course And Country Club, Alpharetta, GA Real Estate & Homes for Sale - realtor.comĀ®

http://www.fischerhomes.com/communities/247/Echelon/

A little further away, but still pretty close to Alpharetta, I also like CreekStone Estates. No golf here, but nice big lots with plenty of elbow room. > Creekstone Estates - Cumming Real Estate - Cumming GA Homes For Sale | Zillow

Do you know whereabouts in Alpharetta? It's pretty spread out.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-03-2017 at 05:24 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 04:43 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I sure wouldn't look towards Dunwoody if I was working in Alpharetta, there's just no need to go that far for what the OP wants. Crooked Creek is pretty popular, but it's huge, and right off GA 9, which isn't my favorite location.

For housing, any one of dozens of new developments in that price range. For activities combined with housing, look at White Columns, Triple Crown, Highland Manor, and The Manor.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Crooked Creek is ok, but your property values will be tied to the financial situation at the golf course. If it tanks, then your house value will suffer until a new owner/operator takes it over.

Check out Glen Abbey on Kimble Bridge. Well built and large houses with a great swim/tennis area. I lived there when it was new, and we liked it a lot.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 AM

Really appreciate all your input. We have a lot to think about. Almost too many choices. We will check out all the communities mentioned. Additionally I will check out a place called Edinburgh (Bear's Best). Someone said that was also nice. Any further feedback is helpful. I love hearing different points of view! Thank you for helping us!!!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:12 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
The problem with Edinburgh is that you're now looking in Gwinnett county. The commute from Gwinnett to Alpharetta is painful. If you're looking out that way then you open up a lot more options such as St. Marlo, St. Ives, Laurel Springs, Seven Oaks, etc. All of these, especially Seven Oaks are a lot closer to Alpharetta than Edinburgh. If you're interested in Gwinnett, then add Sugarloaf Country Club to your list.

http://www.atlantadreamliving.com/20...ntry-club.html

However, I'd recommend staying close to Alpharetta if possible.

Mattie mentioned White Columns/Triple Crown, which is in an area with a lot of subdivisions that meet your criteria with a short drive to Alpharetta.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 01-04-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 08:31 AM

347 posts, read 379,682 times
It's a little set back, but also check out Vickery Creek ( intersection of Post Road and Majors Rd )

It's a slight mixed use development ( front end has dental, restaurants, brewery ) with some townhomes, and then a lot of newer build homes. Not so much in terms of property as you would with an older built home, but they have some charm. I'll admit I have no idea in regards to HOA or taxes - but I'll link to one below.

7045 Vickery Creek Rd, Cumming, GA 30040 | MLS #5766196 | Zillow

Also, congrats on the twins! There's a Wellstart North Fulton hospital south of Alpharetta, Northside is north up in Cumming, and Emory just east over in Johns Creek ( best friend had theirs there, they were very happy with the level of care received ).

Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM

Thank you! Based on what I'm hearing, it sure looks like I should stay in the Alpharetta/Milton/John's Creek areas. Good schools and less painful commute to my work in Alpharetta. At least that limits the number of choices down. Looking for a 5 Bed with a pool. That also limits things a bit as well. We can go over $1M if needed but would prefer $900-1M. I will narrow down the focus to these 3 towns and see what I find. Just when I think I heard of every development, someone tells me about another one! Lots of options!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM

190 posts, read 318,590 times
That's funny you're looking at Crooked Creek and CCOS. My sister lives in CC, and my in-laws live in CCOS. My wife and I have actually been looking to move to CCOS this spring, but we just haven't found the right house yet. You're right that houses in CCOS are a bit older and will most likely need some renovation, but for us, we're more tied down to location, so that's the area we've narrowed it down to. I will say that there's a huge number of kids in the neighborhood, and there's always something going on. For you, your options are much greater in the Alpharetta area though. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of CC though. The houses are nice, and definitely lots of kids, but I just feel like the houses are on top of each other, and for that price range, I want a little more space. Of course, that's just my opinion, so if yard size doesn't bother you, then CC is fine, although the pool area tends to get packed in the summer. Someone mentioned the Manor, which is really nice, but may be a little further out than you want to go. I would check out White Columns as well. Another neighborhood which is great, but kind of under the radar is Champions View. It's in different sections, so it's almost like multiple neighborhoods with different facilities. The houses range from $500k to over a million. It's just down the street from CC. If you're looking on the other side of GA400, you might want to look at The Falls at Autry Mills. It's on the same street as CCOS, but much newer houses. I grew up in the area, so to me, that whole area is considered Alpharetta. John's Creek and Milton are each relatively new as far as city hood goes, but you can't go wrong with either...especially if you work in the area. The only reason we're not looking farther up north is because we want to stay close to my wife's work. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta