Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:57 PM

761 posts, read 895,576 times

Advertisements

Everyone knows living intown is expensive. So how much can you save annually by leaving Atlanta for the suburbs? Apparently $12,560 according to this article, which ranks Atlanta #6 on the list, but it's well behind the $70,000 you can save by moving out of NYC for the suburbs.

https://mic.com/articles/170505/this...rbs#.fF45drmh8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,169,058 times
These things are never clearly defined as far as what they mean by 'Atlanta'? Are we talking about inside the municipal limits proper? Or some other vague definition?

I live in (unincorporated) Atlanta, I live ITP, but I also live in what most would call the suburbs and I also live in Cobb County.

I could not have afforded the equivalent of my condo if it had been in Midtown, but I could have afforded a bigger place up in North Springs, possibly even a townhome. Might could have afforded a smaller/older place in Buckhead, maybe. Or I could have bought a big house in Lawrenceville.

And that all makes sense. Location is an important factor. There is a totally valid reason Inman Park is a lot more expensive than Smyrna.

All comes down to personal preference, and what you prefer and what your trade off is. Since all I do with my life is post on City Data, living in Cabbagetown would be wasted on me. Indoors and the internet are the same everywhere. But at the same time, I purposely chose a place ITP, near as possible to the city, so I could have everything conveniently nearby.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:30 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Everyone knows living intown is expensive. So how much can you save annually by leaving Atlanta for the suburbs? Apparently $12,560 according to this article, which ranks Atlanta #6 on the list, but it's well behind the $70,000 you can save by moving out of NYC for the suburbs.

Depends on your situation.

Based on where I work, where our family and friends live and where we carry out most of our other activities, it's cheaper (and far more convenient) to live in the city proper. I'd consider moving to the suburbs at some point down the road but right now it wouldn't make sense.

ETA: Proximity to grandchildren and schools is a biggie for us.

Last edited by arjay57; 03-08-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 05:38 PM

821 posts, read 718,835 times
I save 10 hours a week of my life by not commuting from the suburbs. Worth it more.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

1,054 posts, read 914,734 times
The smartest must be those who live outside CoA but chose enough not to hate their commute ��

Old 03-08-2017, 06:01 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,656,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post

From Atlanta's blurb:

Quote:
Suburbanites commute only an two extra minutes to get to work, but still see a significant difference when it comes to property taxes and mortgage payments. Annual housing costs in the suburbs are on average about $13,570, compared to the $22,440 you'll pay in the city.
So... color me a tad bit skeptical. I'm assuming this is an issue of averages. If you look at this map, of average commute times by county, then you'll see the metro generally hovers around 29 minutes, with Fulton being the lowest with 27 minutes.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed though, which shows the average commute times broken down by zip-code around the core of the metro, you'll see that a TON of the core-city zip-codes have shorter average commutes. Not necessarily by a lot, but there it is.

Then there comes the question of why someone's commute might be just as slow. Is it because they're walking part of the commute, or taking a bus, or a train, or even biking? Without diving too deep into the specific numbers and methodology, I couldn't tell you if they're pricing the commutes the same, or what's exactly going on.

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 06:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,245,422 times
OMG, people love to blog about and link to any article that involves a list. That number for Atlanta is insane. My house didn't cost any more than a newly-built house in the suburbs, and even if my previous property tax payment was $0 when I lived in the suburbs, what I pay in the city of Atlanta doesn't come remotely close to $12k a year. Maybe I could save that much annually if I had a $1m+ house.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 PM

1,180 posts, read 971,448 times
In other news: trade-offs

Old 03-08-2017, 08:30 PM

761 posts, read 895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
From Atlanta's blurb:

So... color me a tad bit skeptical. I'm assuming this is an issue of averages. If you look at this map, of average commute times by county, then you'll see the metro generally hovers around 29 minutes, with Fulton being the lowest with 27 minutes.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, though, which shows the average commute times broken down by zip-code around the core of the metro, you'll see that a TON of the core-city zip-codes have shorter average commutes. Not necessarily by a lot, but there it is.

Then there comes the question of why someone's commute might be just as slow. Is it because they're walking part of the commute, or taking a bus, or a train, or even biking? Without diving too deep into the specific numbers and methodology, I couldn't tell you if they're pricing the commutes the same, or what's exactly going on.
I agree. I found the commute differential between the suburbs and the city a little hard to believe; however, I guess there are multiple job centers in Atlanta (airport, downtown, midtown, perimeter, 400 corridor).

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,314,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I save 10 hours a week of my life by not commuting from the suburbs. Worth it more.
It all depends on what people want in their life. To many, living in a concrete jungle of dense buildings on grid streets is soul-crushing. Sure, you might have shorter commutes, but there's a whole life outside of work. If you enjoy open space, nature, lakes, etc...living in the middle of the city might not be for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta