Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:34 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,687 times

Advertisements

As a friend and I were watching the game yesterday, he asked me why Atlanta is going to demolish the Dome and rebuild. Neither of us could remember how old it was. Is there any reason other than the desire for more seats? Isn't it going in the same place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
The new stadium is right next door to the Dome.
The main reason for the change is competition. If we want to continue vying for major events such as the Super Bowl or the World Cup, we need a state of the art venue.
The Dome was completed in 1992, BTW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Dome

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-23-2017 at 07:59 AM..

Old 01-23-2017, 07:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
The new stadium will have far fewer seats, but more luxury seats they can sell for a lot more money. I used to wonder why they were tearing down the GA Dome until I went for Monster Jam last year (don't judge me....Lol!) It really does have crummy seats, terrible food options, gross bathrooms, and is just a really kind of bad stadium experience. They realized it would never host another Super Bowl because people today prefer much nicer comfortable stadiums with high quality food and restaurants in them. Football really isn't a sport for the common man anymore, at least not in person....Ya gotta have money to go to games nowadays!

I think the Dome was built in 1993. It seats 80-something thousand people. The new stadium seats 50-something thousand. Even though I was against using taxpayer money to help fund the new stadium, I won't miss the GA Dome at all. It was as bland a stadium as you can imagine.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
As a friend and I were watching the game yesterday, he asked me why Atlanta is going to demolish the Dome and rebuild. Neither of us could remember how old it was. Is there any reason other than the desire for more seats? Isn't it going in the same place?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kwyHuIKThsw/maxresdefault.jpg

Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The new stadium will have far fewer seats, but more luxury seats they can sell for a lot more money. I used to wonder why they were tearing down the GA Dome until I went for Monster Jam last year (don't judge me....Lol!) It really does have crummy seats, terrible food options, gross bathrooms, and is just a really kind of bad stadium experience. They realized it would never host another Super Bowl because people today prefer much nicer comfortable stadiums with high quality food and restaurants in them. Football really isn't a sport for the common man anymore, at least not in person....Ya gotta have money to go to games nowadays!

I think the Dome was built in 1993. It seats 80-something thousand people. The new stadium seats 50-something thousand. Even though I was against using taxpayer money to help fund the new stadium, I won't miss the GA Dome at all. It was as bland a stadium as you can imagine.
MB Stadium will have flexible seating. There is a minimum seating capacity to host a SB.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 AM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
I was a season ticket holder for 5 years, and attended a few regular season games and both playoff games this year. I've done both regular seats and corporate suites. I love the Georgia Dome. The life cycle of these stadiums continues to get shorter-and-shorter, partially as result of having to "one-up" the last one built.

I'm 6'5" and never thought the seats were horrible - maybe for other events, but for football, I thought them to be fine. It's a game, not a Broadway play.

I bought two PSLs for Mercedes-Benz stadium. The sales department tells you the leases are good for 30 years - as if they'll be in that building that long.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:51 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
1992. Dome seats about 74,000; MBS will seat 71,000 and be expandable to 75,000.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Boy, were my numbers off!

Sorry, everyone.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
I was a season ticket holder for 5 years, and attended a few regular season games and both playoff games this year. I've done both regular seats and corporate suites. I love the Georgia Dome. The life cycle of these stadiums continues to get shorter-and-shorter, partially as result of having to "one-up" the last one built.

I'm 6'5" and never thought the seats were horrible - maybe for other events, but for football, I thought them to be fine. It's a game, not a Broadway play.

I bought two PSLs for Mercedes-Benz stadium. The sales department tells you the leases are good for 30 years - as if they'll be in that building that long.
HAHA I wouldn't bank on it.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The main reason for the change is competition. If we want to continue vying for major events such as the Super Bowl or the World Cup, we need a state of the art venue.
This is an excellent point.

In addition to being able to continue to vie for major events like the Super Bowl and/or the World Cup, other major motivations for building a new stadium include being able to retain the SEC (Southeastern Conference) Championship Game and draw multiple National Semifinal and National Championship Game hosting berths in FBS/Division I college football in a region where college football often seems to be nothing short of an obsession.

Atlanta city and Georgia state officials seemed to become extremely motivated to build a new football stadium after learning that Dallas Cowboys' owner Jerry Jones was making a very serious attempt to convince SEC officials to move the Atlanta-based SEC Championship Game to AT&T Stadium in Dallas after the admission of Texas A&M into the conference back in 2011.

In this football-crazed region and part of the country, being the semi-permanent host of a major high-profile college football event like the SEC Championship Game is a massive source of pride around these parts....So one can imagine the alarm when Atlanta and Georgia officials learned that they were in real danger of losing their highly-prized SEC Championship Game to Jerry Jones and his recently-built "Jerry World" stadium (AT&T Stadium) in Dallas.

The construction of the new stadium (Mercedes-Benz Stadium) guarantees that Atlanta will remain the host site of the highly-coveted SEC Championship Game through 2027.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: