Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 08:11 AM

49 posts, read 47,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Maybe i missed it, but is there a reason you aren't considering locations closer to your employers?

If you don't currently spend 2 hours per day in your cars it might sound less soul sucking than maybe it will be once you are stuck doing it every day.
The main reason is the quality of schools. We have a child in elementary school, so we are looking for safe, family friendly areas that are in very good school districts. We are planning to rent again for about a year and then buy a home. I'm currently renting in the Dunwoody area (my spouse and daughter will be joining me soon...this lease ends in June...so we will be looking to move to another area). Although the elementary schools in this area tend to have favorable reviews/ratings, the ratings/reviews for the middle and high schools in the area tend to be more mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan_T View Post
The main reason is the quality of schools. We have a child in elementary school, so we are looking for safe, family friendly areas that are in very good school districts. We are planning to rent again for about a year and then buy a home. I'm currently renting in the Dunwoody area (my spouse and daughter will be joining me soon...this lease ends in June...so we will be looking to move to another area). Although the elementary schools in this area tend to have favorable reviews/ratings, the ratings/reviews for the middle and high schools in the area tend to be more mixed.

Considering what whodean said and your criteria/needs, the Snellville/Lilburn Area (Parkview and Brookwood Clusters) is ideal for you and your family.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:50 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,082 times
Quote:
Have you considered Montgomery Elementary?

https://schoolgrades.georgia.gov/mon...mentary-school

Old 02-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Have you considered Montgomery Elementary?

https://schoolgrades.georgia.gov/mon...mentary-school

Good info for the OP.

Based on the link:

Montgomery Elementary: B

In the Parkview/Brookwood Clusters...

Camp Creek Elementary: A
Arcado Elementary: A
Knight Elementary: B
Mountain Park Elementary: B
Head Elementary: A
Brookwood Elementary: A
Gwin Oaks Elementary: A
Craig Elementary: A

Old 02-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the additional feedback. Overall, the Montgomery cluster seems to receive some mixed reviews. We are looking to move into a cluster that we can stay in for the duration of the school years (from elementary to high school).

I did go back to the Snellville subdivision today. It was actually a good visit. I took I-285 to I-85 North on my way there. I took US-78 to I-285 on my way back. Overall, it wasn't bad...granted, I know it will be very different during rush hour commute times, but it seemed as if it could be a tolerable commute. I did meet a gentleman that has lived in the subdivision since November. He really likes it. He immediately asked if I had kids. When I told him that I had a child in elementary school, he told me that the schools in the area are excellent. He said that the schools were one of the main reasons he moved there. He has a child in elementary school and a child in middle school. He spoke very highly of the schools. And, he is a teacher in another county.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional feedback. Overall, the Montgomery cluster seems to receive some mixed reviews. We are looking to move into a cluster that we can stay in for the duration of the school years (from elementary to high school).

I did go back to the Snellville subdivision today. It was actually a good visit. I took I-285 to I-85 North on my way there. I took US-78 to I-285 on my way back. Overall, it wasn't bad...granted, I know it will be very different during rush hour commute times, but it seemed as if it could be a tolerable commute. I did meet a gentleman that has lived in the subdivision since November. He really likes it. He immediately asked if I had kids. When I told him that I had a child in elementary school, he told me that the schools in the area are excellent. He said that the schools were one of the main reasons he moved there. He has a child in elementary school and a child in middle school. He spoke very highly of the schools. And, he is a teacher in another county.

Will you be working at Emory or Perimeter?

Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Will you be working at Emory or Perimeter?
I will be working at Perimeter. I will be the one who will drop off our daughter in the mornings at school or early care. I don't know if I or my husband will pick her up in the afternoons. She will be enrolled in after school care, so one of us will have to pick her up by 6 or before, depending on the after school program hours.

ETA: I am currently renting in the Perimeter area now...so my drive today was Perimeter area to/from Snellville.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
What hours will you be working? Cause the commute will suck. Especially in the afternoon. But it's more tolerable if you aren't doing 9-5.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I will be working at Perimeter. I will be the one who will drop off our daughter in the mornings at school or early care. I don't know if I or my husband will pick her up in the afternoons. She will be enrolled in after school care, so one of us will have to pick her up by 6 or before, depending on the after school program hours.

ETA: I am currently renting in the Perimeter area now...so my drive today was Perimeter area to/from Snellville.

For some reason, I thought you would be working in the Emory Area. In that case, do not look in the Snellville/Lilburn/Brookwood/Parkview Area. Scratch it off your list.

If you will be working at Perimeter and based on your other criteria/needs, I recommend that you look in the following areas:

East Cobb
Roswell
Southern Alpharetta
Western Johns Creek

In East Cobb, look in the Pope and Walton clusters.

In Roswell, look in the Roswell, Centennial, and Milton clusters.

In Southern Alpharetta, look in the Centennial, Milton, and Alpharetta clusters.

In Western Johns Creek, look in the Centennial and Johns Creek clusters.

Your best bets based on everything? The following clusters: Roswell, Pope, Centennial, Walton

Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
What hours will you be working? Cause the commute will suck. Especially in the afternoon. But it's more tolerable if you aren't doing 9-5.
My spouse's hours, who will be commuting near Emory, will be 7am-3:30pm.

My hours (I will be commuting to Perimeter Center area) will be somewhat flexible...but will usually be after I drop off my daughter to school/early care and then around 4 or so in the afternoon...so prime rush hour times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta