Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 08:17 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,256,042 times

Advertisements

What they'll probably do, is get rid of the crosswalk there. Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 06:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I take it you have never had the joy of working in an office that is located near a venue like this. So let me enlighten you: pedestrians crossing the street can tie you up for 10, 20, and even 30 minutes if the police directing traffic don't know what they're doing.

Think about where this venue is and how many nearby buildings need to conduct some semblance of normal business while events are going on (not to mention emergency vehicles).

Events tie up things for WAY MORE than 120 seconds. This is just spoken by someone who has never had to get to work or get home while an event is happening.

With your logic, why do we even have a Beltline? We already had a network of sidewalks, who needs right of way?

If this was some new bridge to expand that project, you all would be all about it.
I guess you do not understand what I was saying, I am referring to giving pedestrian a 120 second signal to cross. Vehicles on state routes normally get this much time. Coordinating and training traffic management to cops is far cheaper than the bridge.
And no I am not for any pedestrian bridge, in fact I have spoken out against the idea of a bridge over Moreland for the Freedom Park Trail.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM

643 posts, read 571,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Why? No one but him (and probably a contractor buddy of his) wants this turd.
You vote for a Mayor who is known to be corrupt and you are surprised when he acts in a corrupt manner?

Yeah... you get what you deserve.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
You vote for a Mayor who is known to be corrupt and you are surprised when he acts in a corrupt manner?

Yeah... you get what you deserve.
Fair enough, though this isn't strictly an Atlanta problem.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Unless no one uses it because it takes so much time to get up, across, and then back down from the bridge. Other traffic safety methods could be introduced, like lowering the speed limit, adding HAWK Signals, better enforcing existing speed limits, creating a median and 'ped island', etc.
That's my thought, too, but maybe I'm relying too much on my own preferences. When I want to cross the road, I want to do it at street level on a good safe crosswalk, with the sort of controls you mention. I'm just too lazy to walk up a lengthy approach, cross over and then walk back down on the other side.

Other people may be more inclined to do so, I just don't know.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's my thought, too, but maybe I'm relying too much on my own preferences. When I want to cross the road, I want to do it at street level on a good safe crosswalk, with the sort of controls you mention. I'm just too lazy to walk up a lengthy approach, cross over and then walk back down on the other side.

Other people may be more inclined to do so, I just don't know.

I don't know. Maybe some people like the feeling of walking on 12 million dollars. I'm sure they can fix the street for pedestrians and still have a few million left. Northside will eventually densify so it's going to be needed anyway.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Northside is a major road corridor. There are some roads that are never going to be pared down to 2-lane primarily bike and pedestrian route and Northside is one of them!

Old 01-06-2017, 11:07 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Northside is a major road corridor. There are some roads that are never going to be pared down to 2-lane primarily bike and pedestrian route and Northside is one of them!
Well, it WILL be pared down to 4 lanes with bus lanes, so that's a start.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:53 PM

364 posts, read 418,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
What they'll probably do, is get rid of the crosswalk there. Maybe.
State law dictates that even if a crosswalk does not exist at an intersection it is still legal for pedestrians to cross. It is in fact legal to cross at any point on a road when the section of road has a non-signalized intersection at either end of it.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,521,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
I never really viewed Northside Drive as a huge divider between downtown and the west side. If they want a connection between west side and downtown they need more than this. This is simple to get people from Vine City to the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta