Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 02:05 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
See the linked Social Security Administration report. While it is a national report and does not highlight any particular city, it does bear out the huge discrepancy in wealth that whites have over other ethnic groups. I would imagine that Atlanta is little to no different.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v64n4/v64n4p1.html
They did not include Asians. I am sure that data would show that it isn't just whites, as Asians have been very successful since coming to America.

I don't think anyone denies that white people, as a whole, have higher incomes and wealth when compared to black and Hispanic families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
They did not include Asians. I am sure that data would show that it isn't just whites, as Asians have been very successful since coming to America.

I don't think anyone denies that white people, as a whole, have higher incomes and wealth when compared to black and Hispanic families.
Asians are only 5% so they're not a signficant population yet especially in Atlanta. Atlanta is a mostly black and white city. We're not talking about LA or SF or specifically Vancouver where the white natives complain about the Chinese moving in and driving up prices(which ultimately made Vancouver pass a housing tax on foreigners).

City of Atlanta has one of the highest discrepancies between Blacks and Whites in the entire country when it comes to household median income. Only SF and DC is worst.

Source

80k for Whites and 27k for Blacks. Even Asians that live in the city only have a 46k HH income.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Asians are only 5% so they're not a signficant population yet especially in Atlanta. Atlanta is a mostly black and white city. We're not talking about LA or SF or specifically Vancouver where the white natives complain about the Chinese moving in and driving up prices(which ultimately made Vancouver pass a housing tax on foreigners).

City of Atlanta has one of the highest discrepancies between Blacks and Whites in the entire country when it comes to household median income. Only SF and DC is worst.

Source

80k for Whites and 27k for Blacks. Even Asians that live in the city only have a 46k HH income.
WOW maybe I shut up and be a good boy. Only 27k? That not even fair. That's for the source.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:19 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
America's Affordable Housing Shortage, Mapped :
For every 100 poor families in Georgia, there are only 38 affordable units available.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

Source

I guess white people are to blame for making money? Is the thought really that all of us successful white people are just out there purposely keeping black people down? It's in EVERYONES interest that black people succeed. It would lead to lower crime in the city and increase the tax base. No one wants black people to be poor. And the success of white people doesn't effect black people's, it's their own choice. My going to college, getting an advanced degree, and taking a high paying job did not come at the expense of a black person. Nor did my buying a house for sell in the city "push out" a black person.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:14 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,479 times
Quote:
I guess white people are to blame for making money? Is the thought really that all of us successful white people are just out there purposely keeping black people down? It's in EVERYONES interest that black people succeed. It would lead to lower crime in the city and increase the tax base. No one wants black people to be poor. And the success of white people doesn't effect black people's, it's their own choice. My going to college, getting an advanced degree, and taking a high paying job did not come at the expense of a black person. Nor did my buying a house for sell in the city "push out" a black person.
Capitalism requires there be a underclass in order to flip your burgers and clean your hotel rooms. So everyone can't have high paying office jobs.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:04 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Capitalism requires there be a underclass in order to flip your burgers and clean your hotel rooms. So everyone can't have high paying office jobs.
Oh you poor thing...

Old 03-04-2017, 09:42 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
The point is cities like Houston or Seattle or even San Jose surprisingly enough have blacks more closer to parity wih whites than a city like Atlanta. For some reason or another, Atlanta and DC are called black meccas, yet the whites that live in these cities have among the highest incomes in the country and the blacks are among the poorest.

EDIT: And there's a lot of people who don't want blacks to succeed....why else did Jim Crow exist in the first place?

Old 03-04-2017, 09:51 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I Agree with this and have been saying this for sometime. Seems as though all of the Culture in the area is located outside the City Proper, mainly on the Buford Hwy corridor and up through Gwinnett County. It would have been great to see this Type of identity in City, but it's just not there. Not sure if it has to do with the newness of the City, the fact its still just a deep south Georgia city at heart, no matter how much we cover it in Makeup or making it out to be something that its not, an Up North/ Midwest big City or even a New Orleans type city, with a whole different level of culture. I often long for Atlanta to have that Feeling and at that point I would know the City has truly Arrived. I actually search for it and the closes I have found is may be, just may be Midtown or little 5 points. Me personally don't mind some of the Gentrification, just to diversify the City just a tad bit, not too much because if you look at it, Atlanta does have some sense of identity, even if its in some of our grittiest of neighborhoods. If you take away too much of that by tearing down old homes, and pushing out too much of that Culture all will be lost. Maybe we have been looking at it all the wrong way anyway. Maybe that unique feeling Atlanta has is in its black old school Southern Neighbors from back in the day that has been disappearing. Maybe that's what Atlanta needs to do is imbrace it's True Southern Heritage while pursuing Gentrification in a responsible manner. We have to remember we aren't a New York, Chicago, LA, etc. and we need to stop expecting Atlanta to be that. It's history has a Great deal to do with the Civil rights movement, Southern Blacks & Whites. I'm guilty of that as well. It's still a Deep South City, "Progressive but Deep South City" and to be honest that's not a bad thing. It actually makes the Deep South look good. What we do need to do as Georgians, or American Citizens as a whole is Unite and really stop making it out to be an US vs. THEM type situation. Even though what i'm saying may be pointless and has been said for decades and decades, we can get a lot further helping each other as the human race instead of going by Race. Let's go by character.
White people have lost their culture at least in Atlanta. New Orleans has very vibrant white culture (and black culture). There is a very vibrant culture in the South outside of race-based discrimination. It's the city has chosen to ignore it and act as if it does not exist.

My own very white ancestry is Scots-Irish from the north Georgia/western NC mountains. But it isn't acceptable for white people to have a sense of ethnic identity at least in much of the south.

I've traveled quite a bit, and I am currently living in Scotland for the time being. Atlanta's blandness (and the traffic) are reasons I am hesitant to return. Atlanta worked so hard to be a non-southern city, it has little evidence of any type of culture that I identify with (and my family has lived in the south dating back to before the Revolutionary War).

Old 03-05-2017, 11:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
It's in EVERYONES interest that black people succeed....to a certain extent. It would lead to lower crime in the city and increase the tax base. No one wants black people to be poor. And the success of white people does effect black people. My going to college, getting an advanced degree, and taking a high paying job did not come at the expense of a black person. Nor did my buying a house for sell in the city "push out" a black person.
If you were black and made the exact choices your white self made you would see that high paying job may NOT be available for you as expected. You would get a job or career, but it would not be what you get now. It would take you longer to pay back your student loans, which would effect your credit rating. You buying your dream home may not have pushed out a black person out, but if you were a first time buyer you would see getting what you want would be more difficult. Not impossible just more difficult. Most whites don't want blacks totally poor as dirt, but whites and blacks are very uncomfortable when blacks have what they deem as too much success. They want blacks to stay in their place. Whites like to establish a "glass ceiling" when it comes to black success. This glass can be shattered and has been in a few exceptions. The problem is this glass ceiling should never exist. I wish you Forhall could be a black male from the age of 18 -30 to see what I am referring to, but you are white and privileged so you will never get it. You are wasting time even debating this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta