Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:37 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Everyone is equal as humans. We're criticizing religion, especially the fundamentalist variety. As we should. A religion isn't a person or a people, it's an idea. And it should be allowed to be criticized. Especially when it's causing great harm.

The hypocrisy and arrogance of statements like the one above ("as we should") is what's driving the division in this country to the extreme levels right now. Billions of people all around the world (the vast majority) embrace faith in a higher power as a way of life. Not believing in a God (or whatever) does NOT make one person RIGHT any more than it makes those who do WRONG, and vice versa. Each person's journey is their own. Ridiculing others for what they believe doesn't change minds -- it makes enemies.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-16-2017 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I always think a lot the hate for Bishop Long is coming because he was BLACK. If he was a white preacher who did the same things many of the white gays on this forum would be less harsh with their fonts. Just pointing out what I see here. Double standards in deed. Its no wonder its two separate Pride festivals in Atlanta. People claim they are All 4 1 and 1 4 All, sadly race still matters.
Uh ... NO! Nice try playing the race card on MLK Day though. Classy.

The most hated and despised anti-gay "preachers" in America are those a-holes at Westboro "Baptist" (sic) -- and they are WHITE.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:25 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,823,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... NO! Nice try playing the race card on MLK Day though. Classy.

The most hated and despised anti-gay "preachers" in America are those a-holes at Westboro "Baptist" (sic) -- and they are WHITE.
Tell it!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:01 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,170,791 times
Quote:
Ridiculing others for what they believe doesn't change minds -- it makes enemies.
That certainly was not my intention. I'm fine with whatever you want to believe. I'm struggling with my own belief, honestly. In that I was an atheist for years and now recently I'm in a process of reconsidering that.

With that said, religion should be criticized, just like everything should be criticized. It shouldn't get a free pass, it shouldn't be above judgment. Especially when it's inspiring things like people marching through the streets to spread hate and homophobia. Let the Bible be a source of positive inspiration for Christians, not an excuse to be an a-hole (like it so often is.) And we should always call out hypocrites, as this man Long was.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That certainly was not my intention. I'm fine with whatever you want to believe. I'm struggling with my own belief, honestly. In that I was an atheist for years and now recently I'm in a process of reconsidering that.

With that said, religion should be criticized, just like everything should be criticized. It shouldn't get a free pass, it shouldn't be above judgment. Especially when it's inspiring things like people marching through the streets to spread hate and homophobia. Let the Bible be a source of positive inspiration for Christians, not an excuse to be an a-hole (like it so often is.) And we should always call out hypocrites, as this man Long was.

I think the word you should be using is "question" -- NOT "criticize." To criticize something you've already reached a predetermined conclusion. At any rate, the problem is that we don't simply question religions or ideologies or whatever. We end up judging and criticizing and hating the PEOPLE ... and that's going to destroy us.

The founders of this country knew that polar opposite opinions about how things could and should be done was inevitable, which is why they set up the three branches of government and system of checks and balances. But they also shared a common desire to do what's ultimately good for the country no matter their differences, and to treat each other with the respect and dignity that it demands. In our current political climate, we've completely lost sight of that. It is literally poisoning every aspect of our lives.

Last edited by Newsboy; 01-16-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,329,308 times
Quote:
Standing up against slavery...was that intolerant? YES
Standing up against gender discrimination....is that intolerant? YES
Being intolerant is OK, depending on who you ask. That still doesnt change the definition of the word. People want their way to be the way. Both Slavery and Gender Discrimination still exist, so you are not saying much here.

Had I known it was the definition you were referring to all along, probably wouldn't have responded. Slavery and gender discrimination do exist still, yes. Being intolerant of slavery and gender discrimination is okay but wanting to tolerate it is wrong. There is still right and wrong and the definition of a word doesn't change that.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:50 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,475,082 times
Quote:

Ridiculing others for what they believe doesn't change minds -- it makes enemies.
Newboys, this post right here is exactly why I voted for Trump, when originally I wasnt going to vote at all this election. People made themselves my enemy by ridiculing others for what they believe. People dont know how to respectful disagree without calling names and personal attacks. When I see that sort of bullying I always go on the side of the least loudest.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:21 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,475,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Had I known it was the definition you were referring to all along, probably wouldn't have responded. Slavery and gender discrimination do exist still, yes. Being intolerant of slavery and gender discrimination is okay but wanting to tolerate it is wrong. There is still right and wrong and the definition of a word doesn't change that.
Slavery and Gender discrimination is wrong. Racism, prejudice, classicism, religious discrimination, age discrimination and teasing people for not having a formal education are ALL Wrong. Yet many in American society still do these things. The thing no one wants to admit is how selfish we all are. They want their own way without considering everyone else feelings and thoughts on a matter. No one likes to be FORCED to change, it has to happen gradually. For many groups on an opposite spectrum a sharp change will always be meet with opposition. This applies to both of your examples of Slavery and Gender discrimination.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Newboys, this post right here is exactly why I voted for Trump, when originally I wasnt going to vote at all this election. People made themselves my enemy by ridiculing others for what they believe. People dont know how to respectful disagree without calling names and personal attacks. When I see that sort of bullying I always go on the side of the least loudest.

I am very confused as to why you would vote for someone who discriminates against people because of their religion. He said he wants to ban muslims from entering the country. You just got finished saying you are against those who attack others' relions. He also ridiculed a reporter who has a disability.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Slavery and Gender discrimination is wrong. Racism, prejudice, classicism, religious discrimination, age discrimination and teasing people for not having a formal education are ALL Wrong. Yet many in American society still do these things. The thing no one wants to admit is how selfish we all are. They want their own way without considering everyone else feelings and thoughts on a matter. No one likes to be FORCED to change, it has to happen gradually. For many groups on an opposite spectrum a sharp change will always be meet with opposition. This applies to both of your examples of Slavery and Gender discrimination.

People don't like to admit their selfishness, you are right. I have noticed this when it comes to health care,education,etc. I ought to share that I used to be christian and I tell you that they are some of the most selfish people I have ever met. They also try to force change (on things that have no effect on them whatsoever) by influence through ads, film, politics (where is the separation between religion and state?), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta