Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:24 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
GA already has one of the highest state income taxes in the nation, that's not enough?
You constantly give out bad information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:53 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Really? What part of the North East you talking about?
As far as my limited but not so limited knowledge of many places in the Northeast while driving, I tell ya!

New Jersey have some of the best roads and highways even in ghetto places such as Newark and beyond in the rural densely populated areas accross the state. Take in consideration the amount of salt and snow yearly,they deserve a lot of credit for being in top of things.

Connecticut.. Excellent roads and highways as well as far as my knowledge. I haven't been in Hartford but most of the rest looks great. Again,lots of salt and snow yearly.

Rhode Island it is indeed sort of another Atlanta yet much smaller and bad roads mainly in the city areas of Providence and some near by suburbs. However things seems to be improving with visible plans into action.

Even New York City streets and of course the fancy suburbs with so many old roads and old tunnels and bridges in their infrastructure look in fairly good shape considering the good beatdown it gets with traffic and storms.

DC streets? Actually beautiful

Only place I could think of is Philadelphia and many areas in the state of Pennsylvania. Yes Philly infrastructure is old plus more rundown to the point of almost not being comparable to Atlanta I must say! But no shade to Philly but is that what Atlanta want to be compared to?(In terms of roads infrastructure!)
Now is it going to take to compare it to the state of many of the roads of the land of William Penn for awareness.?

Also,Pennsylvania have a long history of not running things as they should when it comes to government to say it somehow.
Reason why a lot of state have the same problem but that as opposed to many beautiful roads outside of the metropolitan area and limited suburbs in the state of Georgia.
Pennsylvania roads are bad all across the state. Interstates, US highways, local roads, all of em. Even the turnpike has a surprisingly high number of rough patches and bumps.

I've only driven a few miles in New Jersey but their state park road for the highest point in Jersey was in complete disrepair back in October.

Connecticut highways were a mixed bag. I was only off the freeway to eat lunch and I don't really remember that much.

US route 6 (the 2 lane rural portion) in Rhode Island was one of the worst stretches I've ever driven on. I couldn't even go the speed limit and was constantly trying to avoid holes. 295 wasn't too bad though. They must've repaved it recently.

I only drove on 95 in Mass and NH. Seemed alright. Maine's turnpike wasn't too bad but the side roads were in pretty bad shape.

Upstate NY was pretty bad in the Adirondacks. I 88 was gorgeous but in abysmal condition. Old concrete that had settled very poorly with a thud at every concrete section junction.

NE roads are known to be poor. My friends from up here (Im in PA right now) have told me that time and time again. I love coming home cause I get to drive on decent roads again. Roads in the Atlanta area can get rough and loud but I'll take that over a car rattling bump every 250 feet. Really in the south the only states that are as bad as up here are Mississippi and Louisiana. Mississippi interstates aren't too bad but their local roads, even in wealthier areas, are pretty bad. Louisiana is just bad everywhere. Even their newer sections are bad.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 PM

21 posts, read 18,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Really? What part of the North East you talking about?
As far as my limited but not so limited knowledge of many places in the Northeast while driving, I tell ya!

New Jersey have some of the best roads and highways even in ghetto places such as Newark and beyond in the rural densely populated areas accross the state. Take in consideration the amount of salt and snow yearly,they deserve a lot of credit for being in top of things.

Connecticut.. Excellent roads and highways as well as far as my knowledge. I haven't been in Hartford but most of the rest looks great. Again,lots of salt and snow yearly.

Rhode Island it is indeed sort of another Atlanta yet much smaller and bad roads mainly in the city areas of Providence and some near by suburbs. However things seems to be improving with visible plans into action.

Even New York City streets and of course the fancy suburbs with so many old roads and old tunnels and bridges in their infrastructure look in fairly good shape considering the good beatdown it gets with traffic and storms.

DC streets? Actually beautiful

Only place I could think of is Philadelphia and many areas in the state of Pennsylvania. Yes Philly infrastructure is old plus more rundown to the point of almost not being comparable to Atlanta I must say! But no shade to Philly but is that what Atlanta want to be compared to?(In terms of roads infrastructure!)
Now is it going to take to compare it to the state of many of the roads of the land of William Penn for awareness.?

Also,Pennsylvania have a long history of not running things as they should when it comes to government to say it somehow.
Reason why a lot of state have the same problem but that as opposed to many beautiful roads outside of the metropolitan area and limited suburbs in the state of Georgia.
I can't speak for all of the northeast, but Pennsylvania, out of all states have terrible roads. And DC...? Don't get me started! Haha! Most roads here are downright horrible.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:53 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Pot holes are the least of the problems now...

Old 03-30-2017, 08:29 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
I don't think the infrastructure was the problem here - just bad planning by storing flammable materials underneath a heavily traveled interstate. Any serious fire would have compromised the structural integrity of the girders/bridge.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:52 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
The northeast weather, with the freeze/thaw cycles, causes a lot of potholes. I don't run into that many potholes driving around Cobb County, but I wish they would keep the lines on the streets painted! It is tough for us old folks driving at night with faded out lines.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:20 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
It seems like CoA roads are fairly bad (and my experiences in Dekalb County haven't been too positive) but as a whole the roads really aren't that bad. Driving in Pennsylvania is incredibly frustrating in large part due to the poor quality of the roads and a lot of the northeastern states are like that.
Highway pavement in Georgia is generally rated pretty good. City of Atlanta and DeKalb are horrible.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:22 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You constantly give out bad information
Georgia does have one of the highest individual income taxes in the country. Few places hit 6% at $10,000.

Now that is not the whole tax burden, but his information was correct.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:45 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't think the infrastructure was the problem here - just bad planning by storing flammable materials underneath a heavily traveled interstate. Any serious fire would have compromised the structural integrity of the girders/bridge.
THIS. I can't believe the amount of people on social media and whatnot who point to this incident and say our infrastructure is "crumbling."

Just freak occurrence.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM

139 posts, read 127,067 times
Worth mentioning and praising the effort of .. the city of Atlanta,Fulton County or the City of South Fulton! perhaps the state!? for repaving nicely the Fulton Industrial corridor!
Interesting since is still a depressed area for the most so no one can say it was done in a nice neighborhood. Well done to whoever deserves the credit.

Also Deering Rd on the north side shortcut of mines was repaved nicely off a few of the ones I have noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta