U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 PM

49 posts, read 34,505 times

Advertisements

I decided to start a new thread since I couldn’t edit my previous post. I have updated commute info.

Commute 1 – Perimeter Center area (possibly WFH 1 day a week)
Commute 2 – Near Emory University

I’ve been checking out rental properties in Johns Creek/Alpharetta areas…but would like some feedback if there are other areas that I should also consider.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
We are looking to rent a Townhouse or Single Family Home in a safe, family friendly area with great schools. We would like to rent for a year…and then buy a single family home, preferably in the same area (school district) where we are renting. We would like to buy in a community setting with amenities such as a clubhouse and pool.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Commute 2 – Near Emory University (Tentative work hours – 7am – 3:30pm)

4. Children(public school vs. private)
Yes, 1 child in elementary school. Would prefer public school…would like an area that has very good
elementary, middle, and high schools. We would also prefer an area that has a high percentage of
students moving from the (zoned) elementary to the (zoned) middle and from the (zoned) middle to
the (zoned) high school.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Prefer a bit of a mix. Like the suburban lifestyle, but still like to be close to dining, shopping, activities.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
We each have vehicles…but having access to public transit would be a nice to have. I could actually
take the train to the Perimeter center area if convenient enough.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
We really want a diverse, safe, family friendly area with great schools and access to shopping, dining,
and activities.

Here are a few properties that I’ve found on realtor.com. I’m still in the process of checking out the assigned schools for each, as well as the commute times.

7067 Walham Grv, Johns Creek, GA 30097 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

10745 Morton Chase Way, Johns Creek, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

4905 Hudson Sq, Johns Creek, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

11619 Davenport Ln, Johns Creek, GA 30005 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

10540 Windsor Park Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

13360 Canary Ln, Milton, GA 30004 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

7560 Jamestown Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30005 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 08:56 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,308,107 times
Look in areas near your job like Dunwoody and Sandy Springs.

Also look in areas like Peachtree Corners and the Parkview and Brookwood clusters of Gwinnett County that will provide the both of you with decent access to your jobs in the Perimeter Center and Emory University areas.

You can also look in ITP areas like Brookhaven, Chamblee and the Lakeside cluster of the DeKalb County school system that would provide the both of you with good access to your jobs in the Perimeter Center and Emory University areas....Though, you might have to forgo such amenities like a clubhouse and a community pool if you elected to purchase a home in ITP areas like Brookhaven, Chamblee and Lakeside.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM

Thanks Born 2 Roll. With the exception of Parkview and Brookwood, the other areas seem to have so so schools mixed in with higher rated schools within the same cluster. With Dunwoody, for example, there are several elementary schools in the area that are often recommended. However, when it comes to the middle and high schools, the reviews tend to be mixed.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 PM

14,794 posts, read 23,698,412 times
Chan_T,

Based on your criteria and needs, I recommend the Parkview Cluster or Brookwood Cluster in Gwinnett County.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan_T View Post

I decided to start a new thread since I couldn’t edit my previous post. I have updated commute info.

Commute 2 – Near Emory University

I’ve been checking out rental properties in Johns Creek/Alpharetta areas…but would like some feedback if there are other areas that I should also consider.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
We are looking to rent a Townhouse or Single Family Home in a safe, family friendly area with great schools. We would like to rent for a year…and then buy a single family home, preferably in the same area (school district) where we are renting. We would like to buy in a community setting with amenities such as a clubhouse and pool.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Commute 2 – Near Emory University (Tentative work hours – 7am – 3:30pm)

4. Children(public school vs. private)
Yes, 1 child in elementary school. Would prefer public school…would like an area that has very good
elementary, middle, and high schools. We would also prefer an area that has a high percentage of
students moving from the (zoned) elementary to the (zoned) middle and from the (zoned) middle to
the (zoned) high school.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Prefer a bit of a mix. Like the suburban lifestyle, but still like to be close to dining, shopping, activities.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
We each have vehicles…but having access to public transit would be a nice to have. I could actually
take the train to the Perimeter center area if convenient enough.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
We really want a diverse, safe, family friendly area with great schools and access to shopping, dining,
and activities.

Here are a few properties that I’ve found on realtor.com. I’m still in the process of checking out the assigned schools for each, as well as the commute times.

7067 Walham Grv, Johns Creek, GA 30097 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

10745 Morton Chase Way, Johns Creek, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

4905 Hudson Sq, Johns Creek, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

11619 Davenport Ln, Johns Creek, GA 30005 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

10540 Windsor Park Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30022 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

13360 Canary Ln, Milton, GA 30004 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

7560 Jamestown Dr, Alpharetta, GA 30005 - Home for Rent - realtor.com®

All of the addresses you listed are located in really good areas with a very high quality-of-life, excellent (if not exceptional) schools and good access to lots of amenities.

The only concern is that many (if not almost all) of the addresses you listed would seem to saddle you and your spouse with rush hour commutes to and from your job on often-congested routes like Georgia 400 and Georgia 141.

With a massive multi-year traffic congestion-generating reconstruction project ramping up at the already severely-congested Georgia 400/I-285 interchange, you might want to seriously consider the ramifications of any rush hour commutes that would require you and your spouse to use Georgia 400 through the I-285/GA 400 interchange on a consistent basis over the next few years.

Public transit likely will not be much of an option for rush hour commutes between the addresses you listed and your place of work in the Perimeter Center area....That's because the MARTA Red Line train only goes as far north as North Springs. If you wanted to utilize public transit the rest of the way, you would have to use MARTA park-and-ride buses that use the same Georgia 400 roadway (and sit in the same heavy-to-severe congestion) as the rest of the extremely heavy traffic along the severely-congested Georgia 400 corridor.

The lifestyle, the public schools and the amenities in the North Fulton (Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Milton) area are excellent, but the rush hour commutes to and from you and your spouse's jobs in the Perimeter Center and Emory University areas would be significantly challenging on many days along major Northside commuter routes like Georgia 141 and (ESPECIALLY) Georgia 400.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 PM

Thank you!
I will look more into the Parkview and Brookwood clusters of Gwinnett County since those are the areas that both of you have recommended. Are there family friendly amenities in those areas? I admit that I don't know much about Snellville and nearby areas...but I've always thought it was more rural/far away from amenities.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chan_T View Post
Thank you!
I will look more into the Parkview and Brookwood clusters of Gwinnett County since those are the areas that both of you have recommended. Are there family friendly amenities in those areas? I admit that I don't know much about Snellville and nearby areas...but I've always thought it was more rural/far away from amenities.
There are loads of retail amenities in the Snellville area located along about a three-mile stretch of the extremely heavily developed Georgia 124 (Scenic Highway) corridor between US Highway 78 (Main Street) and just north of Webb Gin House Road.

There are even more retail amenities located about between 6-10 miles to the east along US Highway 78 (Athens Highway) through the Loganville area.

There are also many excellent public recreational amenities in the Parkview/Brookwood area like Mountain Park, Bethesda Park, Ronald Reagan Park and Alexander Park.....That's in addition to a facility that is considered by many to be one of the greatest public recreational amenities in a large major metro area in the entire U.S. at the iconic and hugely popular Stone Mountain Park (and Stone Mountain Lake).

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM

14,794 posts, read 23,698,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
There are loads of retail amenities in the Snellville area located along about a three-mile stretch of the extremely heavily developed Georgia 124 (Scenic Highway) corridor between US Highway 78 (Main Street) and just north of Webb Gin House Road.

There are even more retail amenities located about between 6-10 miles to the east along US Highway 78 (Athens Highway) through the Loganville area.

There are also many excellent public recreational amenities in the Parkview/Brookwood area like Mountain Park, Bethesda Park, Ronald Reagan Park and Alexander Park.....That's in addition to a facility that is considered by many to be one of the greatest public recreational amenities in a large major metro area in the entire U.S. at the iconic and hugely popular Stone Mountain Park (and Stone Mountain Lake).
The Shoppes at Webb Gin :: Snellville, GA 30078

Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 PM

Thank you both! I will start looking into those areas, as I'm planning to venture out this weekend to start visiting some prospective areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or