Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:56 PM

7 posts, read 4,186 times

Advertisements

I've searched this forum to find what I'm looking for, but to know avail yet. I'm looking to move in 8 months and I'm seriously considering Atlanta (San Antonio and Houston as well). I'm a 25 year old female moving by myself, but will be living with my boyfriend once he moves sometime shortly after I do. I definitely want to live ITP or as close as I can. I'm open to a house, duplex, townhouse, or condo (ordered from most desirable to least). Since it's a better deal I would like a 2 bedroom, not over $1200/month. I will have a car, but being close to public transportation is a plus because I would like to sell it if I could. I plan on working full time at an animal facility of some sort and then supplement my income with a part time serving job on the side. We like to ride bikes, check out good ethnic restaurants, go to the park, check out art, drink beer, go to live shows or dance at the club from time to time. Not gonna lie, I don't want my neighborhood to be a bunch of white people. I'm considering Atlanta because it's green, large, diverse, hot, and my boyfriend won't mind living there. I plan to visit in May for I have never even been there. What do I have to check out when I go there to get a true representation of Atlanta? Could this scenario have a chance of working? Anyone have knowledge of the animal field job market? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated <3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:01 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
I would try to land a job before moving as you don't have any family here. Or do you? Also, personally I would.not sell my car because how will yoi experience nightlife? The money you might spend on uber may add up to more than a car payment unless you hardly go out. I would look for the jobs first and then consider places near to where you work. That is usually a good place to start.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:07 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Where are you from

Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM

I'm from California. I would really love to have a job before I move, but it is very difficult to land something when you are from out of state. I have a lot of serving experience so that can hold me over until I find something I want to do full time. My plan is to secure an address then hit the ground running until I find something. I am saving up until my move date so I won't be SOL when I can't find a job in a month or months. Otherwise I would move right now. I would love to have people I know that live there, but unfortunately I don't. I don't want that to keep me from moving somewhere I could enjoy living in. Also, I will keep that in mind about the car. It'll be paid off so it sounds like I'm better off keeping it.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Read the Moving to Atlanta thread and follow those directions.

We need way more info like how much you want to make, your educational background, etc

Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM

I did. I thought I included everything it suggested in my post. Should I just post on that thread instead? It seemed kind of hard to keep track of who was responding to who.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:40 AM

Post it in here.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:51 AM

I have a bachelors in animal science. I have 3 years experience being a research assistant at the Kansas state university college of veterinary medicine. My mentor, a veterinarian is an assistant professor at GSU in Athens. I also have developmentally disabled caretaking experience, varied restaurant experience, and a lot of customer service experience. I would like to make $20,000 salary, but I could make due with less. Where I live next, I want to live for years. I want to establish myself where I find a job and work my way up eventually. What other information is pertinent?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM

38 posts, read 31,840 times
You can go wrong with East Atlanta

Old 01-20-2017, 05:05 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confoozed View Post
I have a bachelors in animal science. I have 3 years experience being a research assistant at the Kansas state university college of veterinary medicine. My mentor, a veterinarian is an assistant professor at GSU in Athens. I also have developmentally disabled caretaking experience, varied restaurant experience, and a lot of customer service experience. I would like to make $20,000 salary, but I could make due with less. Where I live next, I want to live for years. I want to establish myself where I find a job and work my way up eventually. What other information is pertinent?

Well I am glad you will be moving here with your boyfriend. It will be easie to.mKe it that way. What is the salary range for a...would it be a veterinary assistant? And do you know approximately what your boyfriend may earn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: