Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You are probably right, depending on how gung ho they get with the design.
It's Candler Park, Inman Park, Poncey-Highland; you can bet they want a 'gun ho' design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
I love the bridge. Is it useful? Somewhat, as a crosswalk could probably do the same thing...But is it cool? Yes. Cities only do well when they have tons of unique touches to make people remember them. A pretty and highly stylized bridge is one such touch. Atlanta doesn't have to be totally utilitarian - there are some posters here who think every single thing the city builds needs to be entirely about function over form. You're like the strict parents telling their daughter she doesn't need the pretty new pink jacket because her old brown jacket still keeps her warm - can't she just have pretty things sometimes?

These same posters likely would have been against the Space Needle in Seattle as an example, yet it's now iconic part of the skyline.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I love the bridge. Is it useful? Somewhat, as a crosswalk could probably do the same thing...But is it cool? Yes. Cities only do well when they have tons of unique touches to make people remember them. A pretty and highly stylized bridge is one such touch. Atlanta doesn't have to be totally utilitarian - there are some posters here who think every single thing the city builds needs to be entirely about function over form. You're like the strict parents telling their daughter she doesn't need the pretty new pink jacket because her old brown jacket still keeps her warm - can't she just have pretty things sometimes?

These same posters likely would have been against the Space Needle in Seattle as an example, yet it's now iconic part of the skyline.
The Space Needle was not funded by public tax revenue and was built privately.
Quote:
The proposed Space Needle had no land on which to be built. Since it was not financed by the city, land had to be purchased that was within the fairgrounds. The investors thought that there would be no land available to build a tower and the search for a site was nearly dead when, in 1961, they discovered a plot, 120 by 120 ft (37 by 37 m), containing switching equipment for the fire and police alarm systems. The land sold for $75,000. At this point, only one year remained before the World's Fair would begin. It was privately built and financed by the Pentagram Corporation, which consisted of Bagley Wright, contractor Howard S. Wright, architect John Graham, Ned Skinner, and Norton Clapp. In 1977 Bagley, Skinner and Clapp sold their interest to Howard Wright who now controls it under the name of Space Needle Corporation.[17]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Needle#History
I support this bridge, if it is funded thru grants, private donations, crowd sourcing, anything but using what little infrastructure money we have in Atlanta.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
I don't understand why people act willfully ignorant just for the sake of an argument. It looks dumb. Unless you think people should climb over the third rail to get up onto the platform, yes it's necessary.

Why are you so eager to prove that folks oppose these bridges as a conspiracy to inconvenience your drive?
I already explained how you get across the tracks without a bridge.

CQ does oppose these bridges for the reason you state. I wouldn't describe it as a conspiracy, but inconveniencing drivers as a way of teaching them to respect pedestrians and cyclists is the MO of CQ and others.

And, for the record, my commute is on foot most of the time, so my own convenience is not a factor in this discussion.

That's three strikes in one post. You're out.

Last edited by JPD; 01-18-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I already explained how you get across the tracks without a bridge.

CQ does oppose these bridges for the reason you state. I wouldn't describe it as a conspiracy, but inconveniencing drivers as a way of teaching them to respect pedestrians and cyclists is the MO of CQ and others.

And, for the record, my commute is on foot most of the time, so my own convenience is not a factor in this discussion.

That's three strikes in one post. You're out.
I do not want to punish drivers, as I am one occasionally, but this is a non-grade separated roadway and therefore all modes of transportation share it and safely.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I do not want to punish drivers, as I am one occasionally, but this is a non-grade separated roadway and therefore all modes of transportation share it and safely.
I know you don't want to. I don't want to go to work, but I do, because it's how I fund my life. Similarly, you don't want to inconvenience drivers, but you do, because you think that's the one of the ways to achieve your agenda.

An agenda I agree with and support, by the way. I just don't always agree with your methods.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I know you don't want to. I don't want to go to work, but I do, because it's how I fund my life. Similarly, you don't want to inconvenience drivers, but you do, because you think that's the one of the ways to achieve your agenda.

An agenda I agree with and support, by the way. I just don't always agree with your methods.
The only agenda I have is safety of all transportation modes and not developing our built environment for only one. When I ride my bike I respect all traffic control devices and ride to the right as PRACTICAL.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM

937 posts, read 926,748 times
I only hate them when they're used a political hubris.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The only agenda I have is safety of all transportation modes and not developing our built environment for only one. When I ride my bike I respect all traffic control devices and ride to the right as PRACTICAL.
So if you're for more safety, then why do you not like something that drastically improves both safety and speed?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So if you're for more safety, then why do you not like something that drastically improves both safety and speed?
Because of that word, for vehicles. You will average speeds on this road increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta