Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 11:18 AM
#41 #41 started this thread

126 posts, read 255,582 times

Advertisements

I plan on purchasing a new vehicle at the end of the year. Was looking mostly at Jeeps. Since there are so many dealers in and around the atlanta area I was curious maybe that helped with getting a good deal??

Also been looking at some South Carolina dealers. Can anyone dumb down how the taxes work if I buy in SC but live in GA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:21 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Not sure about the SC tax issue, but I always hear rave reviews about Jasper Jeep in Jasper, GA.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:38 AM

63 posts, read 79,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #41 View Post
I plan on purchasing a new vehicle at the end of the year. Was looking mostly at Jeeps. Since there are so many dealers in and around the atlanta area I was curious maybe that helped with getting a good deal??

Also been looking at some South Carolina dealers. Can anyone dumb down how the taxes work if I buy in SC but live in GA?

Thanks.
I had a positive buying experience at Landmark on Peachtree Industrial this past November, although I've heard rumors that the service department is problematic. Perhaps that's any dealership service department though...

As for the tax, you will have to pay GA tax (called Title Ad Valorum Tax or "TAVT") when you register the vehicle in Georgia even if purchased in another state. The "birthday tax" of yore was replaced 3-4 years ago and the tax is now a one-time payment.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info.

I am near Augusta but deciding it it would be worth it to travel to the atlanta area when I get ready to buy. I still have a while to go so just doing some early research.

I'll look into the ones mentioned but welcome any other input.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

I am near Augusta but deciding it it would be worth it to travel to the atlanta area when I get ready to buy. I still have a while to go so just doing some early research.

I'll look into the ones mentioned but welcome any other input.
Just email any of the dealers in the area.

I wouldn't restrict myself to Atlanta alone. Try Middle GA and Savannah as well.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Jasper Jeep is worth visiting just to see the showroom.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprial View Post

As for the tax, you will have to pay GA tax (called Title Ad Valorum Tax or "TAVT") when you register the vehicle in Georgia even if purchased in another state. The "birthday tax" of yore was replaced 3-4 years ago and the tax is now a one-time payment.
Just wanted to expand on tis a bit. So, if I bought in SC, would the taxes still be rolled into the loan? Or would I pay say, $30,000 at the SC dealer and then pay the GA tax separately?

Sorry, for the not specific to ATL question.

Old 02-04-2017, 02:24 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
We bought a car in VA for my husband. VA is one of the few states that will collect the tax and REMIT to the state of GA without you having to pay in VA as well. I believe SC does not do this which means you pay tax in SC and then you have to pay tax again when you register it in GA. But call a dealer in SC to be sure. I know we had found some cars in SC but it's been a few years so I can't remember for sure. We were shopping for a car in neighboring states as it was hard to find the car my husband wanted with low miles and if I found one in another state, I just called the dealer where I found the car and asked them what their state does. There are not many states nearby that allow them to collect the tax in their state and remit in GA. You may be able to roll the tax into your loan where you buy it but you'll have to pay for the tax in GA yourself to register the car in GA.

Coincidentally, GA does allow out of state residents to purchase the car in GA and remit directly to their state. I have a friend who owns a dealership and I just asked him as my sister in NC wants to possibly buy a car in GA.

PS They own a Jeep dealership. Check out www.troncalli.com.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:35 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Just wanted to expand on tis a bit. So, if I bought in SC, would the taxes still be rolled into the loan? Or would I pay say, $30,000 at the SC dealer and then pay the GA tax separately?

Sorry, for the not specific to ATL question.
Read p.4-7

https://dor.sc.gov/resources-site/pu...alers-2016.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta