Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well they are talking about BRT initially and the handout implies meeting cost-benefit standards for federal funding would be difficult until they build ridership.
I mean, the comments made are pretty vague. They could be talking about initially replacing the Heavy Rail route with a BRT line, or they could be talking about building out the already planned BRT route before the Heavy Rail line.

The second seems more likely to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
So can we talk about how that I-20 "BRT" line is trash. Garbage. That plan makes me lose confidence in MARTA.

A bus that travels in the HOV lane (with rush hour traffic), and then exits the freeway to make each stop, then re-enters the freeway? I mean, seriously?

Yeah, it will certainly be cheap, and quick to implement. Because it's a crap plan and a poor excuse for "rapid transit".

A proper freeway BRT system would have its stations in the median, like the Metro Silver Line in LA. And also I feel like it should have a better connection to Five Points, or should connect with a different station. Exiting the freeway at Capitol and then navigating the streets up to Five Points seems pretty silly to me. But whatever.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
So can we talk about how that I-20 "BRT" line is trash. Garbage. That plan makes me lose confidence in MARTA.

A bus that travels in the HOV lane (with rush hour traffic), and then exits the freeway to make each stop, then re-enters the freeway? I mean, seriously?

Yeah, it will certainly be cheap, and quick to implement. Because it's a crap plan and a poor excuse for "rapid transit".

A proper freeway BRT system would have its stations in the median, like the Metro Silver Line in LA. And also I feel like it should have a better connection to Five Points, or should connect with a different station. Exiting the freeway at Capitol and then navigating the streets up to Five Points seems pretty silly to me. But whatever.
That would take funding & cooperation between MARTA, SRTA, and GDOT. Not the best of allies.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM

So, I didn't realize it but MARTA also released a new Fall 2017 fact sheet for the I-20 East project as a whole, not just the TOD stuff.

Looks like MARTA wants to submit the final EIS to the FTA by 2019, and hear back with the Record of Decision before 2020. In the mean time, the agency is reevaluating its conclusions to include the planned HOT lanes along OTP I-20.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:41 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
So, I didn't realize it but MARTA also released a new Fall 2017 fact sheet for the I-20 East project as a whole, not just the TOD stuff.

Looks like MARTA wants to submit the final EIS to the FTA by 2019, and hear back with the Record of Decision before 2020. In the mean time, the agency is reevaluating its conclusions to include the planned HOT lanes along OTP I-20.
I've always been skeptical of the BRT inside 285. The 3 inner stations are not only close to the HRT line, they are close to the Beltline light rail proposals. The two outer stations, Gresham and Candler, would be better served by express or limited bus route(s). Wesley Chapel connects to the HRT proposal.

Now if they don't do HRT, it would still seem to be preferable to have park n ride instead of BRT, but at least it wouldn't be so duplicative.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've always been skeptical of the BRT inside 285. The 3 inner stations are not only close to the HRT line, they are close to the Beltline light rail proposals. The two outer stations, Gresham and Candler, would be better served by express or limited bus route(s). Wesley Chapel connects to the HRT proposal.

Now if they don't do HRT, it would still seem to be preferable to have park n ride instead of BRT, but at least it wouldn't be so duplicative.
I'm not so sure it's as duplicative as you say. Bill Kennedy & Moreland Avenue are at least 0.7 miles away from the nearest HRT station. The next three stations are both over a mile away from the nearest HRT or BeltLine station.

The route is also rather separated from the planned E-W BeltLine routes.

I will agree with Primal that the route needs to be real BRT, though, and not just in HOV lanes. I know that'd be more expensive, and complicated, but otherwise this really is already a limited bus route that you wanted anyway.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:05 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Or even if it runs in HOV lanes or shared managed lanes, that's probably fine, but it gets a grade 'F' from me because it has to exit the freeway and navigate surface streets to make its stop, then get back on the freeway. That's ridiculous.

I agree with bu2, they'd be better off with nonstop express shuttle bus routes in the HOV lane. Just a couple simple loop routes between Five Points and 2 park&ride bus stations along I-20 ITP.

Would be cheaper, too.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Or even if it runs in HOV lanes or shared managed lanes, that's probably fine, but it gets a grade 'F' from me because it has to exit the freeway and navigate surface streets to make its stop, then get back on the freeway. That's ridiculous.

I agree with bu2, they'd be better off with nonstop express shuttle bus routes in the HOV lane. Just a couple simple loop routes between Five Points and 2 park&ride bus stations along I-20 ITP.

Would be cheaper, too.
IMO, ITP areas need much more than just express services. Sure include a bit of a park & ride component, but higher frequency, continuous service along a proper route is very useful. Especially given the severe lack of it in SE Atlanta.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 PM
bu2

Quote:

Would be cheaper, too.
If that is what it is, its not going to be a whole lot faster than a simple regular bus route for the inner portion of the route.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I'm not so sure it's as duplicative as you say. Bill Kennedy & Moreland Avenue are at least 0.7 miles away from the nearest HRT station. The next three stations are both over a mile away from the nearest HRT or BeltLine station.

The route is also rather separated from the planned E-W BeltLine routes.

I will agree with Primal that the route needs to be real BRT, though, and not just in HOV lanes. I know that'd be more expensive, and complicated, but otherwise this really is already a limited bus route that you wanted anyway.
For high capacity transit, 1 mile seems pretty duplicative. You need volume and it would cannibalize what you already have. Its a lot of money for something that close to existing HRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta