Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 11:29 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times

Advertisements

Not so sure the Blacks are moving against their will. The land is changing value. Important for the developers who have their eye on the land for shopping, rental apartments, or townhouses . When you can't expand out, you expand inwardly. That's in my opinion is what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:45 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The existing white population, CHOOSE to move.
For good reason- it was not a difficult choice.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Douglas County is another example. Douglas County was 76 percent White in 2000. It is now 46 percent White. Henry County was 80 percent White in 2000. Now it's 49 percent White. But here is the thing. No one is being "pushed out". People are choosing to leave.

Georgia counties shift from majority white
Choosing to leave "for a VERY good reason" you might have added.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Depends on what you mean by "pushed out". Many people choose to leave. I'm not that far from Douglas County. Quite a few people speak of Douglas County as if it's gone down hill. Many people who leave have the money to stay, but would rather go elsewhere.
I've had several relatives move out of Douglas Co because it is getting more dangerous. Unfortunately, my daughter currently lives there. Crossing over I-20 on highway 92N, it looks like "welcome to thugville".

Old 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I've had several relatives move out of Douglas Co because it is getting more dangerous. Unfortunately, my daughter currently lives there. Crossing over I-20 on highway 92N, it looks like "welcome to thugville".
Hmm, could this be a result of the gentrification that's taking place in the city itself? People always say gentrification is good for the areas, but where do the former residents? They have to go somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not so sure the Blacks are moving against their will. The land is changing value. Important for the developers who have their eye on the land for shopping, rental apartments, or townhouses . When you can't expand out, you expand inwardly. That's in my opinion is what is going on.
Most inner city blacks in Atlanta are renters anyway so they aren't getting any equity. That's how it's so easy to displace them. The property sells the property and evicts the tenants.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
I always figured the worst part of Douglasville was near the railroad tracks, close to he projects/Fairburn Road.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekman243 View Post
Especially with the trees not in bloom you can see everything. I don't understand it either, I have been in Atlanta for only 9 months and after listening to people on here I decided to explore. I came off 285 south at Cascade made a left drove all the way down(saw some beautiful homes) to Turner field and then drove downtown thru five points all I was African Americans. Everyone told me next time turn right on Cascade off 258 and then you will really see something. So my question is why do some on here act as though these areas in Atlanta don't count.
South Fulton is NOT Atlanta, That is why they dont count as Atlanta because Atlanta they are not.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
South Fulton is NOT Atlanta, That is why they dont count as Atlanta because Atlanta they are not.
So sorry... it really is just a coincidence that I'm reply to you again. You really do have great commentary. BUT... the poster you are replying to drove up Cascade/RDA from 285 travelling east all the way to Turner Field and into downtown. Almost as soon as you cross inside 285 on Cascade, you are officially in the City of Atlanta. What you are saying is true about South Fulton, but I think they are asking why people act like actual sections of the City of Atlanta (particularly SW Atlanta) don't count.

See what I mean: Atlanta Neighborhoods | Atlanta Intown Real Estate

Just sayin'

Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Choosing to leave "for a VERY good reason" you might have added.
What reason is that?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I always figured the worst part of Douglasville was near the railroad tracks, close to he projects/Fairburn Road.
You are correct. What I meant was that things change drastically on the north side of I-20 on Hwy 92, but yes- it gets even worse across the tracks. Many years ago I was a Probation Officer in Douglas Co. My area was across the tracks, and it was awful- projects, and run down mobile home parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta