Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:49 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,318,553 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My daughter is the youngest in class (because she just made the cut off) in NY. Not very excited about that, but she is doing well academically, average socially.

If we move to Atlanta (where the cutoff is even earlier) she will potentially have kids who are a year and 3 months older than her in her class, also this is a transition from 5th grade (elem) into middle school.

We have mixed feelings about keeping her in 5th again vs letting her get into middle school. Also, the schools here are supposedly better than where we currently are in NY.
If you have or know anyone who had to take such a decision when they moved in, can you please give us some feedback on what was the decision and how did that pan out ?

Appreciate the comments.

Note: I'll also post in appropriate education related thread, but I would like some local specific feedback that might help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,004,180 times
It will vary tremendously based on each individual child. Some don't care about being the youngest, for others it is crushing.

I assume you feel that she is intelligent enough to handle being ahead (that's the first step) and are wondering about how it will impact her socially. Valid question, but it's really one that only you can answer because her experience is singular and you'll hear arguments both ways.

The only insight I can offer is when it comes to being similar to your peers physically and emotionally, I think as a general rule, it's more important for boys than girls. I hope that doesn't sound sexist, I say that because boys have a tendency to bully peers that are smaller and weaker than they are much more than girls do. At ages 12-15, this becomes quite apparent.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM

528 posts, read 1,280,167 times
We moved from NY about 5 years ago. One of my daughters' birthdays is in January. She is turning 10 this year and probably half of her class is already 10. My other daughters' birthday is in June and she is turning 13 this year. I only know of 1 of her friends that is not already 13 and it's only January! IF we had lived here when she started school, I probably would have held my June baby back. I think a majority of people do. She is definitely more immature than most of her peers both physically and emotionally.

However, you are in a tough spot with the repeating 5th grade vs going into middle school. I think I would talk to both schools, show them your child's grades, think about how mature your child is and ask their opinions. You don't want your child to feel badly by having them repeat again but you need to make a decision on what is best for them. I had a friend how moved here from Ohio and she had her daughter repeat a grade (I think it was 2nd) when she got here and her birthday was in April but she felt like she wasn't strong academically. If you're going to do it, do it when they move. No one even has to know.

It's hard in middle school now because many of my daughters' friends are a whole year older and they are allowed to do things that I won't let my daughter do. If the NYS cutoff is still December 1, your child will definitely be one of the youngest in their grade. Tough decision.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 AM

2,239 posts, read 5,831,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It will vary tremendously based on each individual child. Some don't care about being the youngest, for others it is crushing.

I assume you feel that she is intelligent enough to handle being ahead (that's the first step) and are wondering about how it will impact her socially. Valid question, but it's really one that only you can answer because her experience is singular and you'll hear arguments both ways.

The only insight I can offer is when it comes to being similar to your peers physically and emotionally, I think as a general rule, it's more important for boys than girls. I hope that doesn't sound sexist, I say that because boys have a tendency to bully peers that are smaller and weaker than they are much more than girls do. At ages 12-15, this becomes quite apparent.
To argue the opposite side, though, there is evidence to show that later-developing girls have risks as well. If you look at girls in the seventh grade (I do this a lot right now b/c that's my daughter's current grade), they are all over the map in terms of physical development. Being small and undeveloped while most of your peers are ahead of you is not going to be easy socially speaking. If you are worried about her social success, I would personally advocate for keeping her back where she can be one of the older children and can be a leader. JMHO. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: