Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times

Advertisements

Don't sleep on Louisville people. I never even thought about it until I got caught in traffic on 65 headed up to Chicago and just stopped there and got a room one night. I was actually surprised and since then I've made it a point to stop thru and explore it when I'm going that way. It's actually a cool city. And yeah it's in Kentucky but some parts look a lot more urban than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:01 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Ha. So true.

Also the state that gave us the wonderful Mitch McConnell, a senator who admits his proudest moment is literally refusing to do his job and has existed for 8 years solely to prevent Obama from doing anything to help anyone.

Anyway, celebs dont want to spend weeks in Kentucky. At least atlanta has culture and high end restaurants and clubs.
You might want to be careful here, Louisville isn't what you think it is and it's Totally different from the Rest of Kentucky just like Atlanta is different from the rest of Georgia. It's not one of those things you can just think Louisville is just this small rural Southern hick Town, its not. Pretty Big City with Culture and diversity in the center of the US in between the North and the South. It actually can play a Northern or Southern City or anything in between so it's a chance GA could lose some here. Lexington is a pretty nice Mid Sized City as well that stands to gain a lot from this with Tons of Beautiful Landscaping. Another thing, I just think Southern Indiana stands to gain a little here as well being Louisville is a 2 State Metro, a lot like Philly/NJ, Chicago/Northern IN, Cincy/ Northern KY etc.

Last edited by oobanks; 01-05-2017 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Don't sleep on Louisville people. I never even thought about it until I got caught in traffic on 65 headed up to Chicago and just stopped there and got a room one night. I was actually surprised and since then I've made it a point to stop thru and explore it when I'm going that way. It's actually a cool city. And yeah it's in Kentucky but some parts look a lot more urban than Atlanta.

So true. I was in parts of the city as well that could easily play a dense Urban up North to Midwest City. It's funny because it goes back to that Kentucky stereo type.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
So true. I was in parts of the city as well that could easily play a dense Urban up North to Midwest City. It's funny because it goes back to that Kentucky stereo type.
Yeah they even got rowhouses up there. Not the whole city but good bit of it looks just like those up north cities. Met this bartender at the hotel I was at and she took me to some artsy stuff the next time I came thru and my mouth was on the floor. It's actually a cool a$$ little city. I was surprised by the whole experience. I wouldn't sleep on Louisville at all when it comes to staging stuff for a movie. And the Ohio River is huge. Had no idea that thing was that wide. Thats something that we don't have, it dwarfs the Chattahoochee. The city overall is for sure not what you think of when you think Kentucky

Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah they even got rowhouses up there. Not the whole city but good bit of it looks just like those up north cities. Met this bartender at the hotel I was at and she took me to some artsy stuff the next time I came thru and my mouth was on the floor. It's actually a cool a$$ little city. I was surprised by the whole experience. I wouldn't sleep on Louisville at all when it comes to staging stuff for a movie. And the Ohio River is huge. Had no idea that thing was that wide. Thats something that we don't have, it dwarfs the Chattahoochee. The city overall is for sure not what you think of when you think Kentucky

LOL,,, Home of KFC and Muhammad Ali !!! For the Modern Kids (Bryson Tiller)

Old 01-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
LOL,,, Home of KFC and Muhammad Ali !!! For the Modern Kids (Bryson Tiller)
Wow. I did not know Tiller was from Louisville. That's dope

Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
You all would be foolish to think that Louisville could not grab a percentage f film jobs from Georgia. We grabbed a high percentage from NYC and LA with the incentives that GA threw their way. What makes you all think that Louisville doesn't have a chance at that same great strategy GA used?
For one.Topography.Atlanta,Savannah,Mountains,Swamps,o ceans,etc,Kentucky lacks much of that.
Two.Weather.It is warmer and sunnier longer without snow.

Three: The Airport is the busiest in the world makes it easy to fly anywhere anytime.
Four:As others have mentioned.Georgia has spent millions on infrastructure,There are actual studios,schools,production facilities etc already in place.

Its not simply bragging,It just makes sense for those reasons.The tax breaks would have to be so ow that forgoing much of that would have to make monetary sense to equal out

Of course Kentucky will benefit b ut if we are talking rivaling Georgia,not likely.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM

770 posts, read 603,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
For one.Topography.Atlanta,Savannah,Mountains,Swamps,o ceans,etc,Kentucky lacks much of that.
Two.Weather.It is warmer and sunnier longer without snow.

Three: The Airport is the busiest in the world makes it easy to fly anywhere anytime.
Four:As others have mentioned.Georgia has spent millions on infrastructure,There are actual studios,schools,production facilities etc already in place.

Its not simply bragging,It just makes sense for those reasons.The tax breaks would have to be so ow that forgoing much of that would have to make monetary sense to equal out

Of course Kentucky will benefit b ut if we are talking rivaling Georgia,not likely.
This is probably the best post on the subject.

Tax breaks are one thing and will they get work, sure, but until studios stay and build, it'll be temporary until the breaks end.

They do have some things that they might get though, small town stuff could certainly be a player, there are some unusual things about Louisville, particularly the caves, etc. But I think you'll find specific types of productions that could be geared for what they offer.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
This is probably the best post on the subject.

Tax breaks are one thing and will they get work, sure, but until studios stay and build, it'll be temporary until the breaks end.

They do have some things that they might get though, small town stuff could certainly be a player, there are some unusual things about Louisville, particularly the caves, etc. But I think you'll find specific types of productions that could be geared for what they offer.

Speaking of Movies, " The Return of the Living Dead " Remake would be a good one to see remade and Filmed in Louisville. It's one of the best and Most Popular 80's Movies about Louisville, KY but actually filmed in Los Angeles. I have always wanted to see this move updated, remixed and redone, either in it's original Movie Setting Louisville or here in Atlanta. Both being know as Zombie Cities. I can see Atlanta being a good set for this as well.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
THIS.

It's so funny how no one on CD has been to Louisville...and the ones that have defend the hell out of it.

Louisville's biggest problem is itself....but that is quickly changing.

24.2 million tourists last year.

9 BILLION in construction in the city alone.

Lest you all forget that Louisville and New Orleans, NOT Atlanta, was king of the south just 60 years ago! Louisville has a few neighborhoods Atlanta could only dream of for this reason.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...means-for.html

I think this article is actually out of date as ANOTHER boutique hotel was announced downtown last week. That makes about 12 new ones.

And Louisville will always have one thing ATL cannot create, and that is Bourbon. The Bourbon tourism boom is in its infancy. I identified this first several years ago, and its why I moved here. Watch out for Louisville.

If anyone heads up here, PM me and I will show you around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta