Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post

Not that facts have ever stopped City-Data commenters from lighting their hair on fire about a real estate story.
Or it could be that the article is inaccurate and, despite what they say now, what they're going to do with the property remains to be seen. Sort of like, I mean exactly like how the two Beltline articles that were posted earlier this week that had contradictory quotes from Beltline reps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:44 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, I'd prefer to see the shopping center saved if possible. It was one of Atlanta's first strip centers. When our first was a tiny bambino, I made many a late night trip to Plaza Pharmacy to pick up medications. I've seen movies at the theatre and had many a meal at the Majestic.

Hopefully the NPU over there will help them shape any new developments in a positive fashion.
Someone just reminded me that Plaza Drugs wasn't considered unique or quirky in those days. It was maybe 25 years old and was pretty much a typical drug store of the time.

However, it stayed open 24 hours so a lot of folks went there to get prescriptions filled after hours.

I think I'm getting old.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Or it could be that the article is inaccurate and, despite what they say now, what they're going to do with the property remains to be seen. Sort of like, I mean exactly like how the two Beltline articles that were posted earlier this week that had contradictory quotes from Beltline reps.
Go ahead and set that coif ablaze then, pal.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:44 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, I'd prefer to see the shopping center saved if possible. It was one of Atlanta's first strip centers. When our first was a tiny bambino, I made many a late night trip to Plaza Pharmacy to pick up medications. I've seen movies at the theatre and had many a meal at the Majestic.

Hopefully the NPU over there will help them shape any new developments in a positive fashion.
It was the first strip center built in Atlanta, and one of the first in the U.S. It was a big deal when opened and heralded the advent of amenities following people to the suburbs. Plus I love its' unique Deco style.

The Plaza Theatre & Briarcliff Plaza - History Atlanta

Old 03-09-2017, 02:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
https://youtu.be/PnSkNHuHBmw

Old 03-09-2017, 02:49 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
It would be tragic if these landmarks are lost to another apartment or condo tower. I remember having a few late night meals at the Majestic where the waitresses were antiques from another era

Old 03-09-2017, 02:54 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Start contacting the preservation agencies and your city reps. Start fighting now before they even think it. That really should be preserved from demolition.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:10 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
You all realized that a developer owned it before too, right?

Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
The article says this:

Not that facts have ever stopped City-Data commenters from lighting their hair on fire about a real estate story.
Excellent, thank you. That is exactly what I was hoping to read!

If they keep their word on that, and just add to the existing buildings, then this should be an excellent thing for everyone involved!

Old 03-09-2017, 04:17 PM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It was the first strip center built in Atlanta, and one of the first in the U.S. It was a big deal when opened and heralded the advent of amenities following people to the suburbs. Plus I love its' unique Deco style.

The Plaza Theatre & Briarcliff Plaza - History Atlanta
I like it, too. When we were going there in the early 60s the center was still fairly modern (a little over 20 years old) and was just regarded as the local drugstore and movie theater. It didn't really acquire its savoir faire until Ponce began to stumble in the 1970s.

When you look back it's really remarkable how quickly an area can go from comfortably suburban to quirky urban icon. A decade or two is really all it takes for those swings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta