Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Deportation Laws Affect Metro Atlanta's and Georgia;s Growth
Yes 3 17.65%
No 14 82.35%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:43 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Her 'crime' was using a fake Social Security number many years ago to get a job at a water park. She was caught, punished and has been checking in with ICE regularly for years now - as ordered.

Now she checks in for her annual visit with ICE as she always has, and she's deported. This woman is a wife, mother and has been here since her parents brought her at 14 years of age.

For you to cheer ripping families apart in this manner in the name of deporting so called 'criminals' makes me want to puke.
She was convicted of Felony Identity Theft and ordered to leave the country during Obama's reign. Since you appear to be a Liberal that cannot think rationally, I'd ask you, is she here Legally or Illegally?

The answer is Illegally and with her Felony conviction she was deported as she should have been. There's not any in between, sorry if that doesn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy, but it's the Law. Do you believe in the rule of Law or not?

This is a perfect example of how the Obama administration kicked the can down the road and the Trump administration picked up the can and put it where it belongs.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 02-15-2017 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 AM

146 posts, read 134,489 times
I don't think it will effect Metro Atlanta at all. The MA has the highest influx of people coming from other parts of the US and usually their citizens looking for cheaper cost of living. If I was still in NYC I would be very worried about potential loss of workers.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If you're here Illegally, go back home and get in the Legal entry line. It's really that simple...

And a big thanks to Trump for finally laying down the law!

Will it make a difference in GA population? Certain areas, yes, but overall not so much.
President Trump didn't "finally lay down the law." President Obama's administration deported over 2.5 million folks during his two terms. Here's a link to an ABC News report: Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President - ABC News

Old 02-15-2017, 11:53 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
AJC already covered this last week. The largest area of Illegal Immigrants in Georgia is in the greater Roswell area which there are estimated to be 250k. That isn't a significant number like some other cities have so I don't think even mass deportations would impact Atlanta like it would other cities like say Los Angeles etc.

Last edited by ronricks; 02-15-2017 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-15-2017, 12:02 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Her 'crime' was using a fake Social Security number many years ago to get a job at a water park. She was caught, punished and has been checking in with ICE regularly for years now - as ordered.

Now she checks in for her annual visit with ICE as she always has, and she's deported. This woman is a wife, mother and has been here since her parents brought her at 14 years of age.

For you to cheer ripping families apart in this manner in the name of deporting so called 'criminals' makes me want to puke.
Curious to know what you think about our criminal justice system that rips apart American Families every single day by sending a Mother, Father (or both) away to Prison/Jail oftentimes for victim less crimes or for crimes that have unfair or skewed sentencing guidelines. These people broke the law and have to do jail time even though they are American citizens but it isn't fair to to do the same for people who are here Illegally AND breaking the law?

Is that what you are telling me? That it is a-OK in the name of Justice to break up American families though our court system but it ISN'T OK to do the same for people who are here Illegally?

Old 02-15-2017, 12:18 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Curious to know what you think about our criminal justice system that rips apart American Families every single day by sending a Mother, Father (or both) away to Prison/Jail oftentimes for victim less crimes or for crimes that have unfair or skewed sentencing guidelines. These people broke the law and have to do jail time even though they are American citizens but it isn't fair to to do the same for people who are here Illegally AND breaking the law?

Is that what you are telling me? That it is a-OK in the name of Justice to break up American families though our court system but it ISN'T OK to do the same for people who are here Illegally?
Exactly! Instead of spending up to 15 years in a US prison for Felony Identity Theft, she was given a bus ride back to Mexico where she is free and her kids are also free to visit or move to Mexico if they wish. Sounds like she got off easy if you ask me...

Old 02-15-2017, 05:07 PM

160 posts, read 159,143 times
I say if you're gonna be here at least learn the road rules.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:15 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
President Trump didn't "finally lay down the law." President Obama's administration deported over 2.5 million folks during his two terms. Here's a link to an ABC News report: Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President - ABC News
Yep. It's highly unlikely Trump will deport as many people as Obama.

What he is doing is driving people underground. It'll be interesting to see the effects on construction, landscaping, farming, food service, restaurant and hospitality businesses, healthcare and other areas where immigrants have been playing a major role in the economy.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You don't know me. Don't think you can assume anything about me, k?

But no, I find these laws abhorrent as well - in most cases. Especially pot-related crimes and minimum sentencing laws.

Quote:
No, it isn't what I'm telling you. See above.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Exactly! Instead of spending up to 15 years in a US prison for Felony Identity Theft, she was given a bus ride back to Mexico where she is free and her kids are also free to visit or move to Mexico if they wish. Sounds like she got off easy if you ask me...
Oh cry me a damn river. You could care less about the laws ronricks posted, it just handily fits your hate-filled narrative at the moment. Besides, your President Bannon & his new AG Bubba Beauregard are vehemently anti-marijauna. Things will only get worse in the near term, I'm afraid.

How about you focus your outrage on the daily carnage happening in the hub of your own Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta