Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times

Advertisements

Go drive in places like Boston. My favorite city but the roads are hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 10:39 PM

139 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Go drive in places like Boston. My favorite city but the roads are hell.
Lol I'm not disagreeing.Philadelphia even New York are awful for the most (DC roads are actually fairly nice and pretty) But those cities have much older infrastructure too and much higher snow precipitation!

My plan? Let's make liable or how can I put it. Let's make a bundle deal lol where any developer will have to repave nicely in part..(lamps and gardens not necessary but can help!) the streets or say a portion around the property they building which by in the process of building it many of the same of their trucks was the ones who destroyed what we the citizens have paid for to enjoy and for the sake of those future new residents and or patrons!
Want to gentrify? Well give back to the people! (Sarcasm)

Last edited by InternationalWaves; 07-31-2017 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 06:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalWaves View Post
Lol I'm not disagreeing.Philadelphia even New York are awful for the most (DC roads are actually fairly nice and pretty) But those cities have much older infrastructure too and much higher snow precipitation!

My plan? Let's make liable or how can I put it. Let's make a bundle deal lol where any developer will have to repave nicely in part..(lamps and gardens not necessary but can help!) the streets or say a portion around the property they building which by in the process of building it many of the same of their trucks was the ones who destroyed what we the citizens have paid for to enjoy and for the sake of those future new residents and or patrons!
Want to gentrify? Well give back to the people! (Sarcasm)
It's called impact fees and in the CoA those fees go into the General Funds, not a separate fund for these types projects. Many of the higher density zoning requires the street frontage to be changed, wider sidewalks, street trees, decorative lamps, furniture zone.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:59 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,754 times
This comes up every few years, and was one of Mayor Kasim Reeds goals- improve city streets. I remember him saying there are multimillion dollar homes on Paces Ferry and potholes all over the place on that road. The main problem they were facing is the city didnt have much money for the roads- the gas tax had most of the money going to federal roads- aka you see the highways getting paved every few years when they dont really need it, and the rest of the money went into a general fund. There was finally an extra 1% tax passed this year I believe with more money allocated to local roads.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It's called impact fees and in the CoA those fees go into the General Funds, not a separate fund for these types projects. Many of the higher density zoning requires the street frontage to be changed, wider sidewalks, street trees, decorative lamps, furniture zone.
Therein lies a problem.

State law says:

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/developme...s.Etc/DIFA.pdf

§ 36-71-8. Deposit and expenditure of fees; annual report

(a) An ordinance imposing development impact fees shall provide that all development impact fee funds shall be maintained in one or more interest-bearing accounts. Accounting records shall be maintained for each category of system improvements and the service area in which the fees are collected. Interest earned on development impact fees shall be considered funds of the account on which it is earned and shall be subject to all restrictions placed on the use of development impact fees under the provisions of this chapter. The accounting records shall include the following information:

(1) The accounting records to be maintained shall specify the address of each property which paid
development impact fees, the amount of fees paid in each category in which fees were collected, and the
date that such fees were paid
; and

(2) As to any exemptions granted, the accounting records to be maintained shall specify the address of
each property for which exemptions were granted, the reason for which such exemption was granted, and
the revenue source from which the exempt development's proportionate share of the system
improvements is to be paid.

(b) Expenditures of development impact fees shall be made only for the category of system improvements
and in the service area for which the development impact fee was imposed as shown by the capital
improvements element and as authorized by this chapter. Development impact fees shall not be used to
pay for any purpose that does not involve system improvements that create additional service available to
serve new growth and development.

(c) (1) Development impact fees, collected for roads, streets, bridges, including rights of way, traffic
signals, landscaping, or any local components of state or federal highways, shall be expended to fund, in
whole or in part, system improvement projects:

(A) That have been identified in the capital improvements element of the municipality's
comprehensive development plan; and

(B) That are chosen by a municipality after consideration of the following factors:

(i) The proximity of the proposed system improvements to developments within the service area
which have generated development impact fees collected for roads, streets, bridges, including rights of
way, traffic signals, landscaping, or any local components of state or federal highways
; and

(ii) The proposed system improvements which will have the greatest effect on level of service for
roads, streets, bridges, including rights of way, traffic signals, landscaping, or any local components of
state or federal highways impacted by the developments which have paid such impact fees

Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Therein lies a problem.

State law says:

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/developme...s.Etc/DIFA.pdf

§ 36-71-8. Deposit and expenditure of fees; annual report

(a) An ordinance imposing development impact fees shall provide that all development impact fee funds shall be maintained in one or more interest-bearing accounts. Accounting records shall be maintained for each category of system improvements and the service area in which the fees are collected. Interest earned on development impact fees shall be considered funds of the account on which it is earned and shall be subject to all restrictions placed on the use of development impact fees under the provisions of this chapter. The accounting records shall include the following information:

(1) The accounting records to be maintained shall specify the address of each property which paid
development impact fees, the amount of fees paid in each category in which fees were collected, and the
date that such fees were paid
; and

(2) As to any exemptions granted, the accounting records to be maintained shall specify the address of
each property for which exemptions were granted, the reason for which such exemption was granted, and
the revenue source from which the exempt development's proportionate share of the system
improvements is to be paid.

(b) Expenditures of development impact fees shall be made only for the category of system improvements
and in the service area for which the development impact fee was imposed as shown by the capital
improvements element and as authorized by this chapter. Development impact fees shall not be used to
pay for any purpose that does not involve system improvements that create additional service available to
serve new growth and development.

(c) (1) Development impact fees, collected for roads, streets, bridges, including rights of way, traffic
signals, landscaping, or any local components of state or federal highways, shall be expended to fund, in
whole or in part, system improvement projects:

(A) That have been identified in the capital improvements element of the municipality's
comprehensive development plan; and

(B) That are chosen by a municipality after consideration of the following factors:

(i) The proximity of the proposed system improvements to developments within the service area
which have generated development impact fees collected for roads, streets, bridges, including rights of
way, traffic signals, landscaping, or any local components of state or federal highways
; and

(ii) The proposed system improvements which will have the greatest effect on level of service for
roads, streets, bridges, including rights of way, traffic signals, landscaping, or any local components of
state or federal highways impacted by the developments which have paid such impact fees
Which is why we need a mayor who will dive into the General Fund and get away from that model. I did hear Mary Norwood talk about this exact issue at a Sunday Meet and Greet.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:46 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Which is why we need a mayor who will dive into the General Fund and get away from that model. I did hear Mary Norwood talk about this exact issue at a Sunday Meet and Greet.
It's been a thorn in the side of Atlanta politics for many years. The whole concept of development impact fees is to, well, alleviate the impact of developments.

Instead the city treats them as more dollars to toss into the general fund and spend as it it sees fit.

Large areas of the city were exempt from impact fees, although they often received them. Areas that paid in often got little or no return.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:22 PM

http://www.threadatl.org/2017/08/04/...about-streets/

Perhaps the state is to blame more than the city. Great article!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
I just got home from a 9500 mile road-trip across the US. I'm loving this sweet southern blacktop.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafrog View Post
i just got home from a 9500 mile road-trip across the us. I'm loving this sweet southern blacktop.
Lol Welcome back home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta