Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. Most, if not all, of the slave rebellions and insurrections were lead by Christians who found inspiration in scripture, specifically the Exodus story. Black liberation theology was formulated to explicitly counter the Western White Protestant narrative that sought to justify slavery and oppression within a biblical context.
The ones in the US were Christian lead, but the Haitian slave revolt was very much not. And that was the one of the only ones to fully succeed in the New World. Ive always found that interesting. I could be wrong on this but the French practiced a different type of chattel slavery in that they really didn't try to indoctrinate their captives with anything, they felt it was easier to just work them to death and then replace them with fresh feet and hands from the middle passage. Because of that the Haitians still held onto their Yoruba and other West African religious beliefs, which I think played a huge part in them successfully winning their freedom. Being able to tap into your history is huge, it plays a tremendous role in self pride. And agree with Voudun or not, I really think that helped them tap into something spiritually that people like Nat Turner and others weren't able to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
The older I get the more strongly I agree with this statement. To each his/her own. I respect anyone's right to worship as they please. But I would delight me to see mass black exodus from the Christian faith in this country.
It's already happening amongst people in my age range. I've tried to stay out of this thread, as to not ruffle any feathers, but what @PrimalTech said is me to a T. I see you're not from here, but there is a very big Ifa movement here in Atlanta among folks my age. A lot of us of are rejecting the old views of religion in our community and trying to find our own way. I don't have all the answers, but what I am sure of is that Christianity is not the answer for my people. I'm not taking part in a religion that brain washed my ancestors, and continues to this day to suck my community dry. I refuse to do it. If a person wants to do it on their own free time more power to them. But I will continue to look for answers elsewhere

Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Yeah, harassment. We used the word "bully" when I was a kid in the 80's. Just sounds weird to me when adults use it.

Used? I believe that adults still use the word today. i would say harass if someone is on the same level as me but you are a bully if you pick on someone weaker, smaller, less powerful, etc., than you. You do these things becuaee you are a coward and would not pick on someone on your level.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Most? That's hard to say but many did, including Nat Turner, Denmark Vesey, Martin Prosser, etc.

http://www.history.com/topics/black-...ave-rebellions

Except it's not the same...at all. It's just the parroting of the same tired lines that reflect a lack of in-depth study and critical thinking.
We all have our own experiences but I am certain that most churches use fear to manipulate their church members. It is brilliant actuslly. Our media does the same and is able to manipulate people into supporting wars, hatred against certain groups of people, etc.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
The ones in the US were Christian lead, but the Haitian slave revolt was very much not. And that was the one of the only ones to fully succeed in the New World. Ive always found that interesting. I could be wrong on this but the French practiced a different type of chattel slavery in that they really didn't try to indoctrinate their captives with anything, they felt it was easier to just work them to death and then replace them with fresh feet and hands from the middle passage. Because of that the Haitians still held onto their Yoruba and other West African religious beliefs, which I think played a huge part in them successfully winning their freedom. Being able to tap into your history is huge, it plays a tremendous role in self pride. And agree with Voudun or not, I really think that helped them tap into something spiritually that people like Nat Turner and others weren't able to do

Good point.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
It's already happening amongst people in my age range. I've tried to stay out of this thread, as to not ruffle any feathers, but what @PrimalTech said is me to a T. I see you're not from here, but there is a very big Ifa movement here in Atlanta among folks my age. A lot of us of are rejecting the old views of religion in our community and trying to find our own way. I don't have all the answers, but what I am sure of is that Christianity is not the answer for my people. I'm not taking part in a religion that brain washed my ancestors, and continues to this day to suck my community dry. I refuse to do it. If a person wants to do it on their own free time more power to them. But I will continue to look for answers elsewhere

This is inspiring. I love seeing black people be free from the shackles of Christianity. i love seeing all ethnicities actually but lets be real...it is rare for me to see a black atheist. But hhey are out thrre. I have met some and they are so cool. They were the people I was talking about that are accepting of all races/ethnicities, both geners are treatrd equally, people who are gay, etc. People think atheists worship the drvil and are mean, evil. I say err...they dont believe in 'god' why would they believe in the 'devil?' Haha. They are so down-to-earth and positive. They are also quite educated., which is a breath of fresh air b after being around so many small brained people.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Well obviously I was talking about slave revolts in the U.S., but there were some outside of the U.S. that were also inspired by Christianity; the Christmas Rebellion in Jamaica comes to mind. As far as the Haitian Revolution goes, I've not seen any evidence that there was a spiritual motivation behind that. However, what helped is that a large chunk of the slaves in Haiti were from the same region in Africa so communication and culture were largely the same; that helps to get everyone on the same page.

Rebellions in the U.S. didn't succeed for many reasons, but spirituality has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:24 AM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
While they don't call themselves Christian, there are Israelite groups that also use the Bible. So, even those that use the Bible don't necessarily identify as Christians.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Well obviously I was talking about slave revolts in the U.S., but there were some outside of the U.S. that were also inspired by Christianity; the Christmas Rebellion in Jamaica comes to mind. As far as the Haitian Revolution goes, I've not seen any evidence that there was a spiritual motivation behind that. However, what helped is that a large chunk of the slaves in Haiti were from the same region in Africa so communication and culture were largely the same; that helps to get everyone on the same page.

Rebellions in the U.S. didn't succeed for many reasons, but spirituality has nothing to do with it.
Ive seen loads of evidence that the Haitian Revolution was very much started by a spiritual movement. The impetus that gathered all the leaders of the movement together was spearheaded by escaped slaves who had been living in the mountains, and who were very much into Voudun. They organized meetings in the woods in order to get their plans together, and the meeting itself was very much a Voudun ceremony. What exactly they did depends on the account, some accounts say they prayed to deities and other more graphic accounts say they kidnapped and sacrificed some of the children of local plantation owners. Either way the meeting, which was called the Bois Caimon was a spiritual ceremony that is very much attributed to the start of Haitian Revolution. I've heard this from the mouth of a local Haitian historian himself and I've also read many accounts of Bois Caimon in books and online. It's not hard to find.

And a large chunk of Haitians where not all from the same region. Africa is not monolithic as you know and the French got slaves from Congo to Senegal. That's a lot of area to cover and it included many different tribes and kingdoms and they did not all share the same language. The French also imported slaves to Haiti from as far away as Madagascar, and they even often traded slaves with the Spanish who had a colony on the other side of Hispaniola, and the Spanish got their slaves from different areas than the French did like Guinea and Ghana. So again, there was not some shared language that bought them all together. The one thing that they did share though was their West African religions.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one because in my eyes I've always equated the Haitian slaves keeping their spirituality grounded in what was truly theirs playing a huge role in them defeating the French, Spanish and the British. I don't care how much white people try to gloss over the Haitian revolution or twist it into something evil when if anything they were freeing themselves from decades and almost centuries of evil and beyond in humane treatment. Slavery as a whole was f*****d up, but when it came to slavery the French made the English look like saints in how they treated their slaves. For a band of captives and kidnapped Africans and Afro- Haitians to defeat not only the French Colonial Empite but also the British and then again the Napoleon French Empire is HUGE in my eyes. I think a lot of Americans don't even realize that this country would have never really even been what it is now without that revolt in Haiti. Napoleon was very much in the process of turning the western bank of the Mississippi River into major French colony, but his army got thrashed so bad in Haiti that he had no choice but to move his troops from the Orleans Territory (Known as the Louisiana purchase to us Americans) and he eventually ended up selling to the US for pennies on the dollar. Had that revolt in Haiti never happened, almost 1/3 of the states in the US very well could have been French speaking colonies even up to today.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:52 PM

[quote=oldschoolChevy;46966217]Ive seen loads of evidence that the Haitian Revolution was very much started by a spiritual movement. The impetus that gathered all the leaders of the movement together was spearheaded by escaped slaves who had been living in the mountains, and who were very much into Voudun. They organized meetings in the woods in order to get their plans together, and the meeting itself was very much a Voudun ceremony. What exactly they did depends on the account, some accounts say they prayed to deities and other more graphic accounts say they kidnapped and sacrificed some of the children of local plantation owners. Either way the meeting, which was called the Bois Caimon was a spiritual ceremony that is very much attributed to the start of Haitian Revolution. I've heard this from the mouth of a local Haitian historian himself and I've also read many accounts of Bois Caimon in books and online. It's not hard to find.

And a large chunk of Haitians where not all from the same region. Africa is not monolithic as you know and the French got slaves from Congo to Senegal. That's a lot of area to cover and it included many different tribes and kingdoms and they did not all share the same language. The French also imported slaves to Haiti from as far away as Madagascar, and they even often traded slaves with the Spanish who had a colony on the other side of Hispaniola, and the Spanish got their slaves from different areas than the French did like Guinea and Ghana. So again, there was not some shared language that bought them all together. The one thing that they did share though was their West African religions.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one because in my eyes I've always equated the Haitian slaves keeping their spirituality grounded in what was truly theirs playing a huge role in them defeating the French, Spanish and the British. I don't care how much white people try to gloss over the Haitian revolution or twist it into something evil when if anything they were freeing themselves from decades and almost centuries of evil and beyond in humane treatment. Slavery as a whole was f*****d up, but when it came to slavery the French made the English look like saints in how they treated their slaves. For a band of captives and kidnapped Africans and Afro- Haitians to defeat not only the French Colonial Empite but also the British and then again the Napoleon French Empire is HUGE in my eyes. I think a lot of Americans don't even realize that this country would have never really even been what it is now without that revolt in Haiti. Napoleon was very much in the process of turning the western bank of the Mississippi River into major French colony, but his army got thrashed so bad in Haiti that he had no choice but to move his troops from the Orleans Territory (Known as the Louisiana purchase to us Americans) and he eventually ended up selling to the US for pennies on the dollar. Had that revolt in Haiti never happened, almost 1/3 of the states in the US very well could have been French speaking colonies even up to

Well said. A lot of people would disagree because historically and presently Voudun is demonized because Christianity of course must be uplifted and be the one and only. People love to trash Africa on a whole. Really sad and you are right, not as monolithic as most tend to think. It goes to show how uneducated people are towards the rest of the world, especially Africa. I want to add tl your last paragraph in the next post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta