Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times

Advertisements

Two people found dead in parking lot near Walmart | WSB-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 06:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
mmm, doesn't have the same ring to it

Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
It was a domestic murder-suicide. Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:45 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
That incident happened at the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale. That Walmart has had issues for years and has been known to be one of the more active Walmart stores in the entire nation when it comes to incidents of violent crime.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:34 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That incident happened at the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale. That Walmart has had issues for years and has been known to be one of the more active Walmart stores in the entire nation when it comes to incidents of violent crime.
Do you have data to back this up? I'm no fan of Riverdale, but I do think the impression of crime in that part of Clayton County is worse than reality.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Did this have anything to do with the Walmark?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:49 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Do you have data to back this up? I'm no fan of Riverdale, but I do think the impression of crime in that part of Clayton County is worse than reality.
Here's a link to a write-up talking about how a Georgia jury ordered Walmart to pay a woman $4.2 million after she was shot in the back during a carjacking in the parking lot of Walmart Supercenter back in 2001...

"Deep pocket files: Wal-Mart on $4.2 million hook for carjacking" (Overlawyered, August 10, 2006)
https://www.overlawyered.com/2006/08...or-carjacking/

From the article in the link:
Quote:
Katoria Lee refused a carjacker’s command to surrender her car-keys in 2001, so he shot her in the back. This, a Georgia state court jury decided, was the fault of Wal-Mart, who owned the parking lot where the shooting occurred. Eric Deown Riggins, 22, was caught within minutes, and is serving a 15-year sentence in state prison for the crime.

Lee’s attorney, Lance Cooper, mentioned the 398 visits by police to the Riverdale Wal-Mart in the twenty months before the accident as evidence that there should have been “more” security that made Wal-Mart at fault for a third-party’s malicious crime, but that figure is highly misleading, because, until very recently, Wal-Mart had a zero-tolerance shoplifting policy to press charges for even the most minor of shoplifting crimes. (Kathy Jefcoats, “Woman shot in Wal-Mart lot awarded $4.2 million by jury”, Atlanta Journal-Constitution Aug. 10).
And here is a link to a news blurb about an incident from October 2015 where a man was shot in the parking of the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale...

"Man shot in Walmart parking lot" (October 2015)
Man shot in Walmart parking lot - WALB.com, South Georgia News, Weather, Sports

Quote:
RIVERDALE, GA (CBS46) -
Police are investigating a shooting that took place Saturday evening at a Walmart in the 7000 block of Highway 85 in*Riverdale.

Witnesses on the scene say the man ran to a nearby Dairy Queen to ask for help.

Officers tell CBS46 the male victim*has non-life-threatening injuries.

At this time, police say they do not have a motive and no arrest have been made.
But aside from that, I used to work and live in the area right up the road in the Clayton County part of unincorporated College Park and I used to frequently shop at the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale. I often found myself shopping at the Riverdale Walmart during darkness hours at and after midnight.

I remember shopping there all too well because that particular store used to shut down their cash registers at about midnight and keep dozens of people waiting in line for up to 20 minutes on some days while their registers went down at about midnight, so I am very familiar with the Riverdale area and the challenges that area can face.

I agree that the perception of crime in that area seems often to be worse than reality in many cases. But while the perception of crime in the area often seems to be worse than the actual occurrence of crime in many cases, crime is still from far being an unusual occurrence in the area in question.

The issue with the Riverdale Walmart seems to be poor management of the safety situation by a Riverdale city government which has at times struggled with focus, competence and consistency over the years.

When I lived/worked in the area back in the late 2000's, there were about 3-4 high-profile incidents of violent crime in the parking lot of the Riverdale Walmart, including a couple of kidnappings at gunpoint, a couple of shootings and about a couple of homicides.

The history and reputation of the Riverdale Walmart as a location where violent crime is not an unusual occurrence should not be used to paint the Riverdale area with a broad brush as a crime-ridden area, because that is not necessarily the case, particularly with crime being on the rise at Walmarts across the country as a whole because of Walmart's increased popularity as a place to shop over the first 17 years of the 21st Century.

One of the major problems with the Riverdale Walmart over the years seems to have been a failure of the Riverdale city government to pressure Walmart to hire extra security for a very high-profile retail location that has been known to attract criminal activity during its existence.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Quote:
Here's a link to a write-up talking about how a Georgia jury ordered Walmart to pay a woman $4.2 million after she was shot in the back during a carjacking in the parking lot of Walmart Supercenter back in 2001...

"Deep pocket files: Wal-Mart on $4.2 million hook for carjacking" (Overlawyered, August 10, 2006)

And here is a link to a news blurb about an incident from October 2015 where a man was shot in the parking of the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale...

But aside from that, I used to work and live in the area right up the road in the Clayton County part of unincorporated College Park and I used to frequently shop at the Walmart Supercenter in Riverdale. I often found myself shopping at the Riverdale Walmart during darkness hours at and after midnight.

I remember shopping there all too well because that particular store used to shut down their cash registers at about midnight and keep dozens of people waiting in line for up to 20 minutes on some days while their registers went down at about midnight, so I am very familiar with the Riverdale area and the challenges that area can face.

I agree that the perception of crime in that area seems often to be worse than reality in many cases. But while the perception of crime in the area often seems to be worse than the actual occurrence of crime in many cases, crime is still from far being an unusual occurrence in the area in question.

The issue with the Riverdale Walmart seems to be poor management of the safety situation by a Riverdale city government which has at times struggled with focus, competence and consistency over the years.

When I lived/worked in the area back in the late 2000's, there were about 3-4 high-profile incidents of violent crime in the parking lot of the Riverdale Walmart, including a couple of kidnappings at gunpoint, a couple of shootings and about a couple of homicides.

The history and reputation of the Riverdale Walmart as a location where violent crime is not an unusual occurrence should not be used to paint the Riverdale area with a broad brush as a crime-ridden area, because that is not necessarily the case, particularly with crime being on the rise at Walmarts across the country as a whole because of Walmart's increased popularity as a place to shop over the first 17 years of the 21st Century.

One of the major problems with the Riverdale Walmart over the years seems to have been a failure of the Riverdale city government to pressure Walmart to hire extra security for a very high-profile retail location that has been known to attract criminal activity during its existence.
But where is the data that this "has been known to be one of the more active Walmart stores in the entire nation when it comes to incidents of violent crime?"

Old 01-18-2017, 08:16 AM

197 posts, read 183,990 times
Murder-Mart rolls off the tongue.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:22 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:

^^ This is what's called coming through with receipts.

Very rare on C-D nowadays. +1 for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta