Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 11:45 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times

Advertisements

Looks like Grant Park will getting a new green roofed parking deck.

I wonder how close this will be to the B**tline?

City plans 1,000-space parking garage with green roof for Grant Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Looks better than what is there now but still a bad investment in the medium / long term. The money would be better spent getting the planned streetcar / light rail connection to Grant Park sooner. Hope they at least plan to charge for parking.

The closest space is a half mile from the closest future Beltline southside trail access point down Boulevard. In reality you are probably looking at closer to mile.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:06 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
If the existing lots are removed and replaces with greenspace, then this is a good idea. If this is more parking, this is not good. ZooAtlanta is accessible via bus 32 and is only 1.3 mile very shaded, walk from King Memorial Station.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
ZooAtlanta is accessible via bus 32 and is only 1.3 mile very shaded, walk from King Memorial Station.
1.3 miles is like walking all the way from one end of the MOG to the other, then walking back to the beginning, and then walking all the way to the end again.

That's more than a lot of people want to do, especially if it's in the boiling sun.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:04 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,361,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Looks better than what is there now but still a bad investment in the medium / long term. The money would be better spent getting the planned streetcar / light rail connection to Grant Park sooner. Hope they at least plan to charge for parking.
It'll kill you if they don't, won't it?

A new light rail connection might take some of the parking load off, but I don't think it would have a significant impact. I don't know how many times you've been to the zoo recently, but if you arrive any time but first thing in the morning, it's impossible to find a spot in their lot.

Quote:
The closest space is a half mile from the closest future Beltline southside trail access point down Boulevard. In reality you are probably looking at closer to mile.
Looking at the plans for the new entrance, it's right at half a mile from the Beltline down Boulevard. But, let's face it...transit on the Beltline is at least a decade away. This project could be done by next year. Basing the project on transit at this point is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If the existing lots are removed and replaces with greenspace, then this is a good idea. If this is more parking, this is not good. ZooAtlanta is accessible via bus 32 and is only 1.3 mile very shaded, walk from King Memorial Station.
The conceptual drawing shows that the existing zoo parking lot will be removed and turned into bike/pedestrian area with a farmers' market, and the main entrance to the zoo will move over to boulevard. This is a much better plan because boulevard connects directly with I-20, whereas Cherokee is a pain in the balls.

"Only 1.3 miles"? What world do you live in? Have you ever tried to walk 1.3 miles with an inquisitive four-year-old or a kid who needs to leave now? It would take an hour. And that would suck in the summer. 1.3 miles. HA!

Old 10-10-2016, 02:05 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
1.3 miles is like walking all the way from one end of the MOG to the other, then walking back to the beginning, and then walking all the way to the end again.

That's more than a lot of people want to do, especially if it's in the boiling sun.
Likely with younger kids in tow. The expectation that someone is going to walk 2.5+ miles round trip with kids, plus a MARTA trip on each end, plus likely a car trip or another walk on each end of that, for an attraction like the zoo just isn't grounded in reality.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

A new light rail connection might take some of the parking load off, but I don't think it would have a significant impact. I don't know how many times you've been to the zoo recently, but if you arrive any time but first thing in the morning, it's impossible to find a spot in their lot.

Looking at the plans for the new entrance, it's right at half a mile from the Beltline down Boulevard. But, let's face it...transit on the Beltline is at least a decade away. This project could be done by next year. Basing the project on transit at this point is foolish.

The conceptual drawing shows that the existing zoo parking lot will be removed and turned into bike/pedestrian area with a farmers' market, and the main entrance to the zoo will move over to boulevard. This is a much better plan because boulevard connects directly with I-20, whereas Cherokee is a pain in the balls.

"Only 1.3 miles"? What world do you live in? Have you ever tried to walk 1.3 miles with an inquisitive four-year-old or a kid who needs to leave now? It would take an hour. And that would suck in the summer. 1.3 miles. HA!
Step up and be the parent, don't let your child be the parent. Yes I have taken my 3 yo daughter to the zoo via bike and MARTA. Getting there is half the fun for her.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,709 times
Glad to a thread about a parking deck has devolved into parenting advice.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:30 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
No. Will it "kill you" if they do?

Quote:
If only there was some way to better balance supply and demand...

Quote:
But, let's face it...transit on the Beltline is at least a decade away. This project could be done by next year. Basing the project on transit at this point is foolish.
There is a planned transit stop right at Georgia Ave & Grant Park which is closer to the entrance than this parking deck. Also, we vote on funding Beltline transit this November. The existing section of the streetcar was funded in 2012 and opened last year. They have already been doing a lot of the preliminary steps to get this going such as wrapping up the EA. But sure, this route will likely be secondary to other sections of transit so it might be closer to a decade before it is online.

But regardless, we totally should be planning major infrastructure with changes coming in the next decade in mind.

Old 10-10-2016, 03:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,241,164 times
Hahaha, love the predictable directions these conversations go in.

I cringe a bit at building more parking and agree that this should come along with the removal of existing lots. But with that said, the parking lots for Grant Park are a bit of a madhouse on weekends. I didn't go there often until recently but we got a Zoo membership. Every time I go it's like parking at a mall for Christmas, never expected that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta