Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 01:07 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am very much aware of West End and its history of white flight (your reference to whitest of the white lol) in the mid 20th century.

Also I already mentioned the fact that most of the black people who are leaving the inner cities they want to do so and that if those black people don't want gentrification to occur they need not sell their black grandparent's house in West End. A lot of them do own those homes today and IMO it is not worth complaining about people "pushing" them out. They are leaving voluntarily.

But FWIW, I wouldn't want to re-enforce decades old segregation policies. West End was a "white" (whitest of the white) neighborhood because of legalized, enforced, segregation in the City of Atlanta. Reynoldstown was a "black" neighborhood for the same reason. They were only allowed to live in certain neighborhoods. It was a form of apartheid basically.

IMO gentrification is a natural thing to occur. Studies show also that white flight is a natural thing that occurs in neighborhoods when a certain percentage of one particular minority group moves to those neighborhoods. They don't leave because they are priced out. They leave because they don't want to live around or have their kids go to school with "too many" _______ (insert minority group).

Both of you should read the link I posted. It was about metro Atlant and the white flight occurring in John's Creek due to too many Asians moving in.

Is it both of your opinions that those white families leaving who are moving to similar subdivisions in Forsyth county have been "priced out" of John's Creek....?

Most of the time when white flight occurs those families move to similar income neighborhoods that are majority white.

They are not "priced out." They move to whiter neighborhoods with similar income demographics as the one they left.

Not sure why you are being defensive about it or trying to deflect with Asians.

Fact of the matter is that blacks, Latinos and Asians are more than willing, much moreso willing than whites in a reverse scenario, to move to a predominantly white neighborhood. But if "too many" of them move there then the whites will leave. That is an historic truth.

And FWIW I also think it is natural for people to want to live amongst "their own" but to act like white flight is not based on this and instead is based on whites being "priced out" is really silly.
You seem to not understand that John's Creek and California are two distinct different issues. They are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 01:11 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I am so glad someone has finally mentioned Johns Creek and not just the suburbs in California. Everyone participating in this thread needs to read the Johns Creek article that you posted at the top.
That was an interesting article to read. Our neighborhood has experienced a large influx of Asian residents. Unfortunately, I know more than a few white folks who have moved out or want to move out because of this. It's pretty pathetic, really.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
That was an interesting article to read. Our neighborhood has experienced a large influx of Asian residents. Unfortunately, I know more than a few white folks who have moved out or want to move out because of this. It's pretty pathetic, really.

Yes, the same phenomenon that happened in the Northview High Cluster is now starting to happen in the Lambert High Cluster in Forsyth County.

I think the West Forsyth High Cluster is where those people will fly to next. Also, to the North Forsyth High Cluster.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, they same phenomenon that happened in the Northview High Cluster is now starting to happen in the Lambert High Cluster in Forsyth County.

I think the West Forsyth High Cluster is where those people will fly to next. Also, to the North Forsyth High Cluster.
Then when all else fails.....RUSSIA!!!

Old 03-14-2017, 01:38 PM

290 posts, read 313,060 times
Whats sad about this is that these same people will decide which schools are "good" and which are "bad" based on their kids no longer attending them.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I am very much aware of West End and its history of white flight (your reference to whitest of the white lol) in the mid 20th century.

Also I already mentioned the fact that most of the black people who are leaving the inner cities they want to do so and that if those black people don't want gentrification to occur they need not sell their black grandparent's house in West End. A lot of them do own those homes today and IMO it is not worth complaining about people "pushing" them out. They are leaving voluntarily.

But FWIW, I wouldn't want to re-enforce decades old segregation policies. West End was a "white" (whitest of the white) neighborhood because of legalized, enforced, segregation in the City of Atlanta. Reynoldstown was a "black" neighborhood for the same reason. They were only allowed to live in certain neighborhoods. It was a form of apartheid basically.

IMO gentrification is a natural thing to occur. Studies show also that white flight is a natural thing that occurs in neighborhoods when a certain percentage of one particular minority group moves to those neighborhoods. They don't leave because they are priced out. They leave because they don't want to live around or have their kids go to school with "too many" _______ (insert minority group).

Both of you should read the link I posted. It was about metro Atlant and the white flight occurring in John's Creek due to too many Asians moving in.

Is it both of your opinions that those white families leaving who are moving to similar subdivisions in Forsyth county have been "priced out" of John's Creek....?

Most of the time when white flight occurs those families move to similar income neighborhoods that are majority white.

They are not "priced out." They move to whiter neighborhoods with similar income demographics as the one they left.

Not sure why you are being defensive about it or trying to deflect with Asians.

Fact of the matter is that blacks, Latinos and Asians are more than willing, much moreso willing than whites in a reverse scenario, to move to a predominantly white neighborhood. But if "too many" of them move there then the whites will leave. That is an historic truth.

And FWIW I also think it is natural for people to want to live amongst "their own" but to act like white flight is not based on this and instead is based on whites being "priced out" is really silly.
Some whites are priced out, and some choose to leave to be with their own. I'm not sure why there is this unrealistic expectation that white people have to be the most accepting of all cultures or they're racists, while everyone else gets a free pass. I see Koreans living only in Korean communities, going to korean churches, eating at korean restaraunts. I see the same with blacks. I see people from different countries move to America and ask "Which city should I move to where there will be the most people like me?" It's human nature. People like to be around people with shared experiences, and ALL races do it. Yet no one is ever called out for it except white people. If a white person decides they want to move to a nearby town with a higher white percentage because that's the social networks they travel in, and that's who understands them the most, then they have that right. They shouldn't be called racist for doing exactly what every other race does.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This process angers me to no end. I hope (and think) "white flight" will largely subside as mine and younger generations get around to buying houses.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You seem to not understand that John's Creek and California are two distinct different issues. They are not the same.
They are not different.

White flight is the same all over the country. There are way more wealthy whites in California than wealthy Asians. Asians actually have pretty high poverty rates in California. Just like John's Creek, most of the whites who left Cupertino and other now majority Asian communities in CA, those whites moved to similar, more white neighborhoods. They did not move to poorer areas.

Again, I worked in housing for many years and am very aware of how gentrification and white flight occurs due to reporting that tracks trends in housing patterns. People come up with various ideas for how to stop both from causing negative effects. IMO again, both are natural at the present time. However, they don't happen as often and with as much frequency as they used to and so I am of a similar mindset to tikigod311 and am hoping that our younger, more tolerant generations today and in the future won't continue along the same paths in these regards as the older generations.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Some whites are priced out, and some choose to leave to be with their own. I'm not sure why there is this unrealistic expectation that white people have to be the most accepting of all cultures or they're racists, while everyone else gets a free pass. I see Koreans living only in Korean communities, going to korean churches, eating at korean restaraunts. I see the same with blacks. I see people from different countries move to America and ask "Which city should I move to where there will be the most people like me?" It's human nature. People like to be around people with shared experiences, and ALL races do it. Yet no one is ever called out for it except white people. If a white person decides they want to move to a nearby town with a higher white percentage because that's the social networks they travel in, and that's who understands them the most, then they have that right. They shouldn't be called racist for doing exactly what every other race does.
Again...sigh...I have stated that this is natural for people to want to live around people who are like them. No one is saying all whites are racist or have to be accepting of "all cultures." However, I will note, that in America the dominant culture of all our ethnic groups is American culture and so whites should be okay living around any Americans of any ethnicity just like Asian Americans, Latinos and black Americans should also be okay with living around any other Americans.

There is no reason for you to get defensive about it.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Tell me if I am mistaken, but IF people moved from the SUPER affluent South Forsyth/ North Fulton on the prestigious shores of Lake Lanier to rural/exurban North Forsyth, wouldn't they be in fact moving to a MUCH "poorer" district with a less robust academic record. All of this IS lost on me. After all, I have been sitting here in beautiful Clayton County for four decades enjoying my neighbors as they come (and most have been quite nice)raising my family and responding to unfair barbs from the uninformed as they come. Remember folks: "content of their character";0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta