Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:45 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
This is a handy tool set.

I might wonder about the extra system funding per school, though. That is, how much auxiliary funding, travel expenses, fundraisers, booster clubs, PTA budgets, special grants, etc.

Basically, is one of the reasons why lower income schools receive more funding, that the lower income ares can't support the school the same way that the more wealthy areas can from the outside.

Does anyone have any definitions of the various funding types? Some are self-explanatory, but some are a bit more vague for someone (like myself) not head-deep in the school funding specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Does this include subsidized lunches and non-education spending like that?

I am about to file this in the "see, more money doesn't fix the education problem" file. But I want to be fair about it as I actually want this problem solved rather than just confirm my suspicions.
There's a tab for nutrition spending, but it's 0 across the board, so I don't think that's the extent of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,846,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, there's that Atlanta Classical school and they also get a tremendous amount of competition from private schools.
True, but many families choose NAHS and Grady HS over the privates in many cases. After all, why pay money when you can get a comparable education for free? This is not the case in other APS clusters regarding charters and private schools. Jackson is just now starting to compete with the charters, but every other Cluster is pretty much drained dry of talent, resources, and enrollment due to active parents flocking to charter and/or private schools.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:19 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,210 times
As far as elementary schools go, the "wealthy" schools are not going to get Title 1 funds, and the poor schools will--but, I think this will show up mostly in the elementary schools--with the exception of Inman Middle my guess is all of Atlanta's middle and high schools are title 1. I don't know how much of the expenditures might be one time expenditures (renovations maybe?). Beyond that I agre that the size of the school probably has an effect on costs/efficiency. Also note that the default selection for the map is "general fund" --you can choose "select all" and then "apply" to include all sources of funding.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
As far as elementary schools go, the "wealthy" schools are not going to get Title 1 funds, and the poor schools will--but, I think this will show up mostly in the elementary schools--with the exception of Inman Middle my guess is all of Atlanta's middle and high schools are title 1. I don't know how much of the expenditures might be one time expenditures (renovations maybe?). Beyond that I agre that the size of the school probably has an effect on costs/efficiency. Also note that the default selection for the map is "general fund" --you can choose "select all" and then "apply" to include all sources of funding.
This is pretty similar to the pattern of DeKalb schools. The Title 1 elementaries get nearly 50% more than the schools that don't have as many poor students.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,526 times
Note that North Atlanta is still the cluster that receives the most funding overall. And North Atlanta High School is a palace.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:51 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Note that North Atlanta is still the cluster that receives the most funding overall. And North Atlanta High School is a palace.
Seriously. I would LOVE to have gone to high school here.

That view....

It's even over a pretty little Lake or large pond....

Just a gorgeous setting overall....

Compare this to the older, crappy schools in South Atlanta lmao. You would NEVER see this type of investment go to a school in West or South Atlanta. EVER.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

That view....

Compare this to the older, crappy schools in South Atlanta lmao. You would NEVER see this type of investment go to a school in West or South Atlanta. EVER.
Maynard Jackson overhaul is amazing, while they did not re-purpose an old IBM building it is a beautiful building.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Maynard Jackson overhaul is amazing, while they did not re-purpose an old IBM building it is a beautiful building.
Yep, a nearly 50 million dollar renovation to Jackson high just in 2013. No need to always play victim.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,526 times
Nobody's playing anything, Jackson high school looks fantastic and is a great school, but North Atlanta is a former tech company campus. It is a luxurious school, and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend that part of the city is being shortchanged.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:03 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post

That view....

To be fair I think Mays is the only APS HS that hasn't been updated up to this point and I could even be wrong on that one. Have you seen Therrell lately? That thing looks like a spaceship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta