Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Please. People move there strictly because of jobs or because its cheaper. Nobody moves there because its fun and exciting unless they are from a small town. Plus TX gets there money from higher city and property taxes and toll roads
And the oil and gas industry.

And I hate to break it to you, but most people move to Atlanta for the same reasons. I'm not counting the few people who move because they want to make it big on a reality TV show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Please. People move there strictly because of jobs or because its cheaper. Nobody moves there because its fun and exciting unless they are from a small town. Plus TX gets there money from higher city and property taxes and toll roads
Does anyone move to Atlanta because it's fun and exciting? I doubt it. But, both Houston and Dallas are cosmopolitan places that offer every bit if not more than Atlanta does to their residents and visitors alike.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,881 times
Quote:
Please. People move there strictly because of jobs or because its cheaper. Nobody moves there because its fun and exciting unless they are from a small town.
I imagine, most people move to Atlanta for that reason. I know my family did.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:05 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Which criteria is holding ATL back vs. those 3?
Super Bowl wins.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Does anyone move to Atlanta because it's fun and exciting? I doubt it. But, both Houston and Dallas are cosmopolitan places that offer every bit if not more than Atlanta does to their residents and visitors alike.
A huge number of blacks do. Actually I did also. Traveled the world in the military and once you factor in the COL nothing else compares. My career field I can move anywhere so I moved back because its close to home and the entertainment. Professional blacks are limited to where we can go and have a good social scene with our population at 13% in the US. The only other city is DC which offers a good social scene for professional blacks

Dont know about whites and hispanics. Actually a poster in here did after they visited here but im not going to call them out.

Atlanta has more annual visitors than Dallas and Houston combined. You just cant compare entertainment in Atlanta to Dallas and Houston. You can compare a few general things like restaurants and shopping, col, etc

You have to be at least over 50 years old with that thinking and perception or extremely out of touch with the social scene here. Are you over 50 if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by fieldm; 02-08-2017 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 01:09 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Super Bowl wins.

Ummm, not so much, lol... Don't think we should go their. So much more to a City than winning the Super bowl or even having a pro Team I must admit. It's a plus though.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:17 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
A huge number of blacks do. Dont know about whites and hispanics. Actually a poster in here did after they visited here but im not going to call them out

Atlanta has more annual visitors than Dallas and Houston combined. You just cant compare entertainment in Atlanta to Dallas and Houston. You can compare a few general things like restaurants and shopping, col, etc

You have to be at least over 50 years old with that thinking and perception or extremely out of touch with the social scene here. Are you over 50 if you dont mind me asking?
53, fieldm.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:43 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Which criteria is holding ATL back vs. those 3?
Its irrelevant. That is a bozo survey that ranks El Paso, Texas ahead of New York,Chicago and Los Angeles!

Old 02-08-2017, 01:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
53, fieldm.
And retired to Forsyth Co.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
Quote:
53, fieldm.

I figured. Blacks are limited on where we can go and fit in. Its even worse for professional blacks. Only Atlanta and DC caters to this group in every department. You being a white lady in your 50s im sure all 3 cities are the same generally speaking since a night out for you probably something simple like going to a restaurant. When you go you automatically fit in and see people who look like you. Its not like that for us in America except in a few cities. Its similar to you going to Japan and feeling out of place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta