Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,467 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know about East Point and if you would live there.

Single black man, no kids. Over 35y/o.

I haven't landed my job yet but I'll be there for my interviews next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 01:57 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
It depends where. Anyplace around Main St is awesome and will give you a great car free commute providing your work is accessible via MARTA. You also get great restaurants along Main St in Downtown East Point and College Park.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 8,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
It depends where. Anyplace around Main St is awesome and will give you a great car free commute providing your work is accessible via MARTA. You also get great restaurants along Main St in Downtown East Point and College Park.
Thx for the reply.

Old 01-07-2017, 04:14 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Not a chance in hell, even for free. I generally don't live in areas where Neighborhood Scout says the following:

"For East Point, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon."

Old 01-07-2017, 08:16 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Not a chance in hell, even for free. I generally don't live in areas where Neighborhood Scout says the following:

"For East Point, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon."
The City of Atlanta has a high crime rate too but that doesn't mean every corner of a city is going to be bad. South Cobb has crime, parts of Marietta has crime, Central and South Gwinnett has crime. We need to stop generalizing large areas. East Point is a city with different neighborhoods with different feels.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
People need to read more actuarial tables and learn how to properly assess risk. The reason the crime rate is higher is because it's easier for people involved in black market stuff to lay low in lower-income neighborhoods. Avoid hanging out with those people and you're not going to have a problem. Neighborhood Scout is acting like it's Crips and Bloods out in the street with AKs and you're gonna get caught in the crossfire walking down the street or something. It's not the 1980s anymore. It's safer in East Point than it was in Buckhead 30 years ago.

My dad grew up in East Point, I have been there driving, walking, all times of day and night, and I've never had a problem. The only advice I would give is to ask around the location in East Point where you're moving. If you're moving into or near an older apartment complex, check out the reviews online and see if people report having trouble living there.

As for rape, men seem to have this bizarre concept of "stranger rape", where someone grabs you off the street or invades your house and rapes you. That is never how it happens. Rape is committed by boyfriends, husbands, and "friends", and they do it when it's easy-- when you're drunk, when they're in your house alone, when you're asleep. And they don't call it rape because they all know men who have done these things, and it's easier to write it off as "he said she said" rather than admit that someone they know is a rapist.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:16 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post

Your level of ignorance defies logic sometimes.
Do you really think every partof every city is dangerous?
Do you think people that live here are concerned about violent crimes?
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6546...1!2i44!6m1!1e1

Would developers be building new homes and retail if it was dangerous/.How many bad neighborhoods have you ever seen with a Target in the area?ANYWHERE?
Target-Atlantic Station
Target-Lindbergh Buckhead
Target-Edgewood Retail Center
Target-Fayette Pavillion
Target -Target Lenox/Buckhead
target-Dunwoody
target-North Druid Hills Atlanta

You are the type of person that will become a victim because you actually think those crime websites will kepp you from being in danger.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:41 AM

333 posts, read 388,077 times
No, East Point would not be my first choice for residency. Why not? I have school-aged children.

Tri-Cities High School

Old 01-08-2017, 06:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
The crime in East Point is mostly in between Delowe to Stanton going west to east and from 166 to Conally going north to south. Throw in Washington Rd closer to 285 and that's it basically. Most of EP is so quiet it's boring actually. And that's a good thing IMO. The Alison Courts area off of Campbellton (Delowe and 166 area) is one of the worst in COA too and it kinda seeps into the northern part of EP. But that's just one area, and it's pretty small compared to EP as a whole. Overall EP is a gem. Close in, close to MARTA, safe, cheap houses and im sure it will even get better. Would totally live in EP, compared to the area of the city I grew up in, its Candyland. And the OP is a single Black male from St Louis, and judging by his screen name he has a level of street smarts. I'm sure he'll be fine. Unlike other posters on here who are scared of their own shadow, and sit around scared all day inside behind their computer screens typing up zip codes and looking at maps of areas that they don't even have the intestinal fortitude to visit themselves. Smh

Old 01-08-2017, 07:01 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
The only advice I would give is to ask around the location in East Point where you're moving. If you're moving into or near an older apartment complex, check out the reviews online and see if people report having trouble living there.
That's spot on advice. Make sure to really check out neighboring apartment complexes. Most of the time they are fine, but occasionally they can be a haven for criminals. You really have to research East Point, some areas are fine while others are quite sketchy.

If you can, I would recommend looking more into Historic College Park. In my four years here, I have learned there is a significant difference between the two cities. Speaking generally, houses are nicer, there are less apartment complexes, and crime in historic CP is relatively low. IMO, the city government is run really well in CP and the cops don't just brush off crime like it is expected. After living in CP a few years, I get the impression it is not the same in EP.

I know a little less about Hapeville, but there are some pretty nice neighborhoods. Their downtown is growing significantly and the nearby Porsche and Aerotropolis development is good for the area. Definitely worth a look if you're thinking about EP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta