Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:24 AM

643 posts, read 571,754 times

Advertisements

MARTA gonna MARTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppyrunin View Post
Nah, nobody who has any money and has been here for over a week would ever consider marta.
gtcorndog, welcome back.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 AM

11 posts, read 8,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
gtcorndog, welcome back.
Never was a fan of corndogs. Now, cornbread and you'd have my number.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM

894 posts, read 587,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
A 49 year old man stabbed to death a fellow MARTA passenger who refused to give him money. The incident occurred on a weekday night (January 24th) near the Avondale Station. Here is the link to the ajc.com article: Cops: Man murders MARTA train rider who refused to give him money

Many Metro Atlantans will read this article and have second thoughts about riding. There was also an incident a couple of years ago on a train near the Five Points Station where a Delta employee on his way to work at the Airport was brutally attacked inside the train.
Wow, scary stuff particularly for me since I lived in Atlanta for 9 years and rode the train at least 5 days a week.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 AM

749 posts, read 887,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppyrunin View Post
Nah, nobody who has any money and has been here for over a week would ever consider marta.
Way to use this tragic event to push your agenda. Yeah, awful things don't happen in traffic either... oh wait

Johns Creek police is investigating dramatic video showing a road rage incident that ended with one man pulling a gun on a driver

Also, I own 4 homes, zero cars and am a daily rider. Please take your fear mongering elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Too many crazies use public transit in America. Most countries dont have these issues.
That's because in other countries, public transit is viewed as a social good that everyone benefits from and everyone uses.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
Wow, scary stuff particularly for me since I lived in Atlanta for 9 years and rode the train at least 5 days a week.
The chances of this happening to you are less than getting struck my a Sharknado.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:31 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
It also doesn't help when it's posted in message boards like this every single time something happens.

Should we start posting threads about the stabbings and shootings that occur across the metro every day?

What about reporting every time someone dies on the highway commuting back and forth to those suburban areas?

It's just fear-mongering.
So you want to hide the truth. That is part of Atlanta's problem. People want to stick their head in the sand.

I was ridiculed for pointing out that the areas around Kensington and Avondale can be dangerous. And later stats showed that Kensington had the highest crime rate of any MARTA station (maybe it was only top 3).

You can't solve problems if you deny they exist.

Fact is there are some crazy people who ride MARTA.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
So you want to hide the truth. That is part of Atlanta's problem. People want to stick their head in the sand.

I was ridiculed for pointing out that the areas around Kensington and Avondale can be dangerous. And later stats showed that Kensington had the highest crime rate of any MARTA station (maybe it was only top 3).

You can't solve problems if you deny they exist.

Fact is there are some crazy people who ride MARTA.
Okay, so what do you want done about it? It's a public amenity open to everyone. As are parks, libraries, many school campuses, sidewalks, and a lot of other places. How do you keep "crazy" people out of places meant for anyone? Give them a psych exam before granting entry? Living in a public realm will put you in contact with such people. This murder is a tragedy, no doubt, but it will get blown out of proportion because it happened on a MARTA vehicle. MARTA's reputation with some certainly isn't its reality. It's still a safe transit system.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:11 AM

445 posts, read 516,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I was ridiculed for pointing out that the areas around Kensington and Avondale can be dangerous. And later stats showed that Kensington had the highest crime rate of any MARTA station (maybe it was only top 3.
The areas around Kensington station and Avondale station are pretty different. This crime doesn't really tell us much about the safety of the area, since it happened on the train.

Interesting that a week passed before news of the incident came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta