Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 02:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,308 times

Advertisements

Hello,
New member here, thank you for reading my post. I am trying to help family members purchase first home in Newnan or surrounding area.
I am not local to the Newnan area; family members are fairly new transplants (18-20 months). They have the understanding from RE folks and HOA folks that "homes under 200k with no HOA are higher drug/crime areas" I'm thinking this might be true sometimes, but it's an awfully big generalization, which may be to the benefit of those who profess it. Anyone with experience in Newnan area have opinions on this? Thank you in advance.
LilyMae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 PM

116 posts, read 119,093 times
r u a real estate agent?

Old 03-06-2017, 02:59 PM

No, I'm a family member and zillow watcher, trying to help (from a distance) w a purchase and trying to keep it affordable. In my first post, "RE" folks refers to "Real Estate" folks, if this clarifies. Thanks

Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
Not necessarily. The best thing to do is find a neighborhood that they like, THEN walk around and TALK to their potential neighbors who can give them the best insight as to what is really going on in the community. That is what I did before I bought my present home (well below their target price) and I could not be happier. This is also what I advised my clients to do several years ago when I sold real estate on the side. It gives you a real picture AND, should you decide you like what you hear, it builds a sense of community with your new neighbors: a true "win-win". No "website" can give you the real deal.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will encourage them to follow your advice.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:45 AM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Most of the neighborhoods in Newnan are safe. The only areas where there tends to be issues is near Pinson Street which is adjacent to downtown Newnan. This area is considered the Newnan "Hood". It's an area of low income housing with some small time drug dealers. Outside of that, Newnan is very safe. Also keep in mind that more than half the homes listed with a Newnan address are outside of the city limits. Most of unincorporated Coweta County has a Newnan address and there is a big mix of housing options from rural, to suburban, & even in-town. Like I said, most of the houses away from downtown are in very safe areas especially in the Northgate High school attendance zone.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Thanks for this additional helpful information. I'm hoping these ideas will help our young family members consider a more practical starter home purchase. Seems another point of resistance is the "hassle" of resale in a few years. But then I am also being told the market is hot and prices are going up, so that tells me if a starter home is cared for and maybe even improved, resale should not be a big problem. I think part of this is the "gotta have it" syndrome, but I'm just trying to present practical alternatives. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: