Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:02 AM

149 posts, read 155,015 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
So we are now officially down to the wire in our year's long transition! We have submitted our application packets online, contacted a realtor and a mortgage banker and booked flights and a hotel for the Gwinnett County Schools Job fair in March. However, I want to make sure that even with our qualifications and the need in the region that we still have an optimal chance of gaining employment. Learning how quickly people in the area are to help (thank you all so much!) I just wanted to put this out there. Aside from the steps that have been taken, does anybody in the school system have any further suggestions, information or even positive connections with administrators that may be of some assistance to us. I'll be perpetually nervous and freaking out until we actually obtain employment, which probably won't be until March, so it's gonna be a rocky couple of months for my anxiety.

Either way,

Thanks again for all of your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Just curious....why are you limiting your search to Gwinnett county?

A while back, I looked into substitute teaching (don't ask why -- long story), and I looked at Gwinnett because I live here and I was like if I'm going to be paid diddly squat, I'm at least not going to commute far. The rate was terrible, ok, I figured as much....but I decided to look into Fulton as well since I'm on the border and could get to Northview about as quickly as I could get to Duluth High.

Guess what? Fulton county pays its substitutes a slightly less awful rate. So I'm guessing that may also translate to teacher salaries. If I were you, I'd also look into other nearby districts just to know for sure. I know Fulton has a bunch of terrible and awesome schools in its district while Gwinnett is more fairly distributed among excellent to pretty good schools. But wouldn't you know which school you were going to before accepting a job? I'd just submit to a few places so you can play musical offers and choose the best one.

Sorry, that didn't really answer your question, just a thought.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:00 AM

No worries. I've submitted to most counties in the metro area, but can really only afford to go to one job fair between costs and taking off of work, and we are planning on living in Lawrenceville so an emphasis is going to be put on Gwinnett. Realistically I'll work where I can find work though. I just really want to avoid Atlanta traffic as much as possible.

Thanks!

Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM

333 posts, read 388,361 times
Welcome to Metro Atlanta.

I substitute taught in Gwinnett County Public Schools while getting my business going and profitable. Yes, I do know a few school administrators. You'd do well to visit both the county website, read up on the individual schools at their websites and ask a few principals or APs for five minutes of their time over the phone. Unfortunately, sharing most of what I know about GCPS here would translate into a perceived rules violation and get this entire thread deleted or hidden for perfectly innocent responses. But you'll find the staffs to be quite helpful. Get them on your side and advertising on your behalf, and you will win.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:22 AM

Thanks much!
I'll be sure to take the time to call a each of the schools and get my name out there. I have a phone interview with the recruitment official on Tuesday which is more of a formality than anything, but at least it'll be a good foot in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta