Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 6,375 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking of moving from NYC to GA in the summer of next year. Our plan is to save 200k and husband will find a job in healthcare before we leave. I know its a bit far into the future but we plan on making several trips to Georgia to ensure that it is the right move for us.

Our first trip is scheduled for the end of next month. We are looking for safe neighborhoods close to great hospitals (we are looking at Emory) and we understand the live where you work concept to avoid traffic. Good school district as we have a toddler and another on the way. Our plan is to rent first and then buy a home after moving.

So my question, what is the best way to explore during our visits to see if it will be a good fit? Must do things? Areas to visit? What should we be looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 04:17 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I'd say the Buckhead/Brookhaven area of town kind of puts you near all the prestigious hospital clusters.

The main 2 healthcare clusters are the Druid Hills area (Emory/CDC/Egleston), and the 'Pill Hill' area, which is Northside Hospital, St. Joseph's, and Scottish Rite.

Then there's also Piedmont Hospital in the south part of Buckhead towards Midtown, and Grady Hospital in Downtown.

Ability to afford a home in the best areas and neighborhoods is obviously going to depend on your income to debt, and credit and down payment ability and all that. But I would probably explore neighborhoods around North Druid Hills as a starting point, then go from there. And you will have lots of nice apartments to choose from for that first year or so here. I highly agree with not buying immediately, rent for at least a year while you explore and get a feel for everything.

Usually NYC transplants are probably going to appreciate the city inside 285 (ITP) more. With that said, there are suburban communities outside of 285 (OTP) which might also be a good fit for you, such as Tucker and Dunwoody. But if what you're interested in is something more hip and urban, you could look at in-town neighborhoods like Inman Park and Kirkwood. There are a few spots that will usually surprise and impress a NYC person, like North Highland Avenue right off the Beltline.

As far as checking out the city, you'll want to explore Midtown, and Piedmont Park which is the closest thing we have to Central Park. Check out Downtown Decatur, and Ponce City Market and the BeltLine. Other than city stuff, Stone Mountain Park on the east side, and the trails on the Chattahoochee River on the westside, particularly in Vinings and up in Roswell.

Those are just a few suggestions for you.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Id check out a sightseeing bus tour

Atlanta Tours and Sightseeing Atlanta Sightseeing Bus Tours

Old 02-22-2017, 06:32 PM

25 posts, read 22,151 times
I moved from Brooklyn in Sept of 2015 to Cabbagetown and I absolutely love it here. Many parts of the East side might work for you since it's a fairly straight shot out to Decatur from here.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 AM

primaltech- thank you for your detailed response. You have certainly given us enough information to start our in person research.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. We were thinking of doing that as well.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisteringherb View Post
I moved from Brooklyn in Sept of 2015 to Cabbagetown and I absolutely love it here. Many parts of the East side might work for you since it's a fairly straight shot out to Decatur from here.
Area noted! I am so happy to hear that you still love it after moving. Sometimes I read the feedback from other folks who moved and it is downright scary.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:39 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
If you are looking intown, I would drive through the school zones you would most be interested in --my guesses would be all of the city of Decatur, Grady High (Lin, SPARK and Morningside Elementaries), and parts of North Atlanta High (not sure of which elementary schools), and maybe Lakeside HS and Druid Hills --less expensive basic older detached homes with a small yard will probably run about $500K in those areas, and go up from there. You can get a very nice home for much less than that with good schools in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta