Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:13 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,896,967 times

Advertisements

Well technically this job is over and I'm headed back to school tomorrow but for the past couple of weeks:
Origin: NW Snellville
Destination: N Sandy Springs (Northridge Rd)
Miles: Just under 30
Time: 40-45 minutes but that's leaving at 6 am and returning around 3 pm. No traffic is less than 40. 35 if I just hit every light green.
Tele: No
Free Pk: Yep. And covered
Bus: No
Train: No
Incentives: ??? Possibly

Not an awful commute, just have to wake up early. Involves 400, 285 and 85 so you can imagine the disaster.
Office is actually moving up to Alpharetta. I'd probably dislike that more. I rather crawl on the freeway than deal with red lights. BUT, parents are planning on selling the house this year so commute should get a lot better (my mom works here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,329,577 times
Working in the film/TV industry, my places of work and hours vary wildly. But here is my current main commute:

Origin city: "Upper Westside"
Destination city: Norcross area
Total # miles (to work): 20.5 miles
Total commute time (to work): Depending on time of day, 23 minutes to 40 minutes there; 23 minutes to 1.25 hours back. (The 1.25 hours is rare)
Telecommute options? N
Free parking? Y
Use bus? N
Use MARTA train? N
MARTA incentives (by your company) : N

In the past two years I have worked for extended periods in Midtown, Fayetteville, Union City, Griffin, Norcross, and south of Six Flags. So there really is no "choosing to live near work".

Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM

78 posts, read 81,335 times
Ok, ok, I have to ask some of you all this....how do you get such acceptable commute times? I always hear that Atlanta has terrible, terrible traffic, but outside of Primaltech and Samiwas1 (sorry for your suffering), many of your commutes are a blessing compared to mine! My current commute in the DC area averages 60 min-75 mins each way. I am so used to 1 hour+ commuting that anything less than 1 hour then I am grateful for.

So based on these number, I guess I'll be okay then when I move? I assume that renting a home (in Alpharetta, Duluth, Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs) would equal less than 1 hour commute to Atlanta (i.e. Suntrust HQ) ?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:49 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,197,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Dynamo X View Post
Ok, ok, I have to ask some of you all this....how do you get such acceptable commute times? I always hear that Atlanta has terrible, terrible traffic, but outside of Primaltech and Samiwas1 (sorry for your suffering), many of your commutes are a blessing compared to mine! My current commute in the DC area averages 60 min-75 mins each way. I am so used to 1 hour+ commuting that anything less than 1 hour then I am grateful for.

So based on these number, I guess I'll be okay then when I move? I assume that renting a home (in Alpharetta, Duluth, Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs) would equal less than 1 hour commute to Atlanta (i.e. Suntrust HQ) ?
Sandy Springs/Dunwoody is a better bet, because of proximity and because of MARTA. Alpharetta or Duluth to Downtown/Midtown Atlanta will take you easily an hour in the mornings, if not longer in the worst of it. And probably just as bad in the evenings.

If you have no ties to this area and you're going to be renting, why don't you just rent an apartment in the city, if you'll be working in the city?

If you want a nice/upscale area, look into Buckhead.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,197,848 times
I know if I hadn't bought my current home, I'd be renting in Midtown in a heartbeat once the job moves there. Probably within walking distance.

Anyone who is renting, can and should take advantage of that flexibility, and live near work. Or at least not far from work.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,825,401 times
Quote:
What is your daily commute like traveling within the Atlanta metro area ?
Do you receive any company perks such as Marta train incentives, telework, or free parking benefits? Or do you suffer through 5 straight days of traffic hell?
  1. Origin city: ?
  2. Destination city: ?
  3. Total # miles (to work): ?
  4. Total commute time (to work): ?
  5. Telecommute options? Y/N
  6. Free parking? Y/N
  7. Use bus? Y/N
  8. Use MARTA train? Y/N
  9. MARTA incentives (by your company) : Y/N

Overall, is it worth it or do you hate your commute??
1. Atlanta (Westview)
2. Atlanta (Grant Park)
3. 5.5 miles
4. Approximately 7 mins. (via car)
5. No
6. Yes
7. No
8. No
9. No

Actually, I rather enjoy my commute

Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM

163 posts, read 137,425 times
  1. Origin city: Decatur (North Druid Hills/Leafmore)
  2. Destination city: Emory campus
  3. Total # miles (to work): 2.5-3 miles
  4. Total commute time (to work): 30 min. total; MARTA bus (10min) + walk (10min) + Emory shuttle (10min)
  5. Telecommute options? N/A
  6. Free parking? No!
  7. Use bus? Yes (MARTA & Emory shuttle)
  8. Use MARTA train? No
  9. MARTA incentives (by your company) : Yes, Unlimited breeze pass
I love living so close to work, but the only thing that I was bummed about when I moved here in 2015 was that I couldn't safely bike to work. The speed/volume of the traffic and those hills on Clairmont Rd. terrify me!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,329,577 times
Quote:
Ok, ok, I have to ask some of you all this....how do you get such acceptable commute times? I always hear that Atlanta has terrible, terrible traffic, but outside of Primaltech and Samiwas1 (sorry for your suffering), many of your commutes are a blessing compared to mine!
Mine's rarely bad. The 60-75 minute commutes are only if we happen to wrap before 7:00pm, which is almost never. In the mornings, I enjoy listening to the morning show on my way in, so it doesn't usually bother me.

Most of my time on my morning commute is spent either at one intersection on Moore's Mill, or waiting for all the assclowns who think zipper-merging from all four lanes of 85 North onto 400 is a good idea.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:33 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,367,312 times
Origin city: Sandy Springs
Destination city: Sandy Springs
Total # miles (to work): 2.7 miles
Total commute time (to work): 5-8 min
Telecommute options? 1 day a week
Free parking? Yes
Use bus? No
Use MARTA train? I can if I walk/bike to North Springs
MARTA incentives (by your company): Yes

Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,313,110 times
Quote:

I'll say what I always say when people ask...Why purposefully rent a house as far from work as possible? Don't you want a work life balance and the ability to have some free time after work? A long commute can add 2 hours to a work day, that's 10 hours per week!

Find a rental as close as possible in a safe area. Try the east side of Atlanta like grant park, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta