Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,485,578 times

Advertisements

I find the whole "Blacks need to get an education or lose their land" thing very interesting. It has been mentioned quite a bit here in many subliminal and blatant ways. Do you non Blacks really think most of us Black people are not educated? Serious question. Is this what you really think about us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:33 AM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I find the whole "Blacks need to get an education or lose their land" thing very interesting. It has been mentioned quite a bit here in many subliminal and blatant ways. Do you non Blacks really think most of us Black people are not educated? Serious question. Is this what you really think about us?
I can only speak for myself. No, absolutely not.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=72

Old 02-22-2017, 07:53 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,339,299 times
Quote:
It has been pointed out in this thread many times that if you are renting you are at a disadvantage. It doesn't matter if you are Black, White, Pink, Green, or Purple. Owning your own home/condo/townhouse gives you a leg up. Even if you suddenly can't pay the property taxes you have the ability to sell and take your money elsewhere. Renters are not afforded that luxury. This isn't as much of a Black/White issue as some are trying to make it. Displacement impacts people who rent much more so than people who own.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,402,784 times
Quote:
Do you non Blacks really think most of us Black people are not educated? Serious question. Is this what you really think about us?
Nope.
Not at all.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,089,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So what about AA professionals, can they not gentrify an area too?
It's a little harder to be honest CQ. Even in our best areas we still lack a lot of the amenities that white areas have, which in turn makes the area more desirable and expensive. perfect example is the Publix at Cascade. The stuff the folks in that area went thru just to get that store to open there is aggregious. Especially when I see Publix stores in other mostly white areas of the metro that aren't even as nice as that part of Cascade

Old 02-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah the innuendos and shade is rampant in this thread. Been lurking since it started and most of the people who have commented in this thread don't even live in COA and I'll go out on a limb and say a good bit don't even know any Black people in real life outside of a casual workplace demo. I could care less what these people think. My family owns property in Atlanta from the Defoors area in West Midtown to Adamsville, and that's just COA. Pops got a house in College Park behind World Changers and some land out in Convington too. I own a house in Charlotte and I just closed on a house in Gary Indiana a few months ago, and I'm actively looking to buy something here in COA. I don't have a 9-5, I work with my family to further our lot in life so one day when I have kids, if they screw up a little bit like I did back in the day they'll still be good. Can't pass a job to my seeds, I'm all about leaving something for future generations to build on. And that's what my parents ingrained in me from an early age and I will pass that knowledge down as well. I'm an only child and my folks always said that whatever happens to them that I SHOULD NEVER sell what they have passed down to me. And we was pretty middle of the road actually, there are a bunch of other families that note well off than mine that are on the same stuff. Good luck to them trying to make Atlanta white. Our community here has a lot of the same problems that plague my people from coast to coast, but we also have probably the most money driven and hustle minded Black community here in any city that's not NY, DC or Detroit

Old 02-22-2017, 08:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
It's a little harder to be honest CQ. Even in our best areas we still lack a lot of the amenities that white areas have, which in turn makes the area more desirable and expensive. perfect example is the Publix at Cascade. The stuff the folks in that area went thru just to get that store to open there is aggregious. Especially when I see Publix stores in other mostly white areas of the metro that aren't even as nice as that part of Cascade
That is an issue with retailers. Look at all now-gentrified neighborhoods south of DeKalb Ave (Grant park, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, East Lake, etc.) Kroger was the only national grocer that would setup in these areas too. It was not until East Lake Foundation and Cousins made concessions to Publix that a store was built at Glennwood Dr.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is an issue with retailers. Look at all now-gentrified neighborhoods south of DeKalb Ave (Grant park, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, East Lake, etc.) Kroger was the only national grocer that would setup in these areas too. It was not until East Lake Foundation and Cousins made concessions to Publix that a store was built at Glennwood Dr.
I don't think concessions even worked for the one on Cascade. This may not be true but I remember hearing that a group led by Andy Young threatened to sue Publix, and they basically got dragged tooth and nail into opening that store. It that's true, it shouldn't have to take that. That part of Cascade has some money, the houses over there blow a lot of the stuff you see in other areas in the metro that I won't mention here out of the water

Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
I don't think concessions even worked for the one on Cascade. This may not be true but I remember hearing that a group led by Andy Young threatened to sue Publix, and they basically got dragged tooth and nail into opening that store. It that's true, it shouldn't have to take that. That part of Cascade has some money, the houses over there blow a lot of the stuff you see in other areas in the metro that I won't mention here out of the water
I do not doubt it, having worked for Publix in the past.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:07 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,302,328 times
Point is, you can claim it is"retailers fault" but local governments always cater to these retailers to incentive them to come to white areas or areas they think will gentrify ( and likely turn white). So if it is all about money we should be seeing similar patterns of development and business based on income regardless of race and that isn't the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta