Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:39 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Unfortunately, that's likely not going to happen unless the future rail line to Clayton County is HRT (and would still require some distance from the terminal due to the runways).
The design of the international terminal makes direct rail connection hard. What'll likely happen is that there will be a station (HRT of CRT) at Hapeville &/or Mountain View. A shuttle bus will likely then run from this station to the terminal itself.

Now, if the airport wants to fund the construction of a TSA check point at the eventual MARTA station, and an extension of the Plane Train out that far, I wouldn't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The design of the international terminal makes direct rail connection hard. What'll likely happen is that there will be a station (HRT of CRT) at Hapeville &/or Mountain View. A shuttle bus will likely then run from this station to the terminal itself.

Now, if the airport wants to fund the construction of a TSA check point at the eventual MARTA station, and an extension of the Plane Train out that far, I wouldn't complain.
fourthwarden makes a good point with the comment about the Plane Train.

I think that it would be viable that a future HRT (Heavy Rail Transit) line through Clayton County would be connected to the International Terminal by way of a tram or people mover of some kind between the terminal and a future HRT station, either in the Hapeville or Mountain View areas.

One of the most notable examples of this is at the Oakland International Airport in the Bay Area where the terminal is connected to the Daly City-Fremont, Richmond-Fremont and Daly City-Dublin/Pleasanton lines by way of a 3.2 mile-long automated guideway transit line operated by BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) between the Oakland International Airport terminal and the BART Coliseum Station.

Another option would be just to route any future HRT line through Clayton County so that it has a stop at a station at the International Terminal.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

I think that it would be viable that a future HRT (Heavy Rail Transit) line through Clayton County would be connected to the International Terminal by way of a tram or people mover of some kind between the terminal and a future HRT station, either in the Hapeville or Mountain View areas.

One of the most notable examples of this is at the Oakland International Airport in the Bay Area where the terminal is connected to the Daly City-Fremont, Richmond-Fremont and Daly City-Dublin/Pleasanton lines by way of a 3.2 mile-long automated guideway transit line operated by BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) between the Oakland International Airport terminal and the BART Coliseum Station.
Hopefully they don't make a whole new people-mover system, and just use what we got already.

Quote:
Another option would be just to route any future HRT line through Clayton County so that it has a stop at a station at the International Terminal.
The question for that, though, is how? The International terminal is buried a full mile into the airport from I-75, and well over 1.5 miles from the likely mountain view station location.

They'd have to dive under at Hapeville, do a hard 's' turn to line up with the International Terminal, then do another series of turns to get back to the tracks before Forest Park. They'd miss Mountain View all together. All of that would require tunneling under active runways, and two separate interstates.

It's doable, sure, but it would be incredibly expensive. I would be curious to compare the costs of doing such a thing to tunneling for the plane train to go to Mountainview, where cut and cover methods could more readily be used along Grand Pky to meet up with the tracks at Mountainview.

Here's a general map of it all.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

It's a cable-drawn PRT system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colise...l_Airport_line

Old 02-08-2017, 01:47 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Hopefully they don't make a whole new people-mover system, and just use what we got already.

The question for that, though, is how? The International terminal is buried a full mile into the airport from I-75, and well over 1.5 miles from the likely mountain view station location.

They'd have to dive under at Hapeville, do a hard 's' turn to line up with the International Terminal, then do another series of turns to get back to the tracks before Forest Park. They'd miss Mountain View all together. All of that would require tunneling under active runways, and two separate interstates.

It's doable, sure, but it would be incredibly expensive. I would be curious to compare the costs of doing such a thing to tunneling for the plane train to go to Mountainview, where cut and cover methods could more readily be used along Grand Pky to meet up with the tracks at Mountainview.

Here's a general map of it all.
The scenario that you laid out on your map would be one way (and probably the best possible way) to possibly route a future Clayton County HRT line into the International Terminal.

Though, like you touched upon in your comments, I would like to see the Mountain View area get a station and be revitalized as a large-scale high-density mixed-use TOD built around a regional multimodal high-capacity transit station near the airport. Under this scenario, a scenario that I prefer the most, the International Terminal would be connected to the regional transit station/TOD in the Mountain View area by way of a high-frequency people mover of some type, either an extension of the existing Plane Train, an AGT line, etc, because of the importance of the International Terminal as a destination and originating point in the entire Atlanta metro area.

Connecting the Int'l Terminal to a station in the Mountain View would enable future trains on the high-capacity rail transit line (HRT and/or CRT, etc) to continue operating on a direct path through the area without detouring off of the route into the Int'l Terminal adding travel time to the entire rail transit trip between points north (like Downtown and Central Atlanta) and points south (like Lovejoy and Hampton).

Old 02-08-2017, 01:58 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Conley Rd needs to be re-routed to connect with Charles W Grant Pkwy. Then build some new connected grid streets around there, that would help support the new development.

Then perhaps look at re-incorporating Mountain View as a new city. (As it once was.)

Old 02-08-2017, 04:48 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That doesn't work on return flights. You have to recheck your bags through security, then reclaim them at the main terminal before you can get to MARTA.

Are you guys really excusing this ridiculous process?

How are non-native speakers supposed to figure out this nonsense?
I do hate that part of the process. I've heard that they're planning to remedy that in the near future.
My previous comment to you was good-natured ribbing on my part, I hope you know. Of course I'd like to see some more evolved connectivity to that terminal as well. No doubt it will happen at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta