Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:44 PM

105 posts, read 202,349 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been eyeing properties in Oakhurst but we are wondering if we would be buying at the top of the market. We love the community feel of Oakhurst and how liberal it is, even more so than O4W where we currently live. But everything we've looked at is so expensive and pretty much at the top of our price range in the high $500s to the low $600s for what would be considered a downgrade from our O4W home.

Do you guys think Oakhurst will continue to rise or do you think it's reached its peak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Why do you want to leave O4W?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:18 PM

105 posts, read 202,349 times
Actually, we are fine with staying in O4W and love living here, minus the crime. Oakhurst has that community feel that O4W is missing, but it is farther away from all the things we enjoy (Piedmont Park, Beltline, Midtown, PCM, Downtown, etc.).

Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Honestly, if you don't have kids and are buying in Oakhurst you are paying a really steep premium to be in one of the best school districts in the state. On top of that, you'll have a higher tax bill as well. Decatur taxes on 50% of the appraised value (Atlanta is 40%), and has a higher mileage rate. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of the area even without kids. But every listing you walk into you will be in a bidding war with a family with kids. Each of those kids represents at least $8k in private school tuition they are saving by being in City of Decatur, so it's pretty easy to get into a bidding war. If you generally like the area but schools are a non-factor, I'd consider looking in the City of Atlanta of Kirkwood and East Lake that tightly border Oakhurst. It's still a competitive housing market, but your dollar will go further than it will once you cross the City of Decatur line, and you'll pay less in taxes. Along the edges, those three neighborhoods are all fairly indistinguishable.

The time to buy in Oakhurst was 10 years ago. Or 5 years ago even. Teardown prices are closing in on the mid-high 300k range, so anything that's in livable condition by modern tastes is going to run at least 50% more than that.

Last edited by red92s; 02-13-2017 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
No, the entirely of City of Decatur is an aggressive sellers market.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM

222 posts, read 243,075 times
I'm going to go even further than most. It's a horrible time to buy in nearly every intown neighborhood in Atlanta. Kirkwood, East Lake, Edgewood, East Atlanta, hell even West End prices are up 30-40% from just 24 months ago. I'd personally wait for more direction from the federal reserve and the Trump administration. I'd be very skeptical of buying any home over $500k in most of these areas, but that's just my opinion. There is a ton of investor speculation in nearly all of these neighborhoods. Lots are going for 200k+ in neighborhoods that just a few years ago were sub 45k markets.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:26 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTATL View Post
Actually, we are fine with staying in O4W and love living here, minus the crime. Oakhurst has that community feel that O4W is missing, but it is farther away from all the things we enjoy (Piedmont Park, Beltline, Midtown, PCM, Downtown, etc.).
I'm frankly baffled by this statement.
But if you like wine crawls, exposed ceilings, children, teardowns, self-conscious liberalism, fashionable activism and veiled one-upmanship, Oakhurst is probably the place for you.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:29 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm frankly baffled by this statement.
But if you like wine crawls, exposed ceilings, children, teardowns, self-conscious liberalism, fashionable activism and veiled one-upmanship, Oakhurst is probably the place for you.
That's a pretty hot take, but not entirely inaccurate.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:02 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Oakhurst is great, and definitely has that walkable neighborhood feel that some areas lack. It is very safe, often you will see young children walking to and from school on their own or playing on the playground. They have a cute little downtown section and the area has gentrified so thoroughly that there is little to no blight remaining. It's also a great location within the metro.

That said, Oakhurst is a fortune due to the schools. Most new builds are offered above 800k these days. Even small, old homes are around 500k. At this point, there are Intown communities that are just as safe and neighborhood-like as Oakhurst where you can buy a home for the same price or cheaper. Some of the residential areas of Virginia Highland or Morningside for example, both of which are zoned to elementary schools as good or better than Decatur (like Mary Lin)

Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Oakhurst is great, and definitely has that walkable neighborhood feel that some areas lack. It is very safe, often you will see young children walking to and from school on their own or playing on the playground. They have a cute little downtown section and the area has gentrified so thoroughly that there is little to no blight remaining. It's also a great location within the metro.

That said, Oakhurst is a fortune due to the schools. Most new builds are offered above 800k these days. Even small, old homes are around 500k. At this point, there are Intown communities that are just as safe and neighborhood-like as Oakhurst where you can buy a home for the same price or cheaper. Some of the residential areas of Virginia Highland or Morningside for example, both of which are zoned to elementary schools as good or better than Decatur (like Mary Lin)
Agreed.

To the OP: Why would want to uproot when your current neighborhood is just hitting its' stride?
To me, Oakhurst is settled in. All eyes are on O4W now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta