Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 AM

22 posts, read 146,841 times

Advertisements

Hi Im considering moving to Atlanta GA, upon leaving Virginia Beach, Virginia I am 20 years old and graduating from VCU Virginia COmmonwealth University in downtown Richmond.. I am use to both city-and surburban living.. I love Virginia but the pay doesnt really meet the living.. I want to try Atlanta is it safe? Is it as fun and exciting like they show?

I have visited there before with my friend Tyeshia she is black and her family lives there I had a blast the clubs were fun like Im use to and the concerts were too.. I didnt feel that safe though as I do back home in Virginia

so what is it about ATlanta that makes it so great? and is it near a beach? I didnt see one last time I was outthere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 AM

88 posts, read 413,314 times
i lived in atlanta 35 years, moved away 4 years ago. it use to be "safe" but crime is rising along with the population and the traffic. i owned a home in buckhead, peachtree hills to be exact. a lovely neighborhood, walk to peachtree battle shopping center. but the traffic was a nightmare. just to get anywhere you either had to get on peachtree street or piedmont. our house was broken into twice and it was not safe to walk the dogs after dark. other than that i love atlanta. it's a young peoples city with a lot going on. good music, fun bars, a lot of diversity, excellent restaurants and still holds some southern charm. but i would not classify the city of atlanta as being safe.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
I have lived all around the country, and Virginia Beach was my absolute favorite place to be hands down. If you're looking for weather, culture, good mix of family and single friendly entertainment .. day trips close by .. and relatively low cost of living for what you get, Virginia Beach is hard to beat. It's an awesome place. Being a native, you might not appreciate just what you have until you leave there. If you think it's hard to get established there, you'll find it harder to move back when you're in your early 30s, have young kids and are established somewhere else.

Ok, that said (had to get a plug in for a great part of the country), I'm in the Atlanta area now. I live in the suburbs, work close in and have spent many weekends in the hot spots you're likely to visit and mingle in as a young single. My take on Atlanta is that it's "ok". Atlanta is not nearly as safe as Virginia Beach. (I used to walk Atlantic Ave at 2 a.m. all the time.. wouldn't do that here.) However, if you exercise some common sense, you should be fine here. As a recent grad, money is likely to be a factor, but live somewhere with a room mate so you can be somewhere relatively high rent. Go have fun in VaHi and Little 5 but do it in a group, etc.

No beach .. four hours is not close to me, but I've seen some cite Atlanta as being *close* to water because the beach is a day trip away. Another thing to note about Atlanta, it has a lot of things to do, but you have to pay to do them. Unlike Virginia Beach or many other cities / large towns around the country, Atlanta doesn't really have anything to do that's fun when you're broke. It doesn't cost anything to go hang out on Atlantic Ave. There's really nothing like that here. (If there is, and I just haven't discovered it, someone clue me in.)

One more thing, and this might be sticky, but race relations in Atlanta are different than they are in the Hampton Roads area. I'm white, but I have a black friend who is from Virginia Beach, and she's often tripped out that wherever she goes here it's either "white" or "black". She's not used to being in an environment where there are no white, or non black, people anywhere. She's the kind of person who likes a mixed crowd, and she has a hard time finding that here. One more plug for Virginia, I thought race relations were better there than anywhere else I've lived.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave. In fact, the more I think about it the more I want to go back. (Atlanta isn't a hell hole though.. it's jut not Virginia).

Old 03-01-2008, 12:01 PM

22 posts, read 146,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I have lived all around the country, and Virginia Beach was my absolute favorite place to be hands down. If you're looking for weather, culture, good mix of family and single friendly entertainment .. day trips close by .. and relatively low cost of living for what you get, Virginia Beach is hard to beat. It's an awesome place. Being a native, you might not appreciate just what you have until you leave there. If you think it's hard to get established there, you'll find it harder to move back when you're in your early 30s, have young kids and are established somewhere else.

Ok, that said (had to get a plug in for a great part of the country), I'm in the Atlanta area now. I live in the suburbs, work close in and have spent many weekends in the hot spots you're likely to visit and mingle in as a young single. My take on Atlanta is that it's "ok". Atlanta is not nearly as safe as Virginia Beach. (I used to walk Atlantic Ave at 2 a.m. all the time.. wouldn't do that here.) However, if you exercise some common sense, you should be fine here. As a recent grad, money is likely to be a factor, but live somewhere with a room mate so you can be somewhere relatively high rent. Go have fun in VaHi and Little 5 but do it in a group, etc.

No beach .. four hours is not close to me, but I've seen some cite Atlanta as being *close* to water because the beach is a day trip away. Another thing to note about Atlanta, it has a lot of things to do, but you have to pay to do them. Unlike Virginia Beach or many other cities / large towns around the country, Atlanta doesn't really have anything to do that's fun when you're broke. It doesn't cost anything to go hang out on Atlantic Ave. There's really nothing like that here. (If there is, and I just haven't discovered it, someone clue me in.)

One more thing, and this might be sticky, but race relations in Atlanta are different than they are in the Hampton Roads area. I'm white, but I have a black friend who is from Virginia Beach, and she's often tripped out that wherever she goes here it's either "white" or "black". She's not used to being in an environment where there are no white, or non black, people anywhere. She's the kind of person who likes a mixed crowd, and she has a hard time finding that here. One more plug for Virginia, I thought race relations were better there than anywhere else I've lived.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave. In fact, the more I think about it the more I want to go back. (Atlanta isn't a hell hole though.. it's jut not Virginia).

Yeah its REALLY diverse here and its nothing to see interaccial couples and families I lived in cox section of Virginia Beach (the Beverly Hills) they call it and I loved it but the good thing about Virginia Beach is that I can go up the street and find friends of different cultures and backgrounds and Ican shop and go where I want anytime of night safety is good here!! Atlanta isnt as safe as Virginia Beach but attending college in Richmond is waaaay worse than ATlanta I go to VCU and soon be graduating looking for new places and towns to settle I know I appreciate the location and area of Virginia Beach ...I just know that I want to try somewhere different even though Richmondi s 2 1/2 hours away from Virgnia Beach I still got homesick like you said its going to be hard to place.. WOW the weather is warmer in Georgia.. Which I like but Virginia Beach weather is amazing sunny rainy cloudy snowy icy lovley all in one week lol I mean I do get all four seasons here Georgia is faar from the beach considering living less than 7 minutes from the ocean front I really dont know

The only complaint about Virginia Beach really is the pay rates and transportation system I have a car but a lot of people from NY/NJ are sued to public transportation which is somethign lacked here in Hamptonroads

A RAIL transit is needed!!! traffic is too much ! and were surrounded by water which I always love the fact like being on an island! lol but I mean a new scene a new area and HOTLANTA is all I hear about so thats why I am considering ATLanta

Old 03-01-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 27,397 times
Thumbs up Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgal View Post
Hi Im considering moving to Atlanta GA, upon leaving Virginia Beach, Virginia I am 20 years old and graduating from VCU Virginia COmmonwealth University in downtown Richmond.. I am use to both city-and surburban living.. I love Virginia but the pay doesnt really meet the living.. I want to try Atlanta is it safe? Is it as fun and exciting like they show?

I have visited there before with my friend Tyeshia she is black and her family lives there I had a blast the clubs were fun like Im use to and the concerts were too.. I didnt feel that safe though as I do back home in Virginia

so what is it about ATlanta that makes it so great? and is it near a beach? I didnt see one last time I was outthere
I went there for a 5day field trip, I LOVED ALL OF IT.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
The Atlanta City limits inclusive of downtown of course, stands at a 475k population total. Of city of <500K in America, Atlanta ranks as the #2 most dangerous right after #1 Camden NJ.
Overall the metro area also ranks in the top 10.

To be frank, Atlanta is a traffic nightmare with a downtown of dreary, drab streets offering multiple panhandling opportunities at each corner.

Can it be fun? Yes of course, but you must be aware of your surroundings at all times. Atlanta could be the jewel of all American cities if the local population would cease in electing God awful leadership over and over again to run the city. If we had a Jim Daily (Chicago) or a Rudy (NYC) to come in and clean the place up it would be an outstanding location.

Maybe with a little luck we can garner Clark Howard in 2009, he has a good business savy head on his shoulders and he "loves" Atlanta. In other words if your city leadership "loves" the city more than their personal agenda's, then you will have a great city. We are still waiting here

Old 03-01-2008, 05:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Vabeachgal, I keep racking my brain to find some reason to recommend Atlanta to you since you seem kind of set on it, but it's hard for me to do it. For me, Atlanta is the perfect place for someone my age (early 30s) who is married and has kids or kids on the way. I didn't think much of A-town or Hotlanta or whatever until I stared house shopping. After that, I was like .. oh, now I get it. You can really get an outstanding house here for far less than what you're used to somewhere else. The economy out here is also good. Those are the major drawing points. For someone young, I just think you can do better. The major club scene out here was Buckhead when I first got to the area. I went there with my younger, single friends and had fun. Then, someone bought up the area the clubs were located and is now building a shopping mall there! That's sooo wrong IMO and soo Atlanta. If you're looking for good public transit, Atlanta really isn't your place either .. unless, you live directly in the city .. which kind of brings me to my point. Here's the only thing Atlanta can possibly offer you that you can't find in Virginia Beach... more urban setting. And this only works if you live at ground zero. Don't move to the Atlanta suburbs. That would be absolutely pointless and a waste of your 20s. Yes, the crime rate is higher, but there are some neighborhoods that are relatively safe. Find a roommate or rent out someone's in-law suite or basement apartment in the Virginia Highlands or Little Five nieghborhoods. I still think you can do better if your only criteria is to be within a 600-mile radius of Virginia Beach, and you're looking for somewhere with a lower cost of living... but, you could probably do worse than Atlanta too. The nice thing about Atlanta is that if you stick around and buy a house, you'll get something good for your money.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 AM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
To the poster I have lived in the ATL metro, Hampton Roads and Richmond VA within my 20s in the past 7 years. I will try to address this topic based on some of the concerns you mentioned.

Pay Rate
The overall pay in the ATL may seem higher than Richmond or Hampton Roads but the number of professionsals in ATL outnumber both of those other metro areas. I think you are really going to have to take this down to particular field you are in and the years or experience (or educational background and/or network). I think you will find the overall starting salary or basic entry level positions will no be drastically different from Atlanta to Richmond and the two being just slightly higher than Hampton Roads.

Cost of Living
I would say HR would be the cheapest of all followed by Atlanta (suburbs) and then Richmond. Richmond is very expensive as a renter or homeowner. Prices have not leveled in this area and RIC is growing vastly.

Entertainment
RIC/HR and within driving distance to both DC and Raleigh, NC and they have their own respective venues too. Bottom line, there is likely more to do in ATL but prepared to bring your wallet to the table. I think both RIC and Hampton Roads have more accessible free events than ATL. As far as a night scene, this is not my best area to judge because I am more laid back. I would give DC the upper hand on "things to do" (again within driving distance of RIC).

Quality of Living and Safety
We all know the ATL statistics. To be honest I have been a victim or theft, car vandalism, and a car accident in about 9 months in Richmond - never had such a situation in ATL. I also lived in a "sketchy" area over there compared to Richmond. I think Mechanicsville/Hanover Co was voted as one of the best places to live in America. RIC is very nice but they have a lot of work to do. Right now the cost of living doens't not justify overall amentiies in the area. Salaries are good but not on par with the growth of the city. I really love Hampton Roads, access to jobs was the reason I did not stay after graduation a few years ago. Had I had a connection there, I would have likely never left. My choice to live in ATL in my 20s was really due to overal quality (job growth potential, I prefer the south, I enjoy the amenties and living near an international airport, and I can transfer in and out via my job as pleased). However I hate the traffic; worse I have seen in my life!!!!!!!!!!

So, I do not think ATL is the "best" choice for any young person looking to get a fresh start. If you are not "well to do", the start could be hard. This city is really a place were having a 2-income household is almost required. My opinion should not thrawt you but keep into consideration. Maybe see if you can relocate with a friend or family member. It's good to have a shoulder to lean on. Its a good city but plan accordingly.

If you consider ATL put NOVA/DC in the mix. You know the area and would still be close to home....

Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 153,122 times
It's safer than most of the people on this thread think it is. There are a lot of black people here so a lot of people feel uncomfortable, but it isn't that bad. Lots of stuff to do too. I love this city.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:44 PM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3219 View Post
It's safer than most of the people on this thread think it is. There are a lot of black people here so a lot of people feel uncomfortable, but it isn't that bad. Lots of stuff to do too. I love this city.
It all depends where you are and how you interpret meaning of being safe. If you are afraid of panhandling and regard it as being unsafe, city of Atlanta is not a safe place. If you want to walk in downtown during night time, you can see a lot of police scattered over in the area and you can be sure it's safe. A city, like Atlanta, has to be safe, or it will ruin its reputation, and no visitors will come to town. I can't say it's a hundred percent safe place, but it's safe enough for you to enjoy being in the city. You just need to know where is walkable and where is not. Do you think you can walk in the dark streets in suburbs during night time and feel safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta